Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There are few great emulator options for OS X, but that is set to change in the near future as multi-source system emulator OpenEmu prepares for an official launch.
Open Emu is an open source project to bring game emulation to OS X as a first class citizen, leveraging modern OS X technologies such as Cocoa, Core Animation and Quartz, and 3rd party libraries like Sparkle for auto-updating. Open Emu is based on a modular architecture, allowing for game-engine plugins, this means Open Emu can support a host of different emulation engines and back-ends while retaining a familiar OS X native front-end.
OpenEmu, which has been in beta for quite some time, is able to emulate the hardware of several different consoles. Version 1.0 of the software will include support for several 16-bit systems, including the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, NeoGeo Pocket, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo, among others.

Support for additional systems like the Nintendo 64, the Nintendo DS, and the Sony PlayStation will be added in the future.

pic-browser-800x556.png
The emulator features a slick iTunes-style design, displaying downloaded ROMs in a menu organized by system. Designed from the ground up for OS X, it offers up a native OS X interface.

With full save state support, the software allows for multiple ROMs to be played at once and it also provides OpenGL scaling, multithreaded playback, and gamepad support.

At this point in time the team behind OpenEmu is working on polishing the app and adding final artwork, but the release is "close."

pic-pref.png
OpenEmu was previously available as a beta download and the beta version of the application can still be acquired by downloading and compiling the source code via Xcode. A full set of instructions is available here.

Article Link: OS X Targeted 'OpenEmu' to Deliver Native Mac Interface to Console Emulators

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
OMG! Road Rash for Sega Genesis would be awesome. Been a loooooooong time since I've flown around corners in the air at over 100mph while beating someone else with a club!

solaris7

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Cannot wait for the PS support, been looking for a good mac emulator for a while now....

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
That is pretty cool. Don't have much time for that these days, but playing Mario Kart on my laptop was how I chugged through some of the more boring classes in college.

Would be nice to have this available to play some Mario Kart or Super Mario again down the road.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Not to be a downer but wouldn't old games coded for SD television either look native in a small window (720 x 525 or less) or show a fair amount of pixelation/jaggies scaled up to- say- an iMac (full) screen? I don't think at least some of those old consoles were using much vector back then; I though bit map graphics was most of THE way back in those days.

Nevertheless, sentimental joys could be upon us again.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Not to be a downer but wouldn't old games coded for SD television either look native in a small window (720 x 525 or less) or show a fair amount of pixelation/jaggies scaled up to- say- an iMac (full) screen? I don't think at least some of those old consoles were using much vector back then; I though bit map graphics was most of THE way back in those days.

Nevertheless, sentimental joys could be upon us again.

Give me my sharp jagged pixels on as large a display as possible. I love it! Any attempt to "smooth" them will be met with as much animosity as I can muster for 3:45 on a Tuesday! Garrrrrhhhhh!

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Looking forward to this too. I wonder how controller input will be. I have some great emulators on PC where I can use real controllers through usb links. Hopefully I can use real controllers through usb links on this mac program too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.