Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ypn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
When I converted a MKV movie file (1080p) at 3 MBPS, it worked. However, when I tried to convert the same file at 6 MBPS, the converted file cannot be opened with Quicktime or VLC player, although there was no error message from HandBrake. However, when I cancel encoding in the middle, the truncated file appears to be okay. So I am wondering if HandBrake has a problem to produce a large size of movie file.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
When I converted a MKV movie file (1080p) at 3 MBPS, it worked. However, when I tried to convert the same file at 6 MBPS, the converted file cannot be opened with Quicktime or VLC player, although there was no error message from HandBrake. However, when I cancel encoding in the middle, the truncated file appears to be okay. So I am wondering if HandBrake has a problem to produce a large size of movie file.
Do you have large file size checked?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Does the mkv contain a non-mp4 compatible data stream? If it is encoded with H.264 then you do not need to transcode with Handbrake. Just extract the video and put it into an MP4 container.

ypn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Does the mkv contain a non-mp4 compatible data stream? If it is encoded with H.264 then you do not need to transcode with Handbrake. Just extract the video and put it into an MP4 container.

Which app do you suggest to convert audio track to AAC format with Apple CoreAudio, instead of ffmpeg?

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Which app do you suggest to convert audio track to AAC format with Apple CoreAudio, instead of ffmpeg?

are you on a mac or windows? For windows i use XMedia ReCode; for mac i heard MP4Tools is a great app. I haven't used MP4Tools, but XMedia has an option to copy the "video" and "convert" the audio. So I would assume MP4Tools may have a similar feature.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
are you on a mac or windows? For windows i use XMedia ReCode; for mac i heard MP4Tools is a great app. I haven't used MP4Tools, but XMedia has an option to copy the "video" and "convert" the audio. So I would assume MP4Tools may have a similar feature.
Yes, if you are on a Mac and changing the container from mkv to mp4 for videos that already use the h.264 codec and for formatting the audio to be optimized for the aTV (AC3+AAC stereo), MP4Tools is a very good app.

ypn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Yes, if you are on a Mac and changing the container from mkv to mp4 for videos that already use the h.264 codec and for formatting the audio to be optimized for the aTV (AC3+AAC stereo), MP4Tools is a very good app.

MP4Tools worked so nicely. Thanks for letting me know.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
MP4Tools worked so nicely. Thanks for letting me know.

Yes, MP4Tools is good and what I had in mind. Avoiding the transcoding is not only faster, but also maintains quality. Often I also use subler to add data streams, subs, meta data, etc.

ypn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Yes, MP4Tools is good and what I had in mind. Avoiding the transcoding is not only faster, but also maintains quality. Often I also use subler to add data streams, subs, meta data, etc.

Let me ask one more thing regarding MP4tools. Often, I watch movies on a Mac. When I play 5.1ch surround on a Mac, does it play only front L and R channels? If this is the case, I guess I should have mixed down 2 ch in addition to 5.1ch surround. Does MP4tools mixdown by Pro Logic II?

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Let me ask one more thing regarding MP4tools. Often, I watch movies on a Mac. When I play 5.1ch surround on a Mac, does it play only front L and R channels? If this is the case, I guess I should have mixed down 2 ch in addition to 5.1ch surround. Does MP4tools mixdown by Pro Logic II?

Your Mac has only 2 speakers I guess. So if you have 5.1 surround, it will downmix it to 2 channels, normally using contributions from all the 5.1 channels (L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs) (though LFE usually omitted).

Downmixes are typically normal Stereo, Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Pro Logic II. Metadata in in your 5.1 surround file determines what downmix is performed by your decoder.

Don't know if MP4Tools downmixes to Pro Logic II, but depending on your surround source (DTS 5.1, or AC3 5.1), I recommend a pure stereo downmix and not some phaseshifting downmix. Those may produce steering artifacts.

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yes, it creates an AAC Dolby Prologic II stereo track.

ypn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013

I am wondering if MP4tools uses Apple's Core Audio AAC encoder, which appears to be much better quality than ffmpeg encoder for mac. The log for MP4tools indicates ffmpeg but I do not understand if this means ffmpeg is used for audio encoding.

Attachments

• log.png
    log.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 201

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I can't say if it uses ffmpegs aac encoder from the log, however I can tell you that you are correct that coreaudio aac is *much* better than ffmpegs aac encoder. Its the reason HB for mac added the coreaudio aac encoder.

ypn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
I would suggest contacting the developer for that info: emmgunn@gmail.com

He has always been very responsive to my questions about his product.

I got response that MP4tools uses ffmpeg. Unfortunately, HB appears to have no option for pass through video....

Is there any app to encode audio track with coreaudio aac?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Subler can change containers and create an AAC from an AC3, but I not sure what it uses to do the conversion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.