Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chele519

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
I just got an apple tv yesterday. I connected it to my Onkyo receiver using the hdmi cable I was using for my laptop. It worked fine tonight for about 1/2 hr using airplay mirroring and then stopped, the video continued playing on my phone but froze on the tv screen. Nothing I did worked so, called support and was told to restore. It still wouldn't airplay after that so I called back and was told it had to be connected directly to the tv. Has anyone had to do this? I'm surprised that it can't go thru a receiver.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Once a while HDMI devices don't play nice. Dunno what to tell you.

I don't have an HDMI receiver but my TV has 4 HDMI inputs so direct connection, never had any prob. All I do is to program my universal remote with the proper switching codes, nuthing to it.

alexatwork21

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2013
I have Apple TV running through my Onkyo receiver (TX-NR5007) and have never had an issue. I would try another HDMI cable, and that doesn't work, ensure that both your receiver and Apple TV have the most up to date firmware.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I have Apple TV running through my Onkyo receiver (TX-NR5007) and have never had an issue. I would try another HDMI cable, and that doesn't work, ensure that both your receiver and Apple TV have the most up to date firmware.

+1 I also have it hooked up to my Onkyo and I also never had a problem. I echo the suggestions above.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I know support people will tell you anything to get you off the phone, but saying ATV needs to be directly connected to the TV is ridiculous. It works absolutely fine through an HDMI switching receiver (I also have an Onkyo). On the very rare occasion I've had an Airplay issue (maybe twice ever), the thing that's fixed it was rebooting the network everything is connected to, i.e. wireless access point, router, switch if you use one, then finally ATV. Perhaps the high traffic level is too much for an always-on router if there's an underlying issue that increases over time, for example a memory leak in the router firmware. I haven't had to do this a long time now, but then I have a different router nowadays.

I have several devices connected via HDMI to the Onkyo AVR and from there to the TV via HDMI, and it all works perfectly. In fact, the only HDMI issues I've ever had were back in the day before getting the AVR, and directly connecting things to the TV. Back then, HDCP handshake errors were not uncommon. So for me, the AVR has fixed problems that direct connection could not seem to.

If this problem is repeatable with only this particular content, then it's not completely impossible it's a bug in Airplay either in ATV or in the sender. If it's repeatable with a variety of content, then it's more likely the network or HDMI cable, or I suppose there's an outside chance the receiver is faulty.

chele519

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
I have switched HDMI cables and plugged in to the tv and it worked again last night but it still doesn't make sense to me. It's not that the apple tv won't output to the receiver, hulu plus worked, I don't have a subscription yet but it came up with the option to login or set up, and other options worked. It was just that it lost the connection from the phone. I think what may have happened is that I had sleep set at 15 minutes. I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that if it was receiving from the phone that sleep would not turn on until it stopped receiving a signal. Maybe that's not the case and it just shuts off at 15 minutes even if it's being used. My laptop doesn't work that way but who knows. I'll switch it back to the receiver tonight and see what happens this time. Thanks for the replies.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
A sleep bug arose on the ATV 3 with the 5.1 iOS update I believe. It was fixed with subsequent updates. I am not sure if this is your issue but Make sure you have the latest software installed on the ATV.

chele519

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
A sleep bug arose on the ATV 3 with the 5.1 iOS update I believe. It was fixed with subsequent updates. I am not sure if this is your issue but Make sure you have the latest software installed on the ATV.

The newest update installed automatically when I first hooked it up but the restore I did last night did it again

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Just for fun try rebooting your router, sometimes they can get a bit "off" with airplay.

also not sure what the status on this is, but sometimes the aTV plays better with wireless ethernet that it does with wired. I've seen several threads on here that whatever problem they were having was fixed by changing from wired to wireless ethernet. (or if you're wireless and can go wired, try that.)

i've had my aTV (2 and now 3) hooked up through my Denon receiver since i got them. never had a problem.

going through the receiver might cause a problem with HDCP, but as long as everything is new-ish, than you shouldn't have a problem.

Gozar

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Austin, TX
My Apple TV2 works fine through my Onkyo PR-SC5507. I did have to have my HDMI board replaced in my Onkyo when it failed, and looking through many AV forums this is not uncommon on Onkyo's so could be a sign yours is going.
Is the ATV hard wired or connected wirelessly? If the other apps on the ATV are working and you continue to have issues with Airplay, it might make sense to look at the WiFi connection, of course if moving the HDMI to the TV works in all cases this can be ruled out but I have seen stranger things happen.

rbcress01

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
I took a different approach to connecting my ATV to my receiver.

Instead of connecting the HDMI to the receiver I used the Digital Audio out from the ATV to the receiver. I connected the HDMI straight to the TV.

I did this so I don't have to turn on the receiver every time I wanted to watch something on the TV.

For my situation this is a better solution.

I am using a Sony Receiver and a Sony TV.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I have 2 onkyo receivers with ATV's hooked to them. my more expensive tx nr709 gets stupid sometime and I have to completely unplug it to reset the hdmi input. the cheaper one, I cant remember the model, but it never has an issue.

chele519

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
The atv is hooked up with an ethernet cable. I switched HDMI cables and plugged it back in to the receiver so I'll try it like that again and see what happens. I have the receiver set to turn on automatically with the tv so that I always have surround sound. I only have basic cable with no cable box so I just have the cable from the wall to the tv and audio out from the tv to the receiver.

I really think it might have something to do with it going to sleep. I have the same issue when streaming video on my laptop. I have to jiggle the mouse every 10-15 mins because if i don't the display goes black. Sometimes it loses the volume and then I have to close the website and reopen to get the volume back.

I just don't understand why the HDMI could even be the problem. I was still able to control the apps with the remote app on the phone and it still saw my itunes library so it was still connected to the phone and the internet. It would make sense if other things had stopped working but it was just mirroring from the phone.

I don't think it was due to the website I was streaming, it was cbs.com. before i started the video, mirroring had worked and shown the home screen on the phone and I was playing a game shortly before. After the tv screen froze and I reset the atv, nothing on the phone would mirror to the screen. If it were a network issue, wouldn't the phone have stopped completely communicating with the atv? If it was due to the website I was viewing then I would think the phone would still be able to mirror the home screen.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If it happens again, I'll plug it back in to the tv directly and see if that solves it. In the meantime, I'm going to turn off sleep and just use sleep now when I am done with it for the night.

Lobstrosity

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
The atv is hooked up with an ethernet cable. I switched HDMI cables and plugged it back in to the receiver so I'll try it like that again and see what happens. I have the receiver set to turn on automatically with the tv so that I always have surround sound. I only have basic cable with no cable box so I just have the cable from the wall to the tv and audio out from the tv to the receiver.

I really think it might have something to do with it going to sleep. I have the same issue when streaming video on my laptop. I have to jiggle the mouse every 10-15 mins because if i don't the display goes black. Sometimes it loses the volume and then I have to close the website and reopen to get the volume back.

Have you set your laptop to not go to sleep? If not, then your laptop is going to go to sleep after 10-15 minutes and when it does so it will stop sending the video to apple tv. When this happens it's possible that there are some unintended side effects, such as the audio cutting out and not restarting again automatically.

chele519

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Have you set your laptop to not go to sleep? If not, then your laptop is going to go to sleep after 10-15 minutes and when it does so it will stop sending the video to apple tv. When this happens it's possible that there are some unintended side effects, such as the audio cutting out and not restarting again automatically.

The laptop doesn't go to the apple tv. I'm talking about 2 separate issues but I think it is the same problem just on 2 different devices. My laptop shuts off the display when connected to my tv via hdmi unless I move the mouse every so often. If it's streaming video, why doesn't that prevent it from going to sleep? It's still being actively used. I think that's what happened with the apple tv. Sleep was set at 15 minutes but I thought that if it was receiving a signal from the iphone, that would stop it from going to sleep.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
If all else fails, run HDMI to your TV and optical to your receiver. I have an older receiver that has no HDMI ports, so I do that and it works fine.

stikle

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
Another +1 for an Onkyo (TX-NR708). Worked flawlessly with my ATV 2 and now my ATV 3 when I upgraded. AmazonBasics HDMI cablesare awesome.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I have mine plugged into my Marantz receiver with no problems. But I would suspect the problem could be in the HDMI handshake between ATV and the receiver--this can cause problems in any component. I had problems with my first Blu Ray player--and most of what I read puts the blame on the HDMI protocol. Unfortunately, if that is the problem, it can be tricky if not impossible to fix. My fix was to try a different Blu Ray player and the Sony I have now works great. One suggestion is if you have access to another receiver to give that a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.