Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of Friday's launch of the iPhone on T-Mobile USA, the carrier has announced details on its trade-in program designed to entice current iPhone 4 and 4S users to switch carriers. The trade-in program reduces the down payment on a 16 GB iPhone 5 from $99.99 to $0, with additional credit of up $120 depending on the value of the device being traded.
"Our message to iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 customers is simple: bring in your device and trade up to iPhone 5 on T-Mobile," said Mike Sievert, chief marketing officer for T-Mobile. "We're making it incredibly attractive to buy an iPhone 5 by pairing an un-beatable upfront price and trade-in offer with Simple Choice, the most hassle-free and affordable rate plan in wireless."
tmobile_iphone_trade.jpg
The offer is valid through June 16, with the additional credit applicable to monthly service fees, an outstanding balance, accessories, or another device.

T-Mobile's new "Uncarrier" service plans unbundle device costs from service plans, allowing users to finance the full cost of their devices over 24 months while signing up for contract-free service starting at $50/month.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Announces Trade-In Offer for Existing iPhone Owners Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Cool, I guess. I'll still sell my old phones on the secondary market.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
So what exactly is the value of my trade-in???

I have an old 4 and 4S, but I am pretty sure I can get more for them off ebay or something.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
T-Mobile isn't playing around, it's coming at all carriers pretty hard. That metro merger sure did wonders for their aggressiveness. Now, I wonder how many would actually be willing to pay their ETF to leave their current subscriber.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I like what T-Mobile is doing. If I wasn't so completely satisfied with AT&T I might try T-Mobile. I am eager to see how they do with this different approach they're taking.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Would they let me trade in my ATT iPhone 5?

T-Mobile service in my area is superb, so I am considering just moving over. The cancellation fee on ATT is expensive as heck though.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
This offer is only good until June 16th...

Does that mean we will be seeing new iPhones the next week???

I can see Apple sending out invites to the press event on June 18th.

64Mario64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
I think T-Mobile is doing a customer grab right now. There might be rare good deals to snag. Of course, I've heard that their service is terrible in LA...

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
That's great, especially when you look at what AT&T and Verizon have been doing lately.
Just what do you think AT&T's "been doing lately?"

I've been enjoying fast trouble free unlimited LTE. I haven't had a rate increase in years. I upgrade at every new iPhone release at their lowest upgrade price. That's an excellent way to go. Thanks AT&T!

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
Don't get tricked, I won't be getting one.

A lot of people seeing no contract and reduced price as a bargain, but remember those family plans are still over 100 bucks a month.

Your wallet is still getting spanked, but not just not as hard.

And yes, AT&T is no better.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
So what exactly is the value of my trade-in???

I have an old 4 and 4S, but I am pretty sure I can get more for them off ebay or something.

Why would this surprise you? They offer trade-ins for convenience. These are most likely turned over wholesale to another company that resells them. It's not just phones. Try any industry and see if a trade-in gets you as much as a direct sale to someone who wishes to use the device.

Don't get tricked, I won't be getting one.

A lot of people seeing no contract and reduced price as a bargain, but remember those family plans are still over 100 bucks a month.

Your wallet is still getting spanked, but not just not as hard.

And yes, AT&T is no better.

Much of the time the savings with budget carriers is significantly better if you just need a plan for yourself.

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
You have 5gb until you're throttled. Use it well.

Exactly. Keep checking that usage app and hopefully you won't go a hair over 5gb or throttle for you, so enjoy that full 5gb of LTE UNLIMITED! Been there, done that, F AT&T never looked back after throttling.

dhruhin

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
I wonder what this will bring. Last time T-Mobile announced contract-free iPhones, Verizon CEO said he was ready to remove contracts too.

More importantly, even if you have T-Mobile, you have to love the effort they're putting into getting the iPhone. I wish the other carriers would put half the effort T-Mobile is putting...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Exactly. Keep checking that usage app and hopefully you won't go a hair over 5gb or throttle for you, so enjoy that full 5gb of LTE UNLIMITED! Been there, done that, F AT&T never looked back after throttling.

Nobody is going to throttle _you_, only the speed of your connection. So there is no reason why you shouldn't go to that limit.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Cool, I guess. I'll still sell my old phones on the secondary market.

Exactly! The market price for 4 is at least $200, and for 4S $300, even if they are cosmetically blemished. Then again, people with $ always trade in for not wanting to deal with headaches.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Really Tempting!@

I like T-Mobile's service, I think their LTE in the East Coast corridor is far superior to ATTs. Had an ATT iPad 4 for two weeks are rarely had LTE anywhere in the DMV. Only, it doesn't make much sense to get a 5 when we're a few months away from the 5S - even though, while it may be released in August or September, it'll be several months before you can easily get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.