Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applei5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2013
Vancouver
Hi Everyone , 3 months ago i bought an iphone 5 from craigslist (that i saved up money for a month by selling stuff ) finally i got really excited when i had the money. so i messaged a guy on craigslist and bought it of him everything was working perfect.

After using it for a month i was on phone call and my phone died i couldnt retreive it. so i called apple and explain the situation and they sent me a box by ups for me to send the phone back to them so they can fix it. so i called the ups and schedule the delivery and after week i get a email apple saying the box was empty with no phone on it I WAS SOOO PISSED. so i called customer relation and spoke to manager and he said they will talk with ups and investigate and call me back in 4 days. i went bought a prepaid phone for 30$ and i get a call back from them saying they wont replace my phone cause they got the box empty and they told me to give them proof of purchase.

I contacted the guy i bought from craigslist and he luckily had the receipt so i sent it to apple customer relations manager and they called me back saying * the receipt is not from a authorized seller* so i keep calling the place where the phone was purchased * no answer* i went there in person and the place was shut down and it was pawn shop . now apple is saying they wont do anything till i get the receipt. How can i get the receipt ? its impossible i explain to them and i call like 10 different times spoke with 10 different people nobody is helping me :( i bought this phone by working really hard and supporting apple and this is how i get threated? its really unfair and at this point im not sure what to do :( im just pissed of to the top. can you guys suggest me what should i do? what would u guys have done if you were in my position? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Cvadh387

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
California
If i were you, I would've bought the phone from the Apple store, Apple website, Best Buy, etc....and in NEW condition....NOT craigslist......

BTW, I don't think any of this is Apple's fault, so I don't think you should be "hating" them.

S

syd430

Did you check your coffee table for the phone? Maybe you just forgot to put it in the box.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Why is this Apple fault ?

It's your fault for buying something second hand without proper check of valid receipt from Apple retail store, it's UPS fault for having thieves as employees.

Stop blaming Apple for every single detail...

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Hi Everyone , 3 months ago i bought an iphone 5 from craigslist (that i saved up money for a month by selling stuff ) finally i got really excited when i had the money. so i messaged a guy on craigslist and bought it of him everything was working perfect.

After using it for a month i was on phone call and my phone died i couldnt retreive it. so i called apple and explain the situation and they sent me a box by ups for me to send the phone back to them so they can fix it. so i called the ups and schedule the delivery and after week i get a email apple saying the box was empty with no phone on it I WAS SOOO PISSED. so i called customer relation and spoke to manager and he said they will talk with ups and investigate and call me back in 4 days. i went bought a prepaid phone for 30$ and i get a call back from them saying they wont replace my phone cause they got the box empty and they told me to give them proof of purchase.

I contacted the guy i bought from craigslist and he luckily had the receipt so i sent it to apple customer relations manager and they called me back saying * the receipt is not from a authorized seller* so i keep calling the place where the phone was purchased * no answer* i went there in person and the place was shut down and it was pawn shop . now apple is saying they wont do anything till i get the receipt. How can i get the receipt ? its impossible i explain to them and i call like 10 different times spoke with 10 different people nobody is helping me :( i bought this phone by working really hard and supporting apple and this is how i get threated? its really unfair and at this point im not sure what to do :( im just pissed of to the top. can you guys suggest me what should i do? what would u guys have done if you were in my position? Thanks

Please explain to us - very specifically - how this is in any way, shape or form Apple's fault.

The blame is a lot closer to home: go look in the mirror.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
It's hard, but you may have to write this off and put it down as a lesson very well learnt. Don't buy anything second hand unless you get the receipts and all warranty information with it, and you know where it was originally bought from.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
i get a email apple saying the box was empty with no phone on it I WAS SOOO PISSED.

I have an incredibly hard time believing this. Either you sent them an empty box or someone took the time to open it up, steal your broken iPhone, retape up the empty box, and continued it on its way to Apple. Which seems more likely?

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Even if I have to pay a little bit more buying new from Apple apposed to a third party CraigList, I will, to eliminate any possibility of problems later on. Live, and learn OP. ;)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Why is this Apple fault ?

It's your fault for buying something second hand without proper check of valid receipt from Apple retail store, it's UPS fault for having thieves as employees.

Stop blaming Apple for every single detail...

Agreed. The fault here lies with UPS not Apple.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I love how people here are jumping to saying it's OP's fault just to defend Apple :rolleyes: clearly it's a theft issue with UPS

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I love how people here are jumping to saying it's OP's fault just to defend Apple :rolleyes: clearly it's a theft issue with UPS

This thread has blamed UPS? That's the general consensus I got while reading it.

Op, you're on a bit of a sticky wicket here unfortunately. A claim needs to be filed with UPS, but Apple has to do that, and not you. Apple can't/wont do that unless they have the original paperwork (what's to stop somebody giving a random serial number/one from an eBay ad, etc, setting up a repair, then claiming it went missing whilst with UPS?).

If you don't have the original paperwork, there's not much you can do. This is one you need to put down to experience I'm afraid.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

Hard to say it is "clearly" anything without knowing ALL the relevant information involved. Just as easy to jump to blame UPS as it is to jump to defend Apple. There are too many variables here to sort it out from a distance.

In hindsight, I wouldn't spend all my saved up money on a used device from CL, there is just too much that can go wrong. If I had disposable money and was looking for a deal and willing to take the risk, then maybe.

I wouldn't send anything valuable without insuring it either, especially if it was that irreplaceable to me.

But that is all hindsight. At this point OP, you will need to work the system with Apple and UPS to see what can be done. It may not be much, but it is all you've got at this point since you have no receipt or record that will be considered acceptable.

Wish you well and hope you get some kind of satisfactory resolution.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
From what I read the phone was covered by apple warranty. Where you buy the phone should not matter. I've bought phones off eBay and got apple support. The issue here has nothing to do with apple, its simply a case of theft by someone at ups.

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
1) UPS stole your phone
2) Buy from an authorized dealer

So Apple should just ship people random new phones who have no proof of buying a phone that has a trackable history? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.