Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Panic, the developers behind several popular apps such as Coda and Transmit, have released a new productivity app that allows users to easily view a variety of data relevant to their lives in a single screen.

statusboard.png
The app, called Status Board, was accidentally released in December but was quickly pulled. It allows users to use the app's built-in panels to display information like calendar dates, tweets, email, weather, news and more. In addition, there are two "Pro Panels" that allow business users to use their own customized data sources.
Status Board offers a lot in a tiny package:

- Six Instant Panels
Clock -- Analog or digital, anywhere in the world.
Weather -- Temperature and four-day forecast.
Calendar -- Pick a calendar and see your appointments at a glance.
Mail -- Get messages counts, or see the latest Subject lines.
Twitter -- See the latest Tweets or the volume of tweets.
Feeds -- The latest headlines from your favorite sites.

- Three Pro Panels
Graph -- You provide the JSON or CSV data source, we make it beautiful.
Table -- Toss us some HTML or CSV data and we'll make a nice looking table.
Do-It-Yourself -- Design your own panels using HTML.

- Unbelievable Customization
Resize panels. Easily change your layout. Portrait or Landscape. Select data sources to display, configure how they're presented. The power is yours.

- Easy Board Sharing
Easily e-mail a Status Board configuration to colleagues or corporations and get everyone on the exact same page.

- Full-Screen External Display via HDMI or AirPlay -- In-App Purchase. LAUNCH SPECIAL!*
Put your data on a big, beautiful screen, formatted specifically for HDTV's. No letterboxing!
Status Board is available for iPad for $9.99 in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Panic Releases Data Visualizer App 'Status Board' for iPad

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Panic are really milking it !

Eh? It looks pretty sharp to me, and the amount of customization must've taken a fair amount of coding hours. It's reasonably priced. Whether you personally think it's worth 10 bucks is another matter, but I don't think it's fair to say they're "milking it".

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Eh? It looks pretty sharp to me, and the amount of customization must've taken a fair amount of coding hours. It's reasonably priced. Whether you personally think it's worth 10 bucks is another matter, but I don't think it's fair to say they're "milking it".

Dont get me wrong, i love transmit and coda :) anyway a extra 9 bucks will get you tv-out option :eek:

Last edited:

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Panic are really milking it !

Right.

So what we really need, is more useless game guides, fart apps and sound boards. That's not milking it at all. No, the guys who have been in this business producing Mac apps since Mac OS are the guys who are "milking it".

Attitudes like that are why 95% of the app store is rotten crap.

-SC

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Wow, $10 for two custom data sources and an in-app purchase to allow 16:9 ratio tv out. No thanks.

The sad part is this does look sharp and with a whole lot of tweakings could be useful in business. But I don't need to pay $10 for a clock.

amerdian

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
London, UK
I 've been actually looking for something like this for a very long time, as I wanted to have my iPad display a "home screen" other than the usual home screen, with more information like news, weather etc. all in one location.

So I impulsively bought it, and it looks pretty neat, with the non-distracting black background. And I must say it does what I imagined it would do - in fact, has anyone seen any other apps like that? Combining a clock, news feed, email etc.?

I don't know if it's worth the price tag, and it does seem to be missing some key features (e.g. tap on the calendar events or email to be taken directly to the app, which only seems to work with the RSS feeds for now) but I am actually pleased with it!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Wow, $10 for two custom data sources and an in-app purchase to allow 16:9 ratio tv out. No thanks.

The sad part is this does look sharp and with a whole lot of tweakings could be useful in business. But I don't need to pay $10 for a clock.

I imagine people who need a "clock" only are not really the target audience. You'd want to have some kind of custom data you wanted to display and $10 seems pretty inexpensive for that type of thing. Imagine information screens outside conference rooms at a convention for an example, posting times and results at a race track, or player stats and shot charts at the concession stand of a basketball game.

It's not something I'm going to use but it looks nice and I'm sure people will find uses for it. I can't believe people are whining about paying $10 for an app as if it were a king's ransom now. :rolleyes:

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
Is Panic Violating Apple Store Review Guidelines ? Should be removed?

Section 11.8 of Apple Store Review Guidelines

“Apps that use IAP to purchase access to built-in capabilities provided by iOS, such as the camera or the gyroscope, will be rejected”

Airplay Support and TV Out are build in Capabilities by iOS !

Take this article for example where

http://audanika.tumblr.com/post/3764373878

where app get rejected for having "Purchase Midi Upgrade" .. How is "Puchase TV Out" any different .. there are none .

I love Panics app but they are developers like everyone else and should not get special treatment.

M

Mr.damien

Now regarding other comments, I seriously can't wait to see Apple fall so cheap people that only want .99$ apps can go away and leave us back with few to quality apps as it was the case on mac before.

Last edited by a moderator:

bandalay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Canada
Weird…

that MacRumors would use the image from the "big board" that Panic runs on a big LCD in house as a demo for the app.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009

“Apps that use IAP to purchase access to built-in capabilities provided by iOS, such as the camera or the gyroscope, will be rejected”

Take this article for example where

http://audanika.tumblr.com/post/3764373878

where app get rejected for having "Purchase Midi Upgrade" .. How is "Puchase TV Out" any different .. there are none .

I love Panics app but they are developers like everyone else and should not get special treatment.
I hope they get pulled until they "fix" this. I don't understand how they can nitpick so many things and let such blatant violation go through :/

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
Nice

I bought it this morning as it's almost exactly what I was looking for. However, that said, I think they need to add a built in countdown widget and a widget to link to the iPad reminders app too! Otherwise, it's great.

To those going on about the cost, don't be so cheap! £7 ($10) is nothing for this kind of quality app, after all it's about the same as 2 pints of beer (round here) and they'll never get as many sales as angry birds for something like this.

Not sure about the in-app purchase cost, but I guess for a business, £14 to do this kind of thing is very cheap.

Also, I'm sure that loads of widgets will start popping up to add more cool stuff to your new Panic Statusboard once the cave geeks get their furry mitts on this... :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It looks like a neat app but I don't think I'm going to use it as it is intended. Paying $10 for it just to see if I may want it isn't something I want to do.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
Looks like a cool idea to me. KPIs or key productivity indicators are becoming great ways for people who have data to turn it into information.

If you don't have data that you need to monitor - don't knock those who do.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It looks like a neat app but I don't think I'm going to use it as it is intended. Paying $10 for it just to see if I may want it isn't something I want to do.

I am intrigued as well, but not sure I am willing to pony up the $10 just to see if I might find it useful without more reviews

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
It's 2013... why on Earth Apple doesn't have a built-in demo period/refund period is beyond me. The apps already have DRM... why not just tie a demo period to that as well? Obviously they make more money the current way, but sux for customers.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario

I read a note in one of the reviews (can't remember which, sorry) that said the first update is going to enable letterboxed Airplay as part of the app (which I take to mean Airplay Mirroring).

I think what they're then charging for is the re-sizing/re-formatting of your statusboard to the 16x9 resolution. The only example I can think of is that racing game that when you use Airplay mirroring it actually uses the full tv screen as opposed to most apps that end up letterboxed on a TV.

I could have misread that wrong or the reviewer could be wrong.

Jugney

macrumors member
May 6, 2008

They are not violating the rules. Going to the webpage for the app is educational:

Can I do AirPlay mirroring?
Yes! But it's more than mirroring: our in-app purchase enables a second screen specifically formatted for HDTV aspect ratios to eliminate AirPlay letterboxing! Your Status Board will be reformatted to look its best.

That said, we plan to add basic free AirPlay mirroring (non-fullscreen) in a future build. It'll be a good way to demo Status Board on a big screen. Hang tight!

http://www.panic.com/statusboard/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.