Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Has anybody else been seeing stuff like this?

Screen%20Shot%202013-04-09%20at%2011.15.34%20PM.png

Basically, Facebook is digging through your likes of Books, TV, Music, etc., and are putting news stories by pages posting about them. Is there a way to turn this off? If I wanted to see this kind of stuff I would like those pages, but obviously this is really annoying (especially since I like some things that aren't English natively like some Sports related stuff, so I get my news feed clogged with other language pages) and I definitely do not enjoy this "feature" :mad:.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States

Basically, Facebook is digging through your likes of Books, TV, Music, etc., and are putting news stories by pages posting about them. Is there a way to turn this off? If I wanted to see this kind of stuff I would like those pages, but obviously this is really annoying (especially since I like some things that aren't English natively like some Sports related stuff, so I get my news feed clogged with other language pages) and I definitely do not enjoy this "feature" :mad:.

Yes.

It's their new way of advertising.

I have very few "likes" associated with my account and only use Facebook to keep in touch with certain people.

After all, you are the customer.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Yes.

It's their new way of advertising.

I have very few "likes" associated with my account and only use Facebook to keep in touch with certain people.

After all, you are the customer.

Ugh, I'm tempted to just unlike everything, especially since some of the artists or TV shows I like only bring up pages ran by 15-year old insane fangirls. Blech.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA

I've gone on a bit of a rampage as of late, trying to dissect Facebook's main page and Adblocking specific bits and pieces that annoy the piss out of me. The Safari version of Adblock is really nice in that it helps you figure out what needs to be blocked to kill a specific thing or set of things. While I prefer Firefox for browsing, I start Safari (both have Adblock) when I need to figure out the next section of a page I want to nuke.

If you're using Adblock and have a custom filter (if you're using Adblock and you DON'T have a custom filter, that's sorta a waste...) here are some blockable lines you can consider adding to it. Do so with care, as it may nuke things on Facebook (or other websites) that you like:

Code:
www.facebook.com##DIV[class="_4hh"]
facebook.com##.ego_section
||connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js

Note: this will ONLY WORK when browsing with an Adblock-enabled browser. The minute you fire up Facebook on your iPhone or whatnot, you're going to see all of the ads again.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I've gone on a bit of a rampage as of late, trying to dissect Facebook's main page and Adblocking specific bits and pieces that annoy the piss out of me. The Safari version of Adblock is really nice in that it helps you figure out what needs to be blocked to kill a specific thing or set of things. While I prefer Firefox for browsing, I start Safari (both have Adblock) when I need to figure out the next section of a page I want to nuke.

If you're using Adblock and have a custom filter (if you're using Adblock and you DON'T have a custom filter, that's sorta a waste...) here are some blockable lines you can consider adding to it. Do so with care, as it may nuke things on Facebook (or other websites) that you like:

Code:
www.facebook.com##DIV[class="_4hh"]
facebook.com##.ego_section
||connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js

Note: this will ONLY WORK when browsing with an Adblock-enabled browser. The minute you fire up Facebook on your iPhone or whatnot, you're going to see all of the ads again.

How would I make that code work on the Chrome version of AdBlock? I get one box that says domain to make the script active on, one box with the code to block, and a ## between the two. I tried just copy/pasting your code in but it wouldn't let me save it.

So far I've just been reporting all these stories as spam and hitting "hide all stories from [page I never asked Facebook to show me]" until they go away. I've been seeing fewer of them since but they still irritate me.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
How would I make that code work on the Chrome version of AdBlock? I get one box that says domain to make the script active on, one box with the code to block, and a ## between the two. I tried just copy/pasting your code in but it wouldn't let me save it.

I haven't used Chrome and therefore the Adblock in it. In order to do this in Adblock for Firefox and/or Safari, it's simply a matter of adding lines directly to the custom filter.

It's possible that the plug-in for Chrome can't grok that specific code, and therefore won't be able to block the objects on that page. I dunno... :confused:

jas

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yup, welcome to the brave new world of social advertising.

Pages and brands that you "Like" help Facebook develop a profile about you so they can decide what ads to show you.

Pages and brands your friends "Like" get shown to you too, because hey, if your friends like them, maybe you will too. I see Toyota ads all the time in my feed, with a little line of text that says "John Doe likes this." I curse John every time I see it.

I run a page for a local charity that has a couple hundred "Likes". Every time I update a status or post a new photo it gets sent to the news feed of the folks that "Like" the charity. But I now see a button that lets me spam all of them AND all of their friends. Guaranteed 1500-2000 views! All for just $5.00...

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I have adblocker and I'm still seeing these in my feed. everyday I hate facebook a little more. Almost time to get rid of it and go with google+.......................ew

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I know I was late in seeing it, but when I recently heard that Facebook had signed up with the companies like Axciom I started the account deletion process.

Facebook just has too much need to show financial results now to not take the low road.

Unfortunately, even with my account deleted I know much of my profile will remain. I'm not naive enough to think that Facebook will forget what I liked, who tagged me in photos and my network.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Between adblock and not having too many likes I'm not seeing much of them. I do see a bunch of annoying adds when I use my iPhone though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.