Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

a7_mockup.jpg
The Korea Times reports that Samsung has been excluded from Apple's plans for its next-generation A7 system-on-a-chip expected to be released next year to power upcoming iOS devices. According to the report, Apple is moving forward with plans to shift production to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC).
"Apple is sharing confidential data for its next A7 system-on-chip (SoC) with the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC). TSMC has begun ordering its contractors to supply equipment to produce Apple's next processors using a finer 20-nanometer level processing technology," said an executive at one of Samsung's local partners in Korea by telephone, Wednesday.
Other sources report that Samsung is hoping its own handsets can fill the gap to be left by Apple, as the firm has made significant investments in its processor production facilities, but that some lines may have to be shut down. Samsung is also seeking to increase its work producing graphics chips for NVIDIA.

The report follows similar claims from Taiwanese media last week, which indicated that Apple and TSMC were pushing forward on a 20-nm A7 design for launch early next year. Last month it was reported that Apple and TSMC had taped out a design for the A7, although considerable work remains before the chip will enter production.

With Apple's 20-nm A7 not expected until next year, it appears that the company's 2013 iOS device lineup will have to make use of other alternatives such as a die shrink of the current A6 chip from 32-nm to 28-nm or a more substantially reworked A6 chip. Apple could conceivably also have a new "A7" chip ready to go at 28-nm ahead of the move to the smaller and more efficient 20-nm process node next year.

Article Link: More Claims of Samsung Being Cut Out of Apple's A7 Chip Development

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Good for :apple: I doubt Samsung is too concerned though. They'll be busy keeping up with the S4 demand.

You have to be joking? After all the investment Samsung out in? Having several production lines come to a complete stop is bad for business. You have workers on payroll but you are not producing anything. This will affect Samsung. How much, we'll never know. But it is cause for their concern. Although it poetic justice as they were biting the hand that was feeding them.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
About time. Never made any sense to reveal your plans ahead of time to your competitors like that. This is going to hit Samsung pretty hard. Serves them right too. And competition is good so this is great for consumers as well. Would love to see TSMC continue growing to be a major competitor to Samsung in the chip manufacturing business.

I don't like Samsung as a company because of their CEO convict and corrupt business practices so I would love to see there stuff removed from devices I purchase as much as possible. Don't really like any of their products either. Samsung makes great dishwashers though. My grandmother swears by them and lots of middle-aged to old women like Samsung products.

Last edited:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
this back and forth rumor about the a7 chip supplier,
many user won't care regarding this vendor / supplier politics.

I just hope iOS 7 will be up to par to everyone's expectation.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I was hoping the childish behavior would end with Steve...

If Samsung was a good part supplier, use them.

If Apple took care of their own house by continuing to be creative and innovate, they wouldn't have to worry about Samsung. Honestly I don't know why they'd worry about Samsung in the first place. Their phones run Android. Android is garbage that looks and feels like a middle school kid coded it during 5th period.

I feel like so many of Apple's "problems" have arisen because they have tried to appeal to the masses. They didn't earn that stockpile of cash by following, but by leading.

Get back to the basics and quit with the ******* games.

/end rant. :cool:

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
You have to be joking? After all the investment Samsung out in? Having several production lines come to a complete stop is bad for business. You have workers on payroll but you are not producing anything. This will affect Samsung. How much, we'll never know. But it is cause for their concern. Although it poetic justice as they were biting the hand that was feeding them.

They've seen this coming for months, if not years. I'm sure they've adapted by now. If they haven't, too bad. They'll survive.

Last edited:

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Why are Apple still acting like children now that Steve Jobs is dead? Taking massive risks with moving production so that they can somehow "penalize" Samsung? Really, this is the stuff of schoolyards, not corporations.

You only have to look at Samsung's own ARM offerings to see they are way ahead of Apple, and this won't help Apple catch up.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I was hoping the childish behavior would end with Steve...

If Samsung was a good part supplier, use them.

If Apple took care of their own house by continuing to be creative and innovate, they wouldn't have to worry about Samsung

If I create something incredible, then hand over the schematics to a company that is my primary competitor, am I being stupid?

Yes.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Why are Apple still acting like children now that Steve Jobs is dead? Taking massive risks with moving production so that they can somehow "penalize" Samsung? Really, this is the stuff of schoolyards, not corporations.

You only have to look at Samsung's own ARM offerings to see they are way ahead of Apple, and this won't help Apple catch up.

Apple has always done things there way. This is no different. It's a business move that Apple believes will be in their best interests. That is what corporations do. Besides diversify suppliers is a good thing.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
talk about haters

samsung has done a commendable job with the chips.

when did anyone here have issues with their cpus?

that's right none.

Thank you samsung.

love you long time.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

Completely agreed.

This will strike a huge blow to Samsung's component revenue.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
It is all how you spin it. I'm sure Samsung is spinning it as they were not interested in extending contract with Apple in order to be able to produce a higher capacity for their own phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.