Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Somerville

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
Due to having read many web articles on when the iPhone 5s/6 will be released I'm not sure wether to grab the iPhone 5 now or wait for the next gen. Currently I'm on a PAYG Nokia lumina so when I change isn't a problem. Having recently purchased a mac book and iPad I think syncing my phone with them all would be great so am defiantly making the move to apple, I would go on contract. Opinions on wether its worth the wait and release date would be appreciated :)

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I would wait, so you will be getting the latest ( I guess that's what matters to most of us Apple users ) and the hardware wont be outdated so I would wait the half year, unless you really need and want one right now and you're impatient.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
I guess it is down to personal choice. The release date is speculation..sometime in the summer? only apple know.

I currently have an iphone 3gs and have been considering getting the 5 or waiting. Bottom line for me is I can wait...the 3gs works I'm happy with it. But if it broke tomorrow I would go get a 5 as I need a phone and would want an iPhone.

Maybe wait if you can? but something better will always come along so sometimes you just need to jump in.

My advice..wait if you can knowing that there is no def release date yet or buy now if you need to and be happy that you will be gettting a good phone

Somerville

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2013
Yeah I will probably wait but do you have an idea how close apple share the release date to the release?

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I always think it's silly to wait for something that 1. doesn't exist yet & 2. has no definitive timetable for a release- you may be waiting for next fall for all you know. If you like what you see in the iPhone5, why wait? Keep in mind the next iphone is expected to be the 5S- traditionally the "S" line has only been an evolutionary update to the previous phone. If you are looking for something major, you're probably going to have to wait for 2 releases.

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
I would wait, the next iPhone would be coming out within a couple months,it will arrive in 3/5 months I think so, possibly a faster processor, better camera and especially some other new feature..so I prefer wait to see what the iPhone 5S brings and pick the latest.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I always think it's silly to wait for something that 1. doesn't exist yet & 2. has no definitive timetable for a release- you may be waiting for next fall for all you know.

The other perspective is that it is not silly to wait if:
1. You are no in a hurry
2. You would prefer a better phone

If the guy/girl isn't in a hurry, then I can't think of a good reason not to wait.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
If you Lumia works perfectly wait to see the announcement of the new IP5S and then decide, the old version will still be available for purchase and you might save few bucks so why not waiting...

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I think the biggest reason to wait would be the camera. Just my opinion but it seems like the camera is in for a big upgrade this time around. I could tell a big difference between the iPhone 4 and 4s pictures but little difference between the 4s and 5 pictures so I think apple will make the camera significantly better for the 5s. I think they knew people would buy the 5 for the 4" screen and that it would be better to give people another reason to upgrade to the 5s. Don't get me wrong, the 5 takes good pictures but I think the 5s will be noticeably better. I’m sure it will be a little faster and may even have NFC but a much better camera would be my only reason to upgrade unless it had a bigger screen, which I highly doubt will happen.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
you can always buy it and then sell it for a pretty good price when the new one comes out

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
wait for iPhone

Due to having read many web articles on when the iPhone 5s/6 will be released I'm not sure wether to grab the iPhone 5 now or wait for the next gen. Currently I'm on a PAYG Nokia lumina so when I change isn't a problem. Having recently purchased a mac book and iPad I think syncing my phone with them all would be great so am defiantly making the move to apple, I would go on contract. Opinions on wether its worth the wait and release date would be appreciated :)

I say go and purchase, in the next few weeks, either the Galaxy 4s or HTC One. Why wait for a iPhone 5s with meager update and lots of cost. Apple has abandoned its smartphone innovation in favor of iWatches.:(

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
Unless you absolutely 100% have to get a phone now then with out a doubt WAIT! We are only a few months from the new iPhone coming out, so then you would have the latest and greatest.

Then you can take a look at if Apple is going to step up their game with whatever they announce (iPhone 5s=:mad: or iPhone 6 with bigger screen=:D) and make a decision whether or not to get a HTC One instead.... thats what I'm doing...

Tallguy93

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Unless you absolutely 100% have to get a phone now then with out a doubt WAIT! We are only a few months from the new iPhone coming out, so then you would have the latest and greatest.

Then you can take a look at if Apple is going to step up their game with whatever they announce (iPhone 5s=:mad: or iPhone 6 with bigger screen=:D) and make a decision whether or not to get a HTC One instead.... thats what I'm doing...

By a few, does that mean 2-3 months or 6+ months? lol because if it is 6+ then I would rather buy a 5 now and then sell it and upgrade when the new one comes. As I understand it, we are all just speculating.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
By a few, does that mean 2-3 months or 6+ months? lol because if it is 6+ then I would rather buy a 5 now and then sell it and upgrade when the new one comes. As I understand it, we are all just speculating.

I would say 2-5 months if they go by history:
iPhone 3G - July 08
iPhone 3GS - June 09
iPhone 4 - June 10
iPhone 4S - October 11
iPhone 5 - September 12

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i love my 5. i would buy one now and then upgrade if and when the new one comes out if it's better.

BoostDeuce

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
if the past is true, an incremental upgrade won't be worth it and your latest and greatest iphone won't be much different than the current.

But if you buy now and get one middle-end of 2014, you will get the newest model and a completely redesigned phone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My answer is always the same. Do you feel you need a phone now? Are you happy enough with your lumia that you feel waiting is a possibility? The answers to those questions will answer whether you should wait or go for it now.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I was going to buy the new AWS iPhone 5. But I received the Jelly Bean update on my Samsung Galaxy S2. It is pretty cool and just as smooth as my non AWS iPhone 5, which now goes to my family member.if the 5S has Wi-Fi calling and Swype type text input, I will buy it. Until then, I will enjoy my SGS2, Mackbook air, Apple TV and iPad.

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
I was in the same boat with an upgrade date of 5/1/2013. My iPhone 4s was cracked, from an accidental punch to the screen while off-roading in a jeep, and it became a nuisance to me. I was patiently awaiting to see if Apple would announce an update, but I became impatient and had to upgrade.

I decided to pick up the HTC One, because I knew what I would be getting with the iPhone 5 and because it was 7 months old. I kept the HTC One for about a week and just couldn't adapt to the OS of Android. I found it annoying and almost a PITA to keep up with. The phone is beautiful however...

I picked up the 32GB iPhone 5 that way I could sell it for a bit more than the 16GB "IF" the iPhone 5s or iPhone 6 is really something I feel that I need. For now, this phone is everything I wanted and more. Don't let the "7-month old" technology statement change your mind. It's a great device and has plenty of processing power to do anything you need with a phone.

I went iPhone 5, and It was the best decision for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.