Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
See pictures of weather from other users!

So they now require access to your contacts to let you see the weather? Not just that but see pictures of weather too. I assume that would come from accessing your photos as well? Other users here is not clear as to whether or not those users are or old be users from our contacts list.

What ever happened to an application that just gives you information on what you want without requiring you to hand over private and personal info in return?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 136

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
See pictures of weather from other users!

So they now require access to your contacts to let you see the weather? Not just that but see pictures of weather too. I assume that would come from accessing your photos as well? Other users here is not clear as to whether or not those users are or old be users from our contacts list.

What ever happened to an application that just gives you information on what you want without requiring you to hand over private and personal info in return?
Have you tried using the app without giving permission to access contacts?

I just looked at the privacy settings on my iPhone, and see that MyWeather must have had the same deal (under Settings>Privacy>Contacts MyWeather is "off"). I didn't give it permission to access my contacts, and the app still works. I'm just missing out on what I'm sure must be some awesome functionality. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Tom
[added later: What leads you to believe they are accessing your contacts? I just updated to MyRadar 3.0, and it doesn't show up in Privacy Settings, nor did it ask if it could access contacts.]

Last edited:

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Have you tried using the app without giving permission to access contacts?

I just looked at the privacy settings on my iPhone, and see that MyWeather must have had the same deal (under Settings>Privacy>Contacts MyWeather is "off"). I didn't give it permission to access my contacts, and the app still works. I'm just missing out on what I'm sure must be some awesome functionality. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Tom
[added later: What leads you to believe they are accessing your contacts? I just updated to MyRadar 3.0, and it doesn't show up in Privacy Settings, nor did it ask if it could access contacts.]

Thanks for the kind reply :)

What lead me to believe was what was written in their new update in the attachment I had posted where they said "See pictures of weather from other users".

Also "Upload your own weather photos".

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Thanks for the kind reply :)

What lead me to believe was what was written in their new update in the attachment I had posted where they said "See pictures of weather from other users".

Also "Upload your own weather photos".

Yeah, that kind of stuff tends to make me suspicious, too. But I'm "reasonably" confident that apps still have to explicitly ask permission separately for each database they want to access (contacts, photos, etc.). And this update didn't ask for any access.

Regards,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.