Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vashti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2003
New York, NY
I am trying to buy my brother a birthday gift. He wants to shift from a briefcase to a backpack briefcase in order to have less strain on his back. He would carry his laptop and a pile of legal folders, as well as an iphone, ipad, cords, wallet, a book or magazine, etc. He makes a lot of presentations and wants it to look upscale and professional. He would also like a lot of pockets to separate out various things he needs. We (my family) are willing to spend up to $500, though would love to spend less if possible.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for the help!! :)

Vashti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2003
New York, NY
If I told you he was an awesome guy doing great work in the world and for his family and he had a really bad back, would that shake lose any replys - or am I just asking in the wrong place? :eek:

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
briefcase to a backpack briefcase

wants it to look upscale and professional.

Problem is what you are looking for is basically the laptop storage equivalent of a mullet.

Despite the claims of a mullet being business in the front and party in the back the reality is there is very little business from any angle.

A backpack briefcase is going to make him look like a student, or an IT geek.

Not upscale and professional as requested.

can.rules

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
easy...

Get him a MacBook Air! That'll help his back more than any backpack...

Seriously, backpack and business don't go together. If he carries a lot of stuff, maybe a wheeled briefcase is in order, and will give him a jet-set kind of look.

Vashti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2003
New York, NY
A backpack briefcase is going to make him look like a student, or an IT geek.

Not upscale and professional as requested.

Is there a case that will make him look less like a student or IT geek? So far, we have seen two that are in the right ballpark. There is a Briggs & Riley, which is very functional, but not that attractive. There is a Tumi which is very good looking, but less functional (less pockets, etc)

I was hoping someone here might know of something that married both.

Last edited:

Civil Engineer

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2013
As has been said, there are really no backpacks that look classy in a business environment. That said, when i travel i take an Everki Versa Premium Checkpoint Friendly Laptop Backpack. It is not perfect, but it holds up to a 15" MacPro and has a separate sleeve for an iPad which are in the same checkpoint friendly compartment. i have worn it with suits to board meetings, and while it is not the most stylish thing, it is pretty convenient at least for travel. :D

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
Get him a MacBook Air! That'll help his back more than any backpack...

Seriously, backpack and business don't go together. If he carries a lot of stuff, maybe a wheeled briefcase is in order, and will give him a jet-set kind of look.

If he does a lot of presentations in the real world that won't help him one bit - unless he also brings with him a sack full of real-world adapters. Mind you bringing along a version of PowerPoint that works in the real world.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
As a retired IT geek I have no problems with backpack type cases. I prefer the Targus and Brenthaven models. Basic black, nothing flashy, and fits into most business settings. Company issued Brenthaven even had corporate logo on it.

Rorque

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
Perhaps out of your budget, ...

... but this is perfect, looks more than a million dollars, transforms into whatever format is required to suit the occasion, and will last a lifetime.

http://www.hardgraft.com/collections/all/products/2unfold-allgrey

Apologies if this suggestion is somewhat moot because of the cost, but sometimes the hardest questions have demanding solutions!

edit: from your brief description of your brother, he sounds as though he's worth it.

flyersgl

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2009
South Jersey, USA
You might want to check out Tumi backpacks--they have some really nice looking ones in the $300 - $500 range.

(oops, sorry, I see you looked at a Tumi)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.