Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Can they at least re-release Pod Racer for the PC before they close up for good? Pretty please?

It's a little known fact that begging on an internet forum will actually have an effect

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
News at Yahoo!

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-194516133.html

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," Disney said in a statement. "As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

I guess they'll start licensing Star Wars instead. Maybe better games from the other studios? (go Bungie!)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
They released the source code for JKO and JKA. If you ever wanted to build your own Star Wars game in the Quake 3 Arena engine, now is your shot.

Namjins

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
USA
They made a lot of good games: Dark Forces, Indiana Jones, Monkey Island. My favorite being Full Throttle. Good Memories.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
It's probably much better to just license out the stuff - more developers will be making games, just hopefully not too many bad games with developers just wanting to cash in.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
it was always about the old school adventure games they made, along with x-wing and tie fighter.

great company that just couldn't crank out the hits like they used to.

Fate of Atlantis is probably one of my all time favourite games. It's too bad they had to come out with Staff of Kings...that game was an absolute travesty.

Namjins

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
USA
it was always about the old school adventure games they made, along with x-wing and tie fighter.

great company that just couldn't crank out the hits like they used to.

Fate of Atlantis is probably one of my all time favourite games. It's too bad they had to come out with Staff of Kings...that game was an absolute travesty.

Atlantis was one of the more difficult games I remember.

oberus

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
This has angered me so much. I always said that Disney would ruin the Star Wars franchise!

We need Battlefront 3! Please!

Why? I've never been overly excited about LucasArts game releases. Hopefully this will mean that other developers will take Star Wars games to a whole new level.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
This has angered me so much. I always said that Disney would ruin the Star Wars franchise!

We need Battlefront 3! Please!

Why? I've never been overly excited about LucasArts game releases. Hopefully this will mean that other developers will take Star Wars games to a whole new level.

Yes!

I forgot, Battlefront and X-Wing and Tie-Fighter for all the next gen consoles! Especially use of the Wii U touchscreen the the graphics of the PS4!

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Yes!

I forgot, Battlefront and X-Wing and Tie-Fighter for all the next gen consoles! Especially use of the Wii U touchscreen the the graphics of the PS4!

Please none of this WII rubbish.. Just classic gaming with a controller, I don't game instead of going to the gym, I want to do both at different times.

Battlefront, rogue squadron, empire at war, force unleashed, KOTOR.. Think they were all made by lucasarts (some with external studios)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.