Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Is there anyway to use an iphone on Verizon without a data plan? I would use mostly for calls, and access wifi when available. Like the features, just don't see a need for a data plan.

Thank you

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Today? no.

I could have when I got mine, but only if i had bought the phone outright. My contract was old enough that data was not required on smartphones, so they would have honored that for the iPhone.

I had planned on buying my phone outright this fall and OT having data, but my other phone croaked and I didn't have $650 to do so....

Anyway, I do wish you could get it without data...

Jmclark

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Windham, ME
When I went and ordered mine yesterday, they said you needed a data plan to use an iPhone on the network. I think it would add one if you didn't have one...

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
No, every network (or at least Verizon, AT&T and Sprint) requires you purchase a data plan with a smartphone.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
I believe you "can" use any phone without a data plan. You just use it as a regular phone without data access.

However, what you can not do is buy the iphone at $199 subsidized pricing without a dataplan. You will have to buy it unlocked without a plan at full price of $649 which basically more than if you got a plan.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I believe you "can" use any phone without a data plan. You just use it as a regular phone without data access.

However, what you can not do is buy the iphone at $199 subsidized pricing without a dataplan. You will have to buy it unlocked without a plan at full price of $649 which basically more than if you got a plan.
Not true. Verizon will require you to add a data plan upon activation, even if you bought it off contract. If you don't have one already, they'll either not allow you to activate the phone until you call them or they'll add the $30 data plan automatically. There is no way to get around it.

Dutchster

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
The data plans are a rip off

You buy unlimited minutes - $120 per month. You want unlimited texting - $30 per month. Oh, then there's a data plan - $20 monthly. Insurance...$10...

So, if you're lucky, maybe you have a company discount, and get all this for $160, with the absolute assurance that all these prices will increase. This monopoly is out of control. What a friggin scam. I'm retiring my Smart phone cause its so dumb ass.

macuser44

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
why would you want an iPhone without a data plan? Just buy a regular phone then.

Maybe true for you, but I use my iPhone without a data plan, therefore, "Why would you want an iPhone without a data plan?" is faulty logic, no?

Last edited:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
why would you want an iPhone without a data plan? Just buy a regular phone then.

I used my iPhone 3gs without a data plan. I was always home at the time and on WiFi. The iPhone has so many things you can do without data.

----------

On prepaid att and tmobile you can use any smartphone without a data plan. Also on the smaller carriers this is possible. On Verizon it's not possible.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Data is the number source of profit growth for USA carriers. They give voice minutes away and texting also. (With the popularity of iMessage, whatsapp etc). Carriers knew their easy days of text plans rip off were coming to an end.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Data is the number source of profit growth for USA carriers. They give voice minutes away and texting also. (With the popularity of iMessage, whatsapp etc). Carriers knew their easy days of text plans rip off were coming to an end.

They are still ripping people of with it. Att charges $20 for unlimited texts.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
They are still ripping people of with it. Att charges $20 for unlimited texts.

I should have clarified. I meant verizon and att sharing plans. Att/verizon offer unlimited voice/text with share everything /mobile share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.