Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scampbell70

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
I am a long time Windows and Android user who decided that it is time to make the move to MAC, so I went out and bought a mac book pro and iPad 2. My phone will be replaced with an Iphone when I get my next upgrade. Now I am left with the task of trying to replace all of my software and applications.

I run a VPN and have downloaded the 4od and bbc iplayer apps on my android phone and tablet but I am not able to find a way to make these work on the ipad 2. I have the VPN up and running just fine but I cannot find a way to download the 4od or iplayer apps.

I read that I needed to create a UK apple ID and then log into the UK apple store which I did. However, when I tried to download the free 4od player it asked me for a credit card. I read on the internet that when setting it up there should be an option for no payment method but I saw no such option, it required some method of payment be entered.

I really do not want to jailbreak the device I just want to be able to watch 4od without breaking out the 15" macbook.

Can anyone help me? I am running version 6.1.3(10B329)

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
You need to buy a £5 gift card and pop it on the account. That's the lowest amount of credit yiu can load, it won't ask you for payment details once yiu do that.

I'm not aware of any other way around it.

scampbell70

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
You need to buy a £5 gift card and pop it on the account. That's the lowest amount of credit yiu can load, it won't ask you for payment details once yiu do that.

I'm not aware of any other way around it.

If I buy a gift card can I download apps from the UK and US app stores? Meaning if I have apps from the UK store on my ipad and I log into the US app store will it delete or remove the UK apps? Also were is a good safe and reputable place to buy UK gift cards from the US?

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
If I buy a gift card can I download apps from the UK and US app stores? Meaning if I have apps from the UK store on my ipad and I log into the US app store will it delete or remove the UK apps? Also were is a good safe and reputable place to buy UK gift cards from the US?

You can run both accounts in tandem, the only draw back being that you have to log into the US account to know if the US apps need updating, and vice a versa.

Goes without saying you can't transfer your credit from one store to the other either.

You can buy the gift cards from ebay, just make sure you use paypal to cover your self.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.