Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports on comments from a U.S. District Court judge in Miami chastising Apple and Google for engaging in patent lawsuits as part of a broader business strategy rather than focusing on resolution of the disputes. The judge is currently overseeing a legal dispute that began with an initial complaint by Motorola Mobility in late 2010 and was expanded in January 2012 with the approval of Google, which had agreed to acquire Motorola several months earlier.
"The parties have no interest in efficiently and expeditiously resolving this dispute; they instead are using this and similar litigation worldwide as a business strategy that appears to have no end," U.S. District Judge Robert Scola in Miami said in an order dated yesterday. "That is not a proper use of this court."
apple_google_logos.jpg
Scola went on to blast the companies' "obstreperous and cantankerous conduct" in refusing to streamline the 12 patents and over 180 claims currently involved in the lawsuit.
"Without a hint of irony, the parties now ask the court to mop up a mess they made by holding a hearing to reduce the size and complexity of the case," he wrote. "The court declines this invitation."
Scola has given Apple and Google four months in which to streamline the case on their own before he puts the case on hold.

Article Link: U.S. Judge Expresses Frustration at Apple's and Google's Use of Litigation as 'Business Strategy'

pixelpro

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
What, so they now don't want corporations to use the Legal system, and duke it out Mafia style? Its the Legal and patent system that needs fixing, not the other way round.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It's a shame that they can't work things out and a joke how the courts are used.

Here's hoping it'll change.

Gauntlet999

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2013
Miami?

Funny how they've filed in Miami, about as far away from Silicon Valley and probably one of the least technology savvy areas in the country...

If they get kicked out of that court, hello North Dakota!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this start out as a Motorola lawsuit against Apple claiming infringement on FRAND patents ?

So don't go bashing Apple. Instead the government should start looking at Google for abusing the FRAND patents in lawsuits.

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
It only takes one company to send two to court

If a competitor is willing to create a product that they know violates patents—they are asking to go to court. If a competitor decides to sue you, you must go to court. That sounds like normal use of the system to me.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
While I agree, the companies are taking advantage of the rights afforded them. They're no different then any other corporation using the legal system to their advantage.

Limboistik

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
It blows my mind how anyone can excuse the companies' rights to litigation upon infringement.

If someone copies your idea, it's ok to let it slide?

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
My bet is that the case will be put on hold because parties will not be able narrow things down. In this (Florida) case it's because it's in Apple's interest to hold things off.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this start out as a Motorola lawsuit against Apple claiming infringement on FRAND patents ?

So don't go bashing Apple. Instead the government should start looking at Google for abusing the FRAND patents in lawsuits.

This case was brought about Motorola/Google and the judge is basically mostly bashing Google since they are the one suing. Not sure if anyone is bashing Apple specifically.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Don't hate the players, but hate the game. I'm not supporting this type of patent lawsuit but there are lots of this companies (and patent trolls) using money and litigation to their advantage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.