Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Improvements to the iPad's LED backlighting will allow Apple to create a thinner iPad 5, NPD DisplaySearch's Paul Semenza told CNET.
"It's likely that part of the thinner/lighter design will be reducing the size of the LED backlight, partly by making the display more efficient and partly by using more efficient LEDs," said Paul Semenza, an analyst at NPD DisplaySearch, in an e-mail to CNET.
The Retina displays of the third and fourth generation iPads required a dual-LED backlight along with a bigger battery, which caused them to be thicker than the previous iPad 2.

Semenza also pointed out that a shift to a film-based touch sensor might also serve to reduce bulk. The current iPad mini incorporates a DITO film touch panel sensor which contributes to its 7.2mm thickness. He was unsure whether Apple might consider a switch to different display technology, but some reports have suggested that Apple is investigating IGZO panels.

macrumors-ipad5a-800x600.jpg
Mockup of the 5th generation iPad next to the iPad mini

DisplaySearch has extensive sources in the display supply chain, but a mixed track record when it comes to predictions. Before the launch of the fourth generation iPad DisplaySearch claimed that the tablet would launch with a thinner design, a prediction that ended up being incorrect after the iPad was released with the same form factor as the third generation iPad. The research firm did, however, accurately predict the in-cell display technology used in the iPhone 5.

Rumors of a thinner iPad 5 originated last year and were followed up with photos of an alleged rear shell of the device in January and case leaks in February. Photos of the front bezel of the iPad 5 surfaced yesterday, featuring a narrower iPad mini-style design.

Article Link: More Efficient LED Backlighting May Lead to Thinner, Lighter iPad 5

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This just in:

The next generation of iOS products will be similar to, but better than, the current generation.

You heard it here first, folks!

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
This just in:

The next generation of iOS products will be similar to, but better than, the current generation.

You heard it here first, folks!
I find this funny yet my sentiments to macrumors because this is technically still news no matter how much we dumb it down.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
This crap is already thin enough to cut a bumper in half.

There is no need to make it any thinner.

In fact, can I have a thicker iMac with a blu-ray drive in it please?

No? Ok I will build a hackintosh.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I loved my original ipad, but Since switching to the ipad mini, I could never go back to the regular size. No matter how thin they make it. For me, the mini(even tho its not Retina) is the perfect size.

But they're both great. ;-)

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Next iOS might have bootcamp.
Apple branded furniture! ...maybe.
iAd might be in next OS X.
Next MacBook might have a touch screen.
Next iPad might be lighter with a longer batter life.
Next iPhone might come in different colors and sizes.

I'm an industry analyst and I might be right 100% of the time all the time.

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
iPad 10 will remove aluminum casing, glass screen and all internal hardware to make it the thinnest iPad ever. Rumors stated that iPad 11 will be even thinner

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
thinner is cool i guess, but it's not like it's thick as it is. retina mini would be nice...

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I just really need more space. I am going to get the 128GB or whatever their new max is, plus cellular. As long as I am going to spend that much, I will wait for the new hotness. It doesn't matter to me if it is a revolutionary new product, I just need more space and cellular.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
more thinner parts. next thing we see in an ipad is only a giant battery with thin display, and the next step is the flexible display. exciting times.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Sorry I'm just tired of every "news" article have the words: speculate, might, mock up, maybe, possibly, from an undetermined source, and supposedly. It's not news... it's just some douche bag trying to earn a name when he just happens to have his **** stick to a wall.

If anything actually happens it's because it's a pretty valid assumption or they got lucky. Anyone can do that... get a real job.

(In all seriousness I do realize this is called mac rumors, but it's the same "news" as everywhere else.)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Eh. I feel like "thinner and lighter" are the only things we get to look forward to anymore. And I don't look forward to them being thinner or lighter. They're just fine in both aspects if you ask me...

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
The 9.7" iPad is definitely way too heavy.

When it falls onto your face when reading in bed it hurts.... iPad 5 needs to be much lighter than the iPad 2.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
It seems like we have been waiting for IGZO for forever. Can't wait!

What is this DITO screen we are talking about? Can someone tell me how it differs from in-cell on the iPhone 5? Couldn't they save more space by laminating the glass to the LCD? The iPad mini feels really hollow when you tap on the screen.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
This crap is already thin enough to cut a bumper in half.

There is no need to make it any thinner.

In fact, can I have a thicker iMac with a blu-ray drive in it please?

No? Ok I will build a hackintosh.

Agree this race to be super duper extra thin is pointless when all these sacrifices must be made. Same goes with the iphone. Worry about the other things like battery over being paper thin

----------

The 9.7" iPad is definitely way too heavy.

When it falls onto your face when reading in bed it hurts.... iPad 5 needs to be much lighter than the iPad 2.

most phones hurt too much when they fall into your face, so you want them to be lighter than phones too? :rolleyes:

----------

I'm more interested in the next ipad mini...

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
I'll be buying iPad 5 almost certainly on day 1. I can easily justify it as I've been using my iPad 2 every day since it was released 2 years ago. Would love for it to be smaller and lighter + excited to finally get Retina!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.