Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

French site MacGeneration reports [Google translation] that former Adobe executive Kevin Lynch, who joined Apple as a vice president of Technologies last month, is now heading up a team of engineers with experience designing iPod products.

kevin_lynch_iphone.jpg
While MacGeneration does not know for certain what project the group is working on, the site speculates that Lynch's team may be applying its iPod expertise to Apple's rumored smart watch effort.
Among the names mentioned, we note those of Robert Curtis and Steven Bollinger. The former worked for four years on the iPod firmware, the latter is cited in numerous patents related to Apple's music player and touch screens. Lynch's other recruits have worked on various components of the iPod, from its interface to parts of its system through certain material respects.
Apple's "iWatch" effort is reportedly well underway, with Bloomberg revealing earlier this year that Apple has a team of 100 product designers working on the project. It is, however, unclear exactly how Lynch and his group fit into that team if he is indeed working on the iWatch.

(Thanks for the translation, Arthur!)

Article Link: Kevin Lynch Reportedly Heading Up Team of iPod Engineers, Is iWatch Involved?

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I think this hire is going to end up impressing a lot of folks. The guy is clearly brilliant, and he seems to have a history of devotion to his employers and their products.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
This is one of the more interesting rumors at least to me. Most times I look on and chuckle about rumored Apple products, but this time there are no laughs. If they pull this off it could mean a revolution in technology. Even as a card carrying skeptic I think this might be the real deal. But what do I know. :)

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
Idk how old this photograph is, but I'm loving the original iPhone used in it. I used mine for 4 years... still my favorite iPhone ever.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I'll spare a few trolls the trouble.

- Apple's got no new ideas!
- Tim Cook needs to leave! Look at the stock price!
- I'd never buy a watch, so no one on the planet should want one!
- <insert gratuitous "you're holding it wrong" tired joke>
- They are making a watch but there's no new mac pro? They abandoned the pro user!
- <insert "my watch is snappier" joke>
- <insert "shut up and take my money" meme>
- Oh is apple trying to patent the wrist now?

That should cover most of it. :rolleyes:

That said, I hope this product is decent. It has potential.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I would not put too much into who is managing vs the technical and design leadership. We really don't know how he fits in other than a rather generic title

gcliv

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008

- They are making a watch but there's no new mac pro? They abandoned the pro user!

You forgot G5 PowerBook next Tuesday

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
if hes involved in a watch project hopefully for him it will fare better than his beloved flash which he was proven to be utterly wrong about.

but hes probably their best hire since whats his name from the uk

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
if hes involved in a watch project hopefully for him it will fare better than his beloved flash which he was proven to be utterly wrong about.

k

Flash in its time was pretty awesome.

As for the 'Flash is awesome' he was paid to say it, no matter what he personally thought. Apple understood this, top bed fans don't

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Or.....maybe he's just digging an Apple paycheck and having fun rocking out to iTunes. Don't you just love these so called "sites" with their "iwild" speculation!

Slow news day.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London

Could we get this inserted at the start of every thread on MR?

----------

Slow news day.

And we need to add this one to the list as well

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
the guy who evangelist flash even though knowing its outdated and bloated ?
he'll fit right in the iPod division.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm to believe that Apple has a team of 100 or more, working on some top secret project that has been reported to be well into development and they bring in an outsider to head it up at such a late stage. Note buying it.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010

Please keep refining and adding to your list and post on every story. I'd rather read the bitching in one single post than spread out over multiple posts clogging up a decent discussion by enthusiasts. Mmmmmk thx :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.