Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in March, Marvel announced that it would give away 700 of its No. 1 digital comics as part of a South by Southwest promotion. Unfortunately, the promotion caused more demand than expected and Marvel shut it down early after the ComiXology servers were overwhelmed with requests.

marve1.jpg
Marvel today resurrected the promotion, once again offering consumers the chance to download 700 first issue comic books. In order to compensate for demand, Marvel is using a sign up page and rolling invitations to facilitate a more manageable server load.
Sign up now for your free Marvel.com account for access to the Marvel #1 promotion and get:
-Over 700 Marvel comics that you can read anywhere -- on your computer or compatible mobile device - available for free for a very limited time.
-Exclusive comic book offers, special sales and new release emails
-Access to over 10,000 digital comics powered by Guided View technology
To access the free comics, users can sign up on the website between 9:00 a.m. EST on April 8 and 11:59 p.m EST on April 9 with an email address. Invitations can be redeemed beginning on April 11.

Article Link: Marvel Once Again Offers Up 700 Free First Issue Comics

Frado

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
"Once you receive your Marvel #1 invite, you will have 48 hours to choose your FREE Marvel #1 issues!"

So you have to pick the ones you want? Or can you select them all?:confused:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
smart move. hopefully i can actually download something this time around :eek:

I just went onto the comixology site and added them to basket, then can just download them whenever I want at a later date. Dunno why more people didn't do it that way.

"Once you receive your Marvel #1 invite, you will have 48 hours to choose your FREE Marvel #1 issues!"

So you have to pick the ones you want? Or can you select them all?:confused:

You can select them all. Login thru the comixology website and pick what you want or select them all. Last time they were split into sections: Marvel Now, Avengers, Spider-man, X-Men, etc.

wingsabre

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
I hope DC would have a similar offer like this. Marvel even has Marvel Mondays on Comixology, with 99 cent issues. DC has major releases on Wednesdays but that's about it. There are some sales of back issues, but for the most part they don't have any constant big promotion.

theFATangel

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
I just went onto the comixology site and added them to basket, then can just download them whenever I want at a later date. Dunno why more people didn't do it that way. You can select them all. Login thru the comixology website and pick what you want or select them all. Last time they were split into sections: Marvel Now, Avengers, Spider-man, X-Men, etc.

I logged in myself but cannot seem to find where they list the free 700 that will be available come Thursday. Am I missing something? I already registered.

Maurice :confused:

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
I logged in myself but cannot seem to find where they list the free 700 that will be available come Thursday. Am I missing something? I already registered.

Maurice :confused:

I was able to download a few before the servers went to crap - from what I could tell - if it was the first issue, of any given series and/or volume, (for example, I was able to get the #1 for Avengers, Vol 2, Vol 3 and Vol 4. I already had #1 Vols 1 & 5.) then it was on the list.

They even had the #1s for the mini-series - like "Loki" which was only a 4 issue run. (Awesome, run, by the way.)

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I was able to download a few before the servers went to crap - from what I could tell - if it was the first issue, of any given series and/or volume, (for example, I was able to get the #1 for Avengers, Vol 2, Vol 3 and Vol 4. I already had #1 Vols 1 & 5.) then it was on the list.

They even had the #1s for the mini-series - like "Loki" which was only a 4 issue run. (Awesome, run, by the way.)

Yea it's pretty much all the Number 1's they've ever done, I added about 600 to my basket when it was up last time, knowing I can just download them at a later date when I want. :) that's the beauty of the comixology site rather than using the iOS app, you can download it at a later date as opposed to the app where it just downloads each one.

As I said, it was broken down into categories, like Marvel Now, Avengers, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. they included the other things like Castle. wizard of oz, etc.

Interestingly this time round it says 'over' 700, last time it was exactly 700 if I remember rightly.

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
Yea it's pretty much all the Number 1's they've ever done, I added about 600 to my basket when it was up last time, knowing I can just download them at a later date when I want. :) that's the beauty of the comixology site rather than using the iOS app, you can download it at a later date as opposed to the app where it just downloads each one.

As I said, it was broken down into categories, like Marvel Now, Avengers, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. they included the other things like Castle. wizard of oz, etc.

Interestingly this time round it says 'over' 700, last time it was exactly 700 if I remember rightly.

Maybe they will include Thanos #1 that was new last week... Here is to hoping...;)

caseys

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
logged back into the iOS app today, the free promo isn't appearing, I too tried last time to download many and they just crapped out. I think it looks like you needed to do this specific signup, rather than have an existing account by that time and just check today.... what crap.

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
logged back into the iOS app today, the free promo isn't appearing, I too tried last time to download many and they just crapped out. I think it looks like you needed to do this specific signup, rather than have an existing account by that time and just check today.... what crap.

Yeah, once their servers crapped out, they created a page where you had to input your email address to get notification about the promo.

I got my email on Monday that stated since I had an account, all I had to do was wait until today to get a follow email with my special invite URL.

We'll see. Haven't gotten anything yet.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

Yeah, once their servers crapped out, they created a page where you had to input your email address to get notification about the promo.

I got my email on Monday that stated since I had an account, all I had to do was wait until today to get a follow email with my special invite URL.

We'll see. Haven't gotten anything yet.

You had to do the sign up, once done, people are being let in in waves starting today, only a few peeps will get email at a time, so you might have to wait a couple days before getting the invite URL

Frado

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
"
Why don't you have an Add All to Cart option?

To make sure we have the smoothest possible experience for all users, we chose to remove that option. It was a...
Mar 28, 2013 11:48AM EDT
"

Got my email today, but I can only select the comics 1 per 1. Any other way to add them to your cart all at once? Maybe a (greasemonkey) script or something, I dunno..
http://prntscr.com/10auco

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Doing it now. The web page is nice since it lets you just "buy" them without having to download each one, I assume once they're in the account they can be downloaded whenever.

It's a pain you can't add all or add all of a section, I assume they want people to pick and choose instead of adding them all, but I'm sure lots of people will do that anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.