Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borsten2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
Hello Folks,

After reading a few threads about the Samsung 840 Series in MacBooks I could not find a specific one about the 840 Pro 128GB Edition in a MBP 13" Early 2011.
A user in the Apple Support Forums had trouble with that specific configuration, but i was not able to figure out if it was a general problem.

Is there somebody in this board driving this combination?
I am really looking forward to getting this SSD because of good price/performance relation.
My SMC and EFI-Firmware is up to date and there's 8Gigs of RAM in my machine running 10.8.3 - if that helps.

I hope this has not been discussed before.
Thanks!

borsten2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
Yes, I noticed that thead.
I skimmed through it and was not able to find something specific to my issue.:confused:
Sorry, if I'm missing something there.

Last edited:

borsten2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
Thank you for your effort, andy9l!

Even if those links do not refer to the 128Gig Pro Version in special, I may give it a try.
I dont know if the differences in capacity and Pro vs non-Pro will take effect on the compatibility with my certain configuration.

In case the Samsung won't work for any reason, i tend to try the Plextor M5 Pro 128GB, which has quiet similar test results in benchmarks. Anyone who can recommend that one?

Thanks!

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Even if those links do not refer to the 128Gig Pro Version in special, I may give it a try.

The Amazon review is of the 840 Pro - Early 2011 MBP, working fine.

FWIW: I'm personally confident it would work without issue in your MBP. Make sure you format correctly, follow all precautions upon installation, and update it to the latest firmware ASAP.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
i have the 256 gb version and it works without any problem.... 3 months using it and only enjoying.....

borsten2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
True, but size shouldn't matter...so to speak ;)

As far as they probably use the same controller and firmware, you are presumably right. ;)
I was just wondering about that one guy on the AppleSupportForums having trouble getting his 128 one to work. (He had to set it up on another macbook and reinstall it later)

Thanks a lot!

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
As far as they probably use the same controller and firmware, you are presumably right. ;)
I was just wondering about that one guy on the AppleSupportForums having trouble getting his 128 one to work. (He had to set it up on another macbook and reinstall it later)

Thanks a lot!

Take a risk! I'm very sure it'll be fine - if there was a serious problem, there'd be more than one thread about it! They're extremely popular drives, and 2011 was the year people missed out on SSDs ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.