Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AreYouAMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
Hi guys,

I been looking for dozens of shopping-carts and e-commerce products for a webpage that I am building but all seem to have a lot of complaints or hardly any reviews.

I was looking at corecommerce, digishop, magento, xcart, etc but I am having a hard time picking one out.

What I would like:
1) For it to be hosted on my hosting company (godaddy) and not through theirs
2) I would like to pay a one time fee (license fee) instead of a monthly fee (since this would cost me more in the long run)
3) Where I can have an option for wholesale accounts

There are more features that I would like but those are the main ones.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

AreYouAMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
Forgot to mention.... My hosting is by GoDaddy (shared hosting)

Should I switch host's? And who would you recommend?

Thanks.

john1620b

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Opencart might be a good open source (i.e. free) solution for you. I think it would cover the three points you want. If you go to the main page, you can check out demos of the front- and back-ends. I built my online shop (A Trade For A Trade) with it and it's been pretty easy to work with.

I haven't read good things about GoDaddy, especially recently. This came up in the Opencart forums yesterday:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14710
I would recommend switching. I've used Machighway the last year and had no problems. Their customer service has always been prompt and solved my questions.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
Opencart might be a good open source (i.e. free) solution for you. I think it would cover the three points you want. If you go to the main page, you can check out demos of the front- and back-ends. I built my online shop (A Trade For A Trade) with it and it's been pretty easy to work with..

I'll second this - I'm currently using OpenCart for a client and have found it to be really easy to work with. There is also a lot of flexibility with the modules available for it.

I've used AgoraCart before and it was decent, but I think I like OpenCart more.

aaronchow

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
Magento is the best option for eCommerce websites!

Magento is great for what it does, but the thing is that most of the Magento themes look pretty much the same. So if you're competing with another website that also runs on Magento, it will be tough for you to look different with your competitor.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
what about mp3 stores?

I recently had to shut down the MP3 store for my Wordpress website because it was buggy and having far too many issues. I'm currently looking for another solution that will let me create a full mp3 store w/ a preview player. It's been a tough road so far...

I used to use Magento for the longest time and then discovered BigCommerce. It's a nice hosted solution that has a lot of flexibility, plugins and default themes with the ability to use your own theme. It's nice to use a hosted solution as you don't have to worry about updates, security issues, etc. The price is cheap too.

evopanop

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2004
Inland Empire, CA
Wordpress.org + WooCommerce for me. +10

LOTS of flexibility, easy to use hooks for functionality and styling, lots of additional plug-ins, etc. Great setup. I use it for all of my e-commerce-needing Clients.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.