Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I tried searching this, but I keep getting an error message, on the forum. Thinking about getting an Eye-Fi SD card, but reviews are mixed. Anyone here using one? Thanks.

I use the Eye-Fi Geo X2 and it's great! I take photos with my dSLR, they get sent straight to my iPhone on the go, and then I can share them there. When I go to charge my iPhone, which is every night, I then import my photos into my laptop.

It's definitely worth it if you travel or just don't like cords.

MetRob24

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
New York City
I have the New: Eye-Fi Mobile X2 and it works great, image transfer is quick and fast. The only bit of downside to this model is that it does not come with the "Geo-tagging" feature like the Geo X2 which has "Geo-tagging" included and the Geo X2 is only sold at Apple stores. I did purchase the upgrade to "Geo-tagging" for my EYe-Fi Mobile X2 and it's definitely worth it. Also, the best part of the cards is the wireless transfer of the photos and the organization feature. I have it set to upload the photos directly to iPhoto and to organized it by Dates and they get placed in folders automatically, huge time saver. Really helpful when it comes to organizing your photos.

Which ever of the two cards you get you wont be disappointed. They are really worth it.

Hope this helps.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I'd like to resurrect the thread and get some folk's experience with this card and higher end cameras, exporting to the iPhone or iPad.

My wife loves to take artistic photos with her iPhone 5. I'd like to upgrade her to a real camera. The Sony RX100 takes DSLR quality photos in a compact camera. People are raving about it. My wife could fit this in her purse. But if the workflow of using this camera, then editing photos, applying effects, and uploading to social media is much more complicated than just using her phone, she won't do it.

My plan: get this camera and equip it with an Eye-Fi card and associated app on the phone. She takes pics, selects the ones she wants, uploads them to the phone, edits, and posts to social media.

Questions: Does anyone do this? Does it work well? The camera I mentioned takes 20.5 MP photos! How well does the iPhone 5 handle these? What photo editing apps can handle them? Do they downsample before editing or can they edit native? Does it make sense to dial down the camera to a lower photo resolution before shooting? I'd say 99% of the time 10 MP would be fine.

Thanks for help and input on this.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I have one in my T3i.

Using it as adhoc is pretty quick. But over an actual wifi signal - it's just OK. I wouldn't transfer 20mb pictures. Nor RAW. I used to shoot in RAW only - now I switched back to raw+jpeg so that the smaller jpegs (only) get uploaded via the eye-fi. I put the card in the reader for RAW

I'd like to resurrect the thread and get some folk's experience with this card and higher end cameras, exporting to the iPhone or iPad.

My wife loves to take artistic photos with her iPhone 5. I'd like to upgrade her to a real camera. The Sony RX100 takes DSLR quality photos in a compact camera. People are raving about it. My wife could fit this in her purse. But if the workflow of using this camera, then editing photos, applying effects, and uploading to social media is much more complicated than just using her phone, she won't do it.

My plan: get this camera and equip it with an Eye-Fi card and associated app on the phone. She takes pics, selects the ones she wants, uploads them to the phone, edits, and posts to social media.

Questions: Does anyone do this? Does it work well? The camera I mentioned takes 20.5 MP photos! How well does the iPhone 5 handle these? What photo editing apps can handle them? Do they downsample before editing or can they edit native? Does it make sense to dial down the camera to a lower photo resolution before shooting? I'd say 99% of the time 10 MP would be fine.

Thanks for help and input on this.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Unless Eye-fi has changed their policy and firmware significantly over the past year I won't use it.

It's always felt severely crippled by its reliance on Eye-fi's servers. Odd they don't allow it to FTP directly to a home server or NAS. Add to that it can't connect to an access point unless you have a PC handy to set it up. No in camera menus, even on supported cameras it's just a little battery draining ,slower than molasses transfer, with an on screen icon.

The RX100 is an excellent camera, but I wouldn't stick an Eye-fi card in it.

Unless...

You could transfer directly from the Eye-fi to the iPhone adhoc (doubtful)
Or
Get an iPad and a camera connection kit instead. Get PhotoSync and a Blogging app. Win.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't use their online service. You don't have to to upload/download. Unless you want to manage the files in the cloud.

I do everything with the desktop software. But I agree - not being able to change things on the fly is a detriment. As is the overall speed for "real" files.

Unless Eye-fi has changed their policy and firmware significantly over the past year I won't use it.

It's always felt severely crippled by its reliance on Eye-fi's servers. Odd they don't allow it to FTP directly to a home server or NAS. Add to that it can't connect to an access point unless you have a PC handy to set it up. No in camera menus, even on supported cameras it's just a little battery draining ,slower than molasses transfer, with an on screen icon.

The RX100 is an excellent camera, but I wouldn't stick an Eye-fi card in it.

Unless...

You could transfer directly from the Eye-fi to the iPhone adhoc (doubtful)
Or
Get an iPad and a camera connection kit instead. Get PhotoSync and a Blogging app. Win.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I don't use their online service. You don't have to to upload/download. Unless you want to manage the files in the cloud.

I do everything with the desktop software. But I agree - not being able to change things on the fly is a detriment. As is the overall speed for "real" files.

Unless they've changed it you have no choice. Relayed Transfer turns on whenever you try to connect via FTP. So the already bog slow WiFi on the Eye-fi has to first upload to their servers which in turn will then upload to your FTP site. Stupid actually.

I could not get an AdHoc network working with my iPhone a year ago, so I gave up on the Eye-fi.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
My only interest in the Eye-fi is transfer from the camera to the iPhone in the field, so that my wife can edit and upload photos to Facebook or wherever else, while keeping a high quality original of the photos on the Eye-fi SD card. At home, I will just plug the camera or phone into my desktop and transfer the originals that way.

Given this, can I avoid the online service? Is the transfer speed reasonable, especially if we hand-pick which photos the Eye-fi transfers?

How is photo editing on the iPhone using iPhoto, Photogene2, etc. with the 20.5 MP image files from this camera? We don't necessarily need to maintain full rez for the purposes of editing on the phone but I just want to know that it works (even if it downscales when opening the image). If I want to do high-end editing, I'll load the photo from the camera into Photoshop on my PC and do it right.

thanks!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I use it in my 5D3 for storing small fine JPEG images (RAW's go to the CF card).

I turn on the Eye-Fi ad-hoc whenever I want to upload some images to my iPhone when I want to share a picture on Facebook while travelling.

I set it up so it only transfers protected images (those you mark as protected in the camera) so I can choose which images to transfer (rather than dump the entire card contents). It works anywhere because it sets up it's own ad-hoc wifi network that the phone connects to.

The whole thing works seamlessly and elegantly in my experience.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I was not happy with the EyeFi for use in a Nikon D70 (6MP). I found it slow, unreliable and short range. I have since switched to the CamRanger and am very happy. It doesn't support the full 36MP images of the D800 but I don't want those on my iPad anyway.

I'm shooting RAW + small JPG with it and it works very well.

Edit: Nevermind, I just reread your post and the CamRanger currently supports only Nikon and Canon. :(

cyder

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
I could not get an AdHoc network working with my iPhone a year ago, so I gave up on the Eye-fi.

try updating the firmware on your card, once I did that I followed the steps on their website and it was a breeze

As for the op, I used one for a friends wedding yesterday and it uploaded very quickly to my phone, I did have the jpgs going to the second card slot in low quality but it was still 24MP a pic. I want to borrow a friends tablet next time I go out to have a bigger screen to preview with (my eyes suck)

Golfer00ksu

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
My only interest in the Eye-fi is transfer from the camera to the iPhone in the field, so that my wife can edit and upload photos to Facebook or wherever else, while keeping a high quality original of the photos on the Eye-fi SD card. At home, I will just plug the camera or phone into my desktop and transfer the originals that way.

Given this, can I avoid the online service? Is the transfer speed reasonable, especially if we hand-pick which photos the Eye-fi transfers?

How is photo editing on the iPhone using iPhoto, Photogene2, etc. with the 20.5 MP image files from this camera? We don't necessarily need to maintain full rez for the purposes of editing on the phone but I just want to know that it works (even if it downscales when opening the image). If I want to do high-end editing, I'll load the photo from the camera into Photoshop on my PC and do it right.

thanks!

My wife and I have both the RX100 and the Eye-fi 4GB Connect X2 card. We are so pleased by both products. The Eye-Fi card is as advertised. The camera is so convenient and takes DSLR quality pics. I also have a nikon D40 and now looking to sell it as we have not used it once since purchasing the RX100 at Christmas.

We mainly take photos of our 1 yr. old son. The RX100 takes excellent pictures and they transfer to my iPhone 5 with Eye-Fi card like a breeze. The photos transfer using Eye-Fi's app and transfer very quickly.

The photos on the iPhone are beautiful and they display full screen perfectly. We receive compliments from friends and family every time we show off photos on our phone the RX 100 has taken.

Sorry, I do all main photo editing on Mac and can't comment on photo editing on iPhone.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I've long lost my EyeFi 8GB x2 card. I may get another if the AdHoc mode works with iOS & OSX.

I wonder if they've gotten rid of relayed FTP transfer (which is dumb and unnecessary IMO).

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
I have one from SanDisk. I love it. Whenever I'm shooting something big I set it up to transfer jpegs to my ipad. After the job is done I'll look at the photos on the bus back home and mentally sort through everything. Is it essential? Definitely not but it's fun to have and play around with. I don't think it's worth the money for what I do now so I'm going to end up selling mine. But for the time being I love it.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I bought two, one for my EOS M and one for my Wife's S90 and hated them because of the slow speed of the iOS EyeFi app. I ended up abandoning them and actually sold one. Then I bought an iOS app called shutter snitch that supports transfer from the EyeFi card as well as numerous other wireless photo transfer soloutions and I fell in love. The transfers are fast and you can perform actions on the photos as they arrive on the iPhone or iPad including geotagging.

I say give it a go but be sure to use shuttersnitch not the crappy EyeFi app.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Can it push originals straight into Lightroom or an open folder on an iMac? I've got no use transferring images to my iPad to be honest.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I'd like to use it, but supposedly it won't work with my CF adapter.

Many people have this issue. There are countless posts on the Eye-fi support forums but the manufacturers have rather arrogantly said the CF market is too small. It seems strange to me because CF cards are often used by those with the biggest budgets and who buy the most gear.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Can it push originals straight into Lightroom or an open folder on an iMac? I've got no use transferring images to my iPad to be honest.

Yes. When I was using my EyeFi card with my iMac and 5D Mark III on my home Wifi, I could take a photo, and it would transfer directly to a folder in my Photos folder). From there, I could import the transferred photos into Aperture.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Yes. When I was using my EyeFi card with my iMac and 5D Mark III on my home Wifi, I could take a photo, and it would transfer directly to a folder in my Photos folder). From there, I could import the transferred photos into Aperture.

That's great to hear, thanks! Can you set a specific folder or is it just by default?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.