Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I am having hardware issues with my iPhone 5 and want to save text messages and photos before doing a master reset.

Any suggestions/ideas on how I could go about doing this? Thanks!

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Not sure about the text messages, BMX above suggestion possibly for that. But your photos could be transferred to a computer.

poplay

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Hi,

I am having hardware issues with my iPhone 5 and want to save text messages and photos before doing a master reset.

Any suggestions/ideas on how I could go about doing this? Thanks!

The best thing you can do is make sure you have a good solid backup of your iPhone 5. Then you can try to restore your device to that backup after the reset and see if everything is working fine.

Sometimes, unfortunately, the glitch is in some files that are backed up... which would mean that the phone would run smooth after the reset, but then the issues return after the restore. In that case, you'd want to try to just start from scratch, and you can use various tools to extract the data you need from your backups (such as the texts).

Your photos should be saved by pulling the camera roll off of the phone like you would any other camera. Something like iPhoto on Mac or the camera dialog popup box on windows? They're also in the device backups, so they're safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.