Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Ok I am getting my Imac ready to sell, I have reloaded ML back on it, I had deauthorized this computer before I reloaded ML, is there anything else I must do? I trided to find the steps for selling a IMac but could not locate the posting, thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok I am getting my Imac ready to sell, I have reloaded ML back on it, I had deauthorized this computer before I reloaded ML, is there anything else I must do? I trided to find the steps for selling a IMac but could not locate the posting, thanks

Just command-r boot to recovery and use Disk Util to erase Macintosh HD. Then reinstall the OS.

If you are really worried about sensitive data being recovered, you can turn on Filevault2 encryption before you do this so that when you erase the disk you are erasing an encrypted core storage volume that cannot be recovered.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
Hope you don't mind me adding to the post, but I read how to clean the machine up, but how do you reinstall Mountain Lion? I downloaded ML from the app store at the time, but if I try to download it on the cleaned computer won't they ask for my apple ID and wouldn't it still be under my name etc? And could I really download it all over again without a hassle?
Thanks for a reply. 

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hope you don't mind me adding to the post, but I read how to clean the machine up, but how do you reinstall Mountain Lion? I downloaded ML from the app store at the time, but if I try to download it on the cleaned computer won't they ask for my apple ID and wouldn't it still be under my name etc? And could I really download it all over again without a hassle?
Thanks for a reply. 
Yes, if you bought ML you should be able to download and install it again without additional cost.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for a reply. 

I assume we are talking about for a machine you want to sell/give away?

ML is licensed to you, so you can't give it away on the machine, and as you alluded to, if the new user wants to reinstall ML they will be asked for YOUR AppleID to do this. Which of course they won't have.

What you want to do is get back to the OS the machine came with. If that is Snow Leopard or earlier you will want to boot from the original grey DVD installer and erase/install from there. If your machine came with Lion, you can by the ML recovery and go to Lion Internet Recovery by doing a command-option-r boot. That will DL the Lion recovery and allow you to erase and reinstall Lion. This Lion install will not ask for your AppleID since it is tied to your machine's serial number.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Yes, if you bought ML you should be able to download and install it again without additional cost.

ok I deauthorized the iMac, erased HD, I had to login to my account to download ML, (I did not set it up), then I went to my other mac and changed my Apple password. So when he logs in he will have to use his account ID correct, and I will be safe???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.