Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chele519

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
I only have 1 receiver so no way to try another but I'm still unclear as to why it would be the hdmi. The only problem is with mirroring from the phone, it just froze up again when watching video but I had music playing earlier and it locked up then too. Definitely leaning towards returning it at this point and going back to the laptop. It's too bad too because I was going to pick up an iPad to stream to it but not if it works like this

I called the local store and explained the issue, he said he has it connected to a receiver with no issue, suggested I exchange at Best Buy so I'll try another one first

Last edited:

chele519

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
I did find this, but it looks awful:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52410411/Onkyo-FW-Update

I guess that model was in the last product range before all Onkyo receivers got Ethernet. With Ethernet, updating the firmware is trivial :)

Wow, talk about confusing. There's no way I'd even attempt that. Plus I don't have a CD player with a digital out. Only the blu ray player has a PCM option. Thanks for finding that though.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Many Onkyos have an HDMI problem. Mine did. It has to do with the HDMI board and is not cheap to fix. Check the warranty. Hopefully things have changed, but in the past Onkyo did the corporate shuffle on what should have been either a recall or an extended warranty because it was a widespread problem that they obviously knew about.

I once thought Onkyo was a good brand, and I did love my receiver, but now I have no respect for them at all.

The new Denon works perfectly with the ATV through HDMI, as does the TV, BR player and DirecTv receiver. Only way to go.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Many Onkyos have an HDMI problem. Mine did. It has to do with the HDMI board and is not cheap to fix. Check the warranty. Hopefully things have changed, but in the past Onkyo did the corporate shuffle on what should have been either a recall or an extended warranty because it was a widespread problem that they obviously knew about.

I once thought Onkyo was a good brand, and I did love my receiver, but now I have no respect for them at all.

The new Denon works perfectly with the ATV through HDMI, as does the TV, BR player and DirecTv receiver. Only way to go.

Unfortunately this is true - even for recent models. For example, the 616 is plagued with issues. Onkyo used to make some of the best equipment in the business - now they seem to make some of the most unreliable.

I moved over to Pioneer - fantastic gear and it hasn't missed a beat. The Pioneer feels more refined than my Onkyo ever did.

chele519

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012

I got the extended warranty through BB and that still has more than a year left if it does die. But if there were an HDMI problem, I would think it would also affect my xbox, laptop or bluray player. These all work fine with it. Just came back from a trip to BB to exchange the atv and spoke to both a BB person and the apple rep in the store. Both think it is a router issue. The one I have is a free one from Comcast and is 1x1, so they suggested at least getting a 2x2. Looks like my laptop is on the way out anyway so I'll probably grab the router at the same time and at least try it out.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I only have 1 receiver so no way to try another but I'm still unclear as to why it would be the hdmi. The only problem is with mirroring from the phone, it just froze up again when watching video but I had music playing earlier and it locked up then too. Definitely leaning towards returning it at this point and going back to the laptop. It's too bad too because I was going to pick up an iPad to stream to it but not if it works like this

I called the local store and explained the issue, he said he has it connected to a receiver with no issue, suggested I exchange at Best Buy so I'll try another one first

The main reason HDMI is a problem has to do with the entertainment industry and their obsession with the pirating of their products--so whenever any kind of handshake problem is detected with HDMI connected components, the connection fails.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
HDMI is a big bucket of hurt. I have a Sony DVD/receiver and a Panasonic plasma TV. My Apple TV works great with the Panasonic but not with the Sony. The Panasonic's audio won't play through the Sony either. It's a real pity, as the Sony has some really good speakers.

The frustrating thing is, it used to work. Then it stopped. My son got it working again, but then a few weeks later it stopped again and neither of us has succeeded in getting it to work again.

Reviewing various internet forums, it seems the problem as I've described is widely experienced among this particular Sony model's unfortunate owners. So okay, that's it for Sony for me. Used to be a big fan, but they jumped the shark years ago and now they've wasted a big chunk of my change. Onkyo isn't what it used to be other, as several posts on this thread attest.

At some point when I have spare funds, I'll replace the damned thing with one by Panasonic or Pioneer.

x95iik

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
Apple TV now works through my receiver

I had the same problem - my HDMI cable going from my receiver to the TV was too long. bought a shorter one, now my Apple TV and everything else works fine

bwhinnen

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
McKinney
I run my ATV3 (and previously an ATV2) with an Onkyo 706 with no troubles. The only time Airplay has only ever caused a problem when I leave the MBA paused and the ATV screen saver kicks in.

But reconnecting works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.