Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Hi

I being offered an upgrade from my ipad data provider.

My ipad has taken over from my laptop as my main computing device and I wondered what thoughts were of the ipad mini?

My main problem with the ipad 3 is the weight and size. I find it far to uncomfortable to read books etc whilst holding it I my hand, it has to be used on a table on its stand. It's also not as portable as I'd like, if I go out and need to take it with I need to take a bag for it as its not really pocket sized (obviously though still far more portable and convenient than a laptop).

A mini may solve that as they Certainly look much lighter and more portable, but do people think its worth upgrading to? As far as I can see the only downside is the lack of retina display. I do like the ipad3 screen but don't see that much difference to the original ipad screen and wouldn't say I have the best eyesight in the world anyway.

Do people have a problem with the screen? And also is the oval screen size noticeably smaller when it comes to websites etc? As I say, I do most of my computing on the ipad now, I hardly ever open safari on my mac any more but think this is only possible because of the large ipad screen. I find websites by hard to use on my iphone5 as the screen is too small for may sites. Do ipad mini users find websites any different/harder to view than they did with the full size ipad?

Thanks for your help.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Wait for the ipad 5 is my recommendation. Get an e-reader to hold you over if the ipad is too cumbersome. Or even a cheap 7" tablet.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Wait for the ipad 5 is my recommendation. Get an e-reader to hold you over if the ipad is too cumbersome. Or even a cheap 7" tablet.

Out of interest why do you say that? Is the 5 likely to be lighter? Also, are there any rumblings as to when it will be launched?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Out of interest why do you say that? Is the 5 likely to be lighter? Also, are there any rumblings as to when it will be launched?

All rumors, the last I linked was 20% thinner and 50% lighter than larger ipads. Most do not believe that can be achieved but whatever the mind conceives, ...

The latest rumor I have seen is 3rd quarter for ipad 5.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
The 5 is likely to be smaller, but not necessarily lighter. Easier to handle, though. Display-wise, the change from iPad 3 to iPad mini is a downgrade, even though the display of the mini is still ok.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
The 5 is likely to be smaller, but not necessarily lighter. Easier to handle, though. Display-wise, the change from iPad 3 to iPad mini is a downgrade, even though the display of the mini is still ok.

Why do you say it's a downgrade out of interest? Purely because it hasn't got a retina screen? Is it not more user friendly and more portable/comfortable to use?

Would you not recommend it then?

warriorz

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
The Mini is MUCH more portable. It's a huge difference.

Yes, you will notice the downgrade in screen resolution as you're coming from a retina display. As to your eyesight not being so good this will only add to the distinction in screen resolution and screen quality, that is, poor eyesight will probably highlight the fact that text is more pixelated on the mini than on the retina. The retina screen is surely making it easier for you read on the iPad 3. For me I found the larger iPad 3 too cumbersome, I swapped it for a mini, I do miss the retina, and will upgrade for sure when the retina mini is released, but for now I'm using it as a stop gap. The smaller screen size for websites shouldn't make that much difference to you as everything will be scaled down in size so you'll see full websites but off course everything will be smaller, I guess you could zoom in which is what you're probably doing on the IPad 3. It all depends on your needs and priorities, size and weight, versus retina and somewhat better screen real estate. Depends what is more important for you considering how you use your iPad

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Why do you say it's a downgrade out of interest? Purely because it hasn't got a retina screen? Is it not more user friendly and more portable/comfortable to use?

Would you not recommend it then?

Display-wise it's a downgrade because of non-retina. That's an undeniable fact, and its significance for your decision depends on your preferences. The iPad mini has many other qualities though, such as the ones you mentioned, which is why I got one for my wife a couple of months ago (she prefers lightness over retina).

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks for the replies-kind of proved what I thought.

I think I may go for it as portability and comfort when using is more important than the display and my major problem with using the ipad is its weight.

Cheers again.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
It doesn't matter if we think its a good upgrade, do you?

It sounds like the Mini will solve the issues you have with your ipad 3.

Having not used a mini I don't know which is why I ask!

It does sound like the mini is of more use to me though.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Having not used a mini I don't know which is why I ask!

It does sound like the mini is of more use to me though.

Its a small iPad, and it sounds like your main issues would be solved by a small iPad. If you can wait, do so for the Retina Mini.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have both the Mini and a 3, and while the Mini is definitely more portable, I find myself using the 3 more. I find that browsing websites is especially better on a 3, on the mini, most websites get too small, requiring more zooming than on the 3. The mini is a better ebook reader than the 3 because of its lighter weight, but for most other tasks I do on the iPad, I prefer the 3. It's not even the retina vs non-retina, although that does make a slight difference -- it's the screen size, period. Like when you compare a 15 inch MacBook to a 13 inch MacBook, the 15 inch screen can show more things. Same with the mini vs 3. You can see more stuff on the 3.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Both my kids have iPad mini's. I played with it for about a month after I bought it for them and while it was pretty exciting then, I completely lost interest in them after. From my perspective, the iPad 3 is a better machine and it's what I use today.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Both my kids have iPad mini's. I played with it for about a month after I bought it for them and while it was pretty exciting then, I completely lost interest in them after. From my perspective, the iPad 3 is a better machine and it's what I use today.

Is that because of screen quality or because the iPad 3 has the better processor?

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Don't. I went from iPad 2 to Mini and regret it an immense amount. Though my 2 didn't have a retina display, the actual screen size of the Mini just was not useful at all (to me at least, I'm sure there are plenty of happy Mini users out there).

I ended up selling the Mini a few weeks ago. Saying I hated it would be a bit dramatic, but I really did not like the iPad Mini at all, for the reason stated.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks for all the replies.

I had a go on a mates iPad mini this weekend and have to say it does seem far more lightweight and practicle and even fits in my coat pocket! And the screen dosnt seem too bad at all for what I use it for.

One more question if I may...if the iPad mini has a lower spec than the ipad3 in tearms of the chip inside etc then how future proof is the current model in people's opinion? I mean is it likely to support new iOS releases and new apps/updates for much longer or is it likely to be phased out along with the ipad2 like earlier iPad and iPhone models have been?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Thanks for all the replies.

I had a go on a mates iPad mini this weekend and have to say it does seem far more lightweight and practicle and even fits in my coat pocket! And the screen dosnt seem too bad at all for what I use it for.

One more question if I may...if the iPad mini has a lower spec than the ipad3 in tearms of the chip inside etc then how future proof is the current model in people's opinion? I mean is it likely to support new iOS releases and new apps/updates for much longer or is it likely to be phased out along with the ipad2 like earlier iPad and iPhone models have been?

The iPad mini, CPU wise, is identical to the iPad 3. GPU wise, first take into account that the iPad 3 has 4x more pixels to render over the iPad mini. The iPad mini had a dual core GPU, and the iPad 3 has a quad core. So theoretically they should be pretty similar in graphics performance, though the 3 may do better at times, albeit not noticeably.

In short, they will both probably be cut off around similar times.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks again for all the replies. I decided after reading mixed reviews that as its being offered as an upgrade for next to nothing I'd go for the mini to try it out for myself.

So far I am glad that I did. Certainly for the reasons I thought it would be I find it more practice for what I use it for. My rucksack is far lighter now and I've been out a few times with it in my pocket where as I would have had to take a bag for the ipad3.

It's also far more comfortable to use - much lighter and easier to type on whilst holding it.

I have to admit that I'm still noticing the screen more than I thought I would, although I wouldn't say it's a massive issue. It just seems darker even at full brightness compared to the iPhone or ipad3. But as I say, I don't find it too much of an issue. It seems to perform pretty much like the ipad3 to-I don't use many reasource hungry apps, just a few games but they seem to perform without any noticeable difference.

I still have the ipad3 obviously and have bought a pay as you go sim for it in case I decide to go back to it but am very pleased with the mini-certai ly more practical. A retina display would be nice but given the choice between a heavier iPad with retina or lighter without I'd go for the lighter option personally.

Cheers again for the advice.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I have to admit that I'm still noticing the screen more than I thought I would, although I wouldn't say it's a massive issue. It just seems darker even at full brightness compared to the iPhone or ipad3.

I went and did the same thing, went from an iPad 3 to the mini. At first, the darkish and washed-out colors (compared to retina iPad), and the fuzzy text on websites and PDFs bothered me, but not too much (iBooks and movies look fine).

But after about 10 days I couldn't get over it. It was a huge distraction every time I used it. Finally went and returned it, got an iPad 4. I'm so happy I did. Now I can just focus on the content instead of the screen quality.

I'm not saying that this will be your experience, and I hope you are content with it. Just keep an eye on your return period, that's all.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I went and did the same thing, went from an iPad 3 to the mini. At first, the darkish and washed-out colors (compared to retina iPad), and the fuzzy text on websites and PDFs bothered me, but not too much (iBooks and movies look fine).

But after about 10 days I couldn't get over it. It was a huge distraction every time I used it. Finally went and returned it, got an iPad 4. I'm so happy I did. Now I can just focus on the content instead of the screen quality.

I'm not saying that this will be your experience, and I hope you are content with it. Just keep an eye on your return period, that's all.

Cheers for that-as I say, it's not a huge problem and although I notice it its not particularly offensive or distracting.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
I am trying a mini out as well. I too have an iPad 3 but i rarely use it for anything. Too heavy, not a good reader, and I'm not even sure I enjoy surfing on iOS. I am seduced by the mini's form and weight so I decided to give it a go. I was poopooing its non-retina screen but surprisingly I haven't even thought about it these past 2 days. I also have a 15" rMBP and iP5 so I am well aware of the awesomeness of the retina display.

Surfing the net is the biggest use for me but iOS surfing is too slow. I'm not a frequent flyer nor do i use my iPads outside. Sitting on the couch, at the dinner table, at the kitchen island, laying in bed, I find surfing on my rMBP much faster, more ergonomic, and more productive.

The mini is a wonderful product as it is and Apple deserves to sell a ton of them. When it gets a RD and faster internals, it will be the perfect tablet. For now though, I think I'm gonna return mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.