Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brbrcoil

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
iMac Hard Drive Recall - SeaGate 1T Model ST31000528AS

The external 1TB branded Iomega with a seagate ST31000528AS, was sold on the Apple web site. This thing had less then 50 hours and went belly up, click, click. Wonder if they will be taking these back as well.

I too was told by Apple.com my 21.5" IMac did not qualify for HD replacement. But I checked online and the HD (ST31000528AS) was in fact a SeaGate. Called Advisor and he looked it up and said my computer didn't qualify as it didn't have a seagate HD. I told him I thought his records were wrong and after he googled the same model # (the IMAC info screen didn't have the make - only model # which I believe is what has Apple screwed up) he forwarded me to his Sr. Advisor. Sr. Advisor said I was not eligible and I said all my research said this was the same hard drive being recalled and I gave him not only my info and findings, but also another case # (361827989) whom indicated the exact same issue and they then replaced his HD...

Needless to say, Sr. advisor called me back a few minutes later and said if my HD had a Revision # (Rev#) of "AP25" then it was the recalled hard drive and BINGO - it was. They are replacing my HD with a new one and my case # is 413087829 and I would guess thousands and thousands (if not millions) have been told by Apple (either when doing the online check or calling in) their iMac didn't qualify for the SeaGate 1T HD replacement - due solely to Apple not having correct info in their databases - when in fact they do.

So if you have this issue, call them and give them the two above case #'s and get your new HD!!!! Have to be turned in by April if my info is correct.

Good Luck!!

Be Persistent!!!

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
I too was told by Apple.com my 21.5" IMac did not qualify for HD replacement. But I checked online and the HD (ST31000528AS) was in fact a SeaGate. Called Advisor and he looked it up and said my computer didn't qualify as it didn't have a seagate HD. I told him I thought his records were wrong and after he googled the same model # (the IMAC info screen didn't have the make - only model # which I believe is what has Apple screwed up) he forwarded me to his Sr. Advisor. Sr. Advisor said I was not eligible and I said all my research said this was the same hard drive being recalled and I gave him not only my info and findings, but also another case # (361827989) whom indicated the exact same issue and they then replaced his HD...

Needless to say, Sr. advisor called me back a few minutes later and said if my HD had a Revision # (Rev#) of "AP25" then it was the recalled hard drive and BINGO - it was. They are replacing my HD with a new one and my case # is 413087829 and I would guess thousands and thousands (if not millions) have been told by Apple (either when doing the online check or calling in) their iMac didn't qualify for the SeaGate 1T HD replacement - due solely to Apple not having correct info in their databases - when in fact they do.

So if you have this issue, call them and give them the two above case #'s and get your new HD!!!! Have to be turned in by April if my info is correct.

Good Luck!!

Be Persistent!!!

That's good you got them to honor their own recall. The problem for me is that this drive in an external stand alone, that BTW was sold in their web store. I bought it there so as be sure if I had a problem, they being the seller would be responsible for the warranty.

Well, wrong and lesson learned never buy anything from the Apple store unless it is in an Apple box with Apple label. That is not a very good business practice but is a money maker, customer comes first WAFJ. But that's ok I am smarter for it and it only cost me a couple of bucks.

Greg

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Apology for not replying to early posts back in October, I've been away.

Reading a few extra posts where people have affected drives but the checker says it is not covered, simply call AppleCare or go to your local store if nearby. They should provide coverage. NOTE: the program expires April 12 2013, or until your AppleCare expires, whichever provides more coverage.

mund

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Great Lake State
Mine Is Going In... This Week! But Need Immediate Advice!

I took my iMac 27 Late 2009 1tb to the Apple store on Friday April 12, 2013 for the HDD replacement. I explained my fear not getting all my stuff back like it was. I had an earlier situation that forced me to format this drive and in using Time Machine was unsuccessful at restoring my information. The Apple store rep said.. hey, I got you signed in, there are 10 iMac's ahead of you for HDD replacements. Take your iMac home, get it figured out, I suggest looking into cloning your drive then. Just get the iMac back to us within 7 days and I will keep your new drive on the shelf waiting. I got a receipt stating customer to return, part on order, fee of $265.14 - Customer charge is $ 0.

This is cool of them to do, allowing me to get this figured out... last time I had an issue with this drive, it forced me to reformat, fresh install, Time Machine didn't do the job restoring my stuff. Maybe I didn't do it right, don't know.

I need to make this as simple as possible, I have a free'd up G drive mini firewire 800 external HDD waiting to make this happen. From what I hear the thing to do is to Clone my existing HDD that is to be replaced, making the Clone a Bootable drive. The How, Why, What to use, Then What to do with it to successfully use it and when is the part I have not had experience with... apologize for my ignorance here, never had this issue prior. But I do know that I do not want to install all the stuff and applications that I had to (again) after that fresh install last year. I want it simple... can someone offer assistance?

Point me in a step by step for place for directions.... I don't even know at what point or level to expect my iMac back from Apple in, what I mean is, how do I then use the Clone info.

rich1965boxer

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2013
Have been told that due to Apple not contacting me before 12th April, the repair that Apple determined was needed on my I Mac will not be done.They must have my e mail address, so why not contact me before repair expiry date. Is this so they hope you don't find out about it on an Apple support page http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/
My serial number matches the eligibility for the programme.My hard drives failed over a month ago, but only through searching using another computer did I know that it could have been repaired before it failed.WHY WAS I NOT CONTACTED !!!

27imac

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
Beaumont texas
Yes how long does it take apple to switch out the harddrive I got tht email too and wonder how long it take them the close apple retail is hour in a half away

mund

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Great Lake State
Yes how long does it take apple to switch out the harddrive I got tht email too and wonder how long it take them the close apple retail is hour in a half away

The stated time was 3-5 days. The Apple Store near me (Partridge Creek) ended up being HACKS . They roughly handled and carved up the aluminum case on my mint iMac 27

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Have been told that due to Apple not contacting me before 12th April, the repair that Apple determined was needed on my I Mac will not be done.They must have my e mail address, so why not contact me before repair expiry date. Is this so they hope you don't find out about it on an Apple support page http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/
My serial number matches the eligibility for the programme.My hard drives failed over a month ago, but only through searching using another computer did I know that it could have been repaired before it failed.WHY WAS I NOT CONTACTED !!!

How is it Apple's fault that you were negligent in checking whether your computer qualified for it? once again we have people not taking personal responsibility.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

If they didn't want you to find it - it wouldn't be there in the first place! The fact that they have your email address on file doesn't matter - the email will only go to the email address to which the product is registered - is that correct?

The info has been out there for long enough.

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Does anyone know what happens to your old drives? I'm concerned about giving them a drive with all my private data.

Turn on FileVault. Once the drive is encrypted they have no way to get to your data.

This is a good idea in general for all iMac and Macbook users; if the machine fails in a way that you can't boot it, you can still take it in for service without risk that your data ends up in the wrong hands.

maggiebakke

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
Apple never notified me —

My hard drive failed two years ago. I paid $322 to have it replaced. I called them about my Macbook pro which is having issues with the microphone and the subject came up about the terrible service I received when the hard drive was replaced on my late 2009 Imac. We are very limited in our area on who does work on Macs. After much discussion and being told I was too late for the replacement costs, they transferred me to a Customer service person who was very nice. When they replaced my hard drive at an Apple Authorized site in 2011, first they put in a 500 gb replacement drive. He told me that was all I needed. I told him I had a 1tb drive in the computer when I came in the store and I was going to have one when I left the store. My dvd/cd drive never worked after the drive replacement and I told them at apple. She made an appt for me at another Apple authorized site and my computer is there now getting fixed at their expense. We live in a very rural area, 250 miles from any Apple Store. This morning I received an email stating that I will be receiving an check for $337.31 refund of the cost of the replacement disk done two years ago. Be persistent, be direct, but most of all be courteous as it will get you a lot farther. Let them feel your frustration. They tried to tell me they emailed me, I told them they did not email me. I have been buying Apple computers for over 20 years and they have had my email address on file for that long also. They told me the program is still open until later in 2013.

I have received my MacBook Pro back and it was the logic board. It appears there has been a problem for awhile with the logic boards in MacBook Pro computers. I had applecare and it was under a year old, so it was completely covered. My check from Apple came on Saturday also.

Last edited:

levistran

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
Apple Notifies iMac Owners of Expanded Seagate Hard Drive Recall

But the issue isn't about you having a Seagate, it's about a certain batch. Yours could be fine. They are just replacing it to shut you up because you were a nag, not because they screwed up and didn't put in your serial number when it should have been. They won't tell you that that is the reason because they don't want you emailing Tim Cook etc and saying they insulted you or some other mess. But that is the more likely reason for the 'exception'

avonord

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
I put the serial number for my iMac purchased June 2011 in on the webpage for the replacement program, and it came back saying that I didn't have a Seagate HD (as previously noted by the8thark). I went into the System Information (Click the Apple at top left > About This Mac > More Information > System Report > Hardware > Serial-ATA) and found that I have a model number ST31000528AS in my iMac, which is in fact a Seagate 1TB HD (again, noted by the8thark, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433). Given the discrepancy, I call Apple to discuss the matter.

I talk to an Advisor and Sr. Advisor that both said the records show I have a Western Digital drive in my iMac. I insisted that it was a Seagate, and sent them a screenshot of my System Information window. Long story short, they are replacing my HD.

If you are in the same situation, call Apple and reference case number 361827989 as to why they should replace yours too!

Thanks. My hard drive just failed this week. I hope the program is still on and it's not too late for me. Fingers crossed.

Blaine72

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
Hard Drive replacement

Thanks. My hard drive just failed this week. I hope the program is still on and it's not too late for me. Fingers crossed.

I just chatted with a support member who told me that my computer was eligible for the hard drive replacement at no charge to me... so it could depend on the terms of your purchase. They are going to replace my hard drive tomorrow.

I'm just curious, because I don't know... what exactly happens when a hard drive fails? Is this a result of bad installation? I really am a pretty clueless to the what and the why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.