Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob7up

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Canada
I am currently thinking about selling my 2012 MBA 13" and buying a rMBP 13", although I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy now or wait for Haswell and hopefully a rMBP 13" refresh.

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec
You already have a 2012 MBA, you might Haswell wait:p

Joking aside, you probably are in no rush so I would wait. When the new ones comes out, if you still want the actual model, go to futureshop or bestbuy at that time and they will be on sale or buy it refurb at Apple at that time and they might even be cheaper.

In 2008 I bought the early 2008 15 inches MBP the week when the fall 15 inches came out, I saved something like 250$. at futureshop

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I'd wait.

I'd wait for Wishingwell. Specs are suppose to be killer.

You say the same thing on every "should I wait" thread. While I agree that one should not wait forever, there is nothing wrong with waiting for a few months, if you don't need a computer now, for a computer with better specs and a few more features. Not all people will wait for infinity; some just do not feel comfortable buying a new computer when a brand new one is just 4-5 months away. I am waiting for Haswell; that doesn't mean I'll be waiting for Broadwell, Skylake or Skymont.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You say the same thing on every "should I wait" thread. While I agree that one should not wait forever, there is nothing wrong with waiting for a few months, if you don't need a computer now, for a computer with better specs and a few more features. Not all people will wait for infinity; some just do not feel comfortable buying a new computer when a brand new one is just 4-5 months away. I am waiting for Haswell; that doesn't mean I'll be waiting for Broadwell, Skylake or Skymont.

Then why ask the question?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Then why ask the question?

What? The question about should I buy a computer now? People ask that because everyone has a different situation. In some situations people have a computer which died, and they need it to get work done. In that case, buying a new one is a must. Or in other cases, when the new generation is a year away, people should not wait in most situations. But around now, when you have a perfectly good 2012 MBA and Haswell is 5 months away, waiting is a good choice.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
What? The question about should I buy a computer now? People ask that because everyone has a different situation. In some situations people have a computer which died, and they need it to get work done. In that case, buying a new one is a must. Or in other cases, when the new generation is a year away, people should not wait in most situations. But around now, when you have a perfectly good 2012 MBA and Haswell is 5 months away, waiting is a good choice.

Again, why ask the question then? Each of the cases you pointed out are clear cut, based on your own diagnosis.

1. Computer dead? Buy a new one.
2. Computer outdated, but close to refresh and can wait? Wait.
3. Computer outdated, but refresh is far out and can't wait? Buy a new one.

At the end of the day, the question can be reduced to: "Am I in a position to wait or do I need to buy one right now?"

I will be jumped on shortly with comments like: "This is a forum! People can ask questions!" and "Everyone's situation is different!"

The answer to both is, of course. But a few moments of thought would lead a person to their answer.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
The question is idiotic.

You're asking someone to make the decision for you. Or you're asking for people to manipulate your thought process. Or you're asking for someone to give you information to justify the decision one way or the other.

It's pathetic.

If you want now, then buy now. If you don't care and can wait, then wait.

If you want now and want the newer one too, buy now and resell when the new one arrives and pay the difference.

It's not rocket science. It's simple.

But really, wait forever. It's more cost effective.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Again, why ask the question then? Each of the cases you pointed out are clear cut, based on your own diagnosis.

1. Computer dead? Buy a new one.
2. Computer outdated, but close to refresh and can wait? Wait.
3. Computer outdated, but refresh is far out and can't wait? Buy a new one.

At the end of the day, the question can be reduced to: "Am I in a position to wait or do I need to buy one right now?"

I will be jumped on shortly with comments like: "This is a forum! People can ask questions!" and "Everyone's situation is different!"

The answer to both is, of course. But a few moments of thought would lead a person to their answer.

Exactly, and I agree 100%. However, I don't think the answer is to give the OP a hyperbole saying "Wait forever while you're at it!" The answer above would have been good. That was my point.

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
There are two schools of thought...

1) Just buy it now
You're never going to win the waiting game: the next greatest thing is around the corner. And that "corner" is constantly moving since Apple isn't THAT consistent with their release schedule (recent iMacs as an example).

Meanwhile for all we know, the next release might just be a minor speed bump and not a Haswell. Rumors are just speculation, Apple isn't exactly known to be open with their release schedule or specs.

2) Haswell might actually be a decent bump for the 13"
Haswell's biggest "bump" is the Integrated Graphics Card. So, while the 15" MacBook Pro won't see a major bump due to having a Discreet GPU, the 13" will supposedly see a nice improvement.

Considering it sounds like you already have a decent machine I'd personally wait. But if you had an older machine I'd say get one now.

nando4

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
Wait for Haswell. The iGPU will be faster and the CPU + chipset heavily optimized to improve battery life.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Wait for Haswell. No sense jumping in now, especially since you have a nice machine anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.