Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JessyWolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
I only wanted to delete 1 single album because there was this photo library and another album under it saying pictures and all the pictures I had in that pictures album are just repeated in the photo library. I wanted to delete this additional album because is takes away memory. Or does it have to be like that ?? Please someone reply I need help :\ Someone tell me how I can delete that album because the pictures are just repeated on the Photo Library folder on my iPhone. All this takes away memory. Any help greatly appreciated :/

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
If you're running iOS6, you can open Photos > Albums (only albums are showing) > Edit and then use the minus symbol to delete the album that you don't want anymore. If it was created using photos that are also in your Camera Roll, they will remain in Camera Roll and only the album itself will disappear. Those albums are just shortcuts to the original photo in Camera Roll. However, if the album was added via iTunes from your computer, I believe that it must be removed via computer.

IIRC, iOS5 behaved similarly.

JessyWolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
If you're running iOS6, you can open Photos > Albums (only albums are showing) > Edit and then use the minus symbol to delete the album that you don't want anymore. If it was created using photos that are also in your Camera Roll, they will remain in Camera Roll and only the album itself will disappear. Those albums are just shortcuts to the original photo in Camera Roll. However, if the album was added via iTunes from your computer, I believe that it must be removed via computer.

IIRC, iOS5 behaved similarly.
I tried this, there is no minus icon that appears at all. I tapped edit and then it just let me move the albums in a different order thats all. And yes the photos in that album were added via computer. But since I have a folder that is called Photo Library, which i believe is the main folder, and the pictures in it are just repeated and exactly the same ones in that Random Pictures album that suddenly pooped up when I put the pictures from the computer on my phone. It takes away memory and i don't know how to delete it because the same photos are in photo library, i don't even know how to do this via iTunes.
PS: I an not mac I am using a Windows 7 computer.
Any other suggestions ? :/

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
What iOS are you using on your iPhone?

Try this and report your results. If you open the extra album (not the one called Photo Library) and select a photo to delete, do you get the equivalent message "Removing this photo will also remove it from your Camera Roll"?

JessyWolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
What iOS are you using on your iPhone?

Try this and report your results. If you open the extra album (not the one called Photo Library) and select a photo to delete, do you get the equivalent message "Removing this photo will also remove it from your Camera Roll"?
I am using IOS 6.1.3, and I cant delete any of the photos on my iPhone that are in the album,i can only delete pictures from the camera roll folder, there is no delete icon I have to do this via iTunes and I don't even know how to delete 1 single photo and not the whole album when I try it on iTunes. I cant select one specific photo that i want to delete on iTunes without it deleting the whole album and when the album is put then there are 2 folders one says Photo Library and the other Pictures, and its just repeated,i don't need this extra album, and then i have to put everything on the phone again and do this process over. I don't know how this works.
PS: I am still new to iphones and iTunes and so on, so yeah. :3 oh and im using Windows 7 so please don't tell me about mac.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
So to be sure that I understand what you're saying, when you open one of the pictures in the rogue Album on your iPhone, you do not see the trash can icon in the bottom right corner of the task bar that shows when the picture is not full screen?

JessyWolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
So to be sure that I understand what you're saying, when you open one of the pictures in the rogue Album on your iPhone, you do not see the trash can icon in the bottom right corner of the task bar that shows when the picture is not full screen?
Yeah no trash can in the Album that contains the pictures I put from the lap top onto my phone. The trash can is in the Camera Roll folder. Any pictures that I have taken with my phone camera have the trash can anything else that was put from the lap top onto my phone does not have a trash can. So yes you got me right.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Yeah no trash can in the Album that contains the pictures I put from the lap top onto my phone. The trash can is in the Camera Roll folder. Any pictures that I have taken with my phone camera have the trash can anything else that was put from the lap top onto my phone does not have a trash can. So yes you got me right.

I forgot to ask, have you reset your iPhone yet (hold down Power & Home buttons simultaneously, releasing them both after you see the apple on a black screen) to see if the rogue album is just an anomaly that might disappear as oddly as it first appeared?

Last edited:

JessyWolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
I forgot to ask, have you reset your iPhone yet (hold down Power & Home buttons simultaneously, releasing them both after you see the apple on a black screen) to see if the rogue album is just an anomaly that might disappear as oddly as it first appeared?
No i never resetted it because I have a lot of apps on it now and I really don't want to lose all of that nether my songs or pictures i made with my camera. I don't want to reset it. Why ? Do i have to do this ?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
A reset is the equivalent of restarting your computer. You won't lose anything except maybe that wacky album. All of your legitimate info will remain & be just fine. I promise. :)

Just do exactly as I described and post your results.

JessyWolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
A reset is the equivalent of restarting your computer. You won't lose anything except maybe that wacky album. All of your legitimate info will remain & be just fine. I promise. :)

Just do exactly as I described and post your results.
Ok I did exactly what you said :) your right it does not remove anything its just like a restart. But unfortunately that additional Album is still there >,< What do I do now? That album is really annoying ! Its just all repeated in the Photo Library why make a new folder if it is already there ! Can you please help me out again ? =3 =/

JessyWolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Any other suggestions ? I still need help......

johns158652

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2013
Problem Solved

My iphone 4s was doing the exact same thing and after tons of research i got no where. However i was able to find a solution myslelf. Plug it into you computer and go into your itunes. Underneath your itunes click on the photos tab. Then click on the Sync photos from my pictures box, once that box is unchecked click the sync button and this should fix your problem.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
My iphone 4s was doing the exact same thing and after tons of research i got no where. However i was able to find a solution myslelf. Plug it into you computer and go into your itunes. Underneath your itunes click on the photos tab. Then click on the Sync photos from my pictures box, once that box is unchecked click the sync button and this should fix your problem.

There is also a good chance that both Albums (the legitimate one and the cloned rogue) will both be removed. Before unchecking the box under the Photos tab in iTunes, note the path/location that the photos are being synced from. Then make a copy of that folder on your PC desktop (name it something that you'll recognize) so that your photos are preserved in case you don't like the results of the action that you're attempting.

Apologies for somehow not getting back to this issue. :eek:

sababa1022

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2013
So what's the status on the Jessy? ;)

I had the same problem. If you connect your phone to your computer and tell it to sync photos from a source with no photos (I told it to sync with iPhoto which I do not use) it will erase the old albums.

rainieer

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
If it were the regular Photo stream, the album would be called "My Photo Stream", so it is not rhe Photo Stream you are looking at, but a regular album or an album syned from your mac.

Have you ever synced the iPhone and iPad wit your computer using iTunes? This really looks like the album "Photo Stream" is an album that has been synced to your iDevices using iTunes. Then they can only be removed by syncing again with iTunes, selecting to sync photos, but deselecting all photo albums in iTunes.

If it is a regular album, however, try to find the photos in your camera roll and delete photos from iPhone permanently. Then they will also vanish from the album. And photos, that have been edited, cannot be deleted at all, unless you revert them to original.

pitevd

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
I have many pics. do photos in that album take up space on my phone? if i delete them from that album, are they removed from my iCloud storage permanently?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.