Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antkn33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Is it possible to share on the network an external drive that is formatted with exfat on OS X 10.8 and be able to connect to it?
When I connect to my iMac over the network, I can see the drive, but when I open it nothing is there. The drive on my iMac shows up fine though so I am thinking it is an exfat issue.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
What are you trying to connect to the iMac with? Not sure if this applies to exfat, but are you sure you've connected with the rights to see the data that is on the disk?

And is there any reason you need to use exfat?

Antkn33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
What are you trying to connect to the iMac with? Not sure if this applies to exfat, but are you sure you've connected with the rights to see the data that is on the disk?

And is there any reason you need to use exfat?

Yes I connected with my username & password on the Mac which is an admin. I also enabled smb and tried to connect that way. Still doesn't work for the exfat drive.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
exFAT doesn't support much in terms of access rights so that shouldn't be the problem.
Otherwise I cannot help. Never tried it that way around myself and it sounds like it should work.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You will probably know already, but you are going to be wasting a lot of space using ex-fat on any drive / SSD / USB stick. Even if you can get the share to work, your drive space will vanish quickly. It's all about the cluster sizes in an ex-fat partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.