Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Hey guys,

Since the Mini was released I wanted one badly, but our Finance Minister (my wife ;-) ) said no.

I have a MBA 13" since Nov'13, an iPhone 4S (will replace it with the 5 in 2 weeks), Apple TV and my wife has an iPad2.

Now I got out of nowhere (well, it was a surprise) from my bank some loyalty points which equal approx. US$ 260.00 and I am thinkin if I should get the Mini now and enjoy it or wait as the vouchers are valid for 6 month from now (basically until early October 2013.

We are going for a 1 month vacation in May and I am planning to take my MBA (will do a lot of photo- & videography and need to move the data from the SD cards to an external drive. My wife will take her iPad2 and i take my iPhone either way.

Should I get the iPad Mini now, enjoy it during the trip and have fun with it over the next months; or should I wait and maybe get an iPad Mini2 sometime later this year (will it come before October) and hope it will be better? I have read Retina might not come in the 2nd generation yet, so why wait?

We are happy with the iPad2 and although I have Retina on the iPhone I am not that display horny for Retina I think.

Thanks for your suggestions.
cheers

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Wait until end of June to see if a new iPad Mini will be released if you don't mind waiting that long.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Wait until end of June to see if a new iPad Mini will be released if you don't mind waiting that long.

and if it doesn't get released, then wait until sept.

If in sept it still hasn't been released, then just wait until before christmas.

You know what, just never buy anything because a new and better model is always around the corner, its always best to have the latest and greatest, their is no point in owning what is currently available.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai

That is the question, I am not sure if I want to wait longer, especially cause the 2nd gen iPad mini seems not to get the Retina display yet, so what would be something that is worth the wait.

What could the Mini2 do better than the Mini1? A6 processor, ok a bit faster, but that would be pretty much everything, or not?

One more question, does the iPad mini come with iMovie preinstalled or do I have to purchase it seperately?

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
That is the question, I am not sure if I want to wait longer, especially cause the 2nd gen iPad mini seems not to get the Retina display yet, so what would be something that is worth the wait.

What could the Mini2 do better than the Mini1? A6 processor, ok a bit faster, but that would be pretty much everything, or not?

One more question, does the iPad mini come with iMovie preinstalled or do I have to purchase it seperately?

if you do want something, don't think twice, just buy it. if you keep on waiting you'll end up not getting anything.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
if you do want something, don't think twice, just buy it. if you keep on waiting you'll end up not getting anything.

True! :)

I think I won't be able to hold back for another few months as I waited that long already!

Now the question is, white or black, 16 or 32GB (would have to put some more money on top, but that would be ok)? I am tempted as well to get a Belkin keyboard cover, iMovie on the Mini and maybe even leave the MBA at home?!

What do you guys think?

I use iMovie daily to edit my car spotting movies (and others) and I would love to know if I could do the same on the Mini during the vacation!

What are your thougts?

thx

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
and if it doesn't get released, then wait until sept.

If in sept it still hasn't been released, then just wait until before christmas.

You know what, just never buy anything because a new and better model is always around the corner, its always best to have the latest and greatest, their is no point in owning what is currently available.

But I already bought an iPad Mini when it was released. I wasn't going to wait for half a year for the iPad Mini 2.

However, if I didn't have an iPad Mini, I wouldn't mine waiting 2 months for the next version to see what's going to be released.

Since he already waited 6 months since the iPad Mini came out, might as well wait another 2 months for the new version.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Now the question is, white or black, 16 or 32GB (would have to put some more money on top, but that would be ok)?
I use iMovie daily to edit my car spotting movies (and others) and I would love to know if I could do the same on the Mini during the vacation!
32GB probably. Black in my opinion. And yes you can use iMovie on it. And as for waiting, there are no strong rumors that indicate that the next iPad mini will be here in 2 months.

Since he already waited 6 months since the iPad Mini came out, might as well wait another 2 months for the new version.
No one knows for sure when the iPads will be updated. Will it be 2 months or 6 months? I think the short span between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4 was an abnormality and mostly done because of the Lightning connector.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Hey guys,

Since the Mini was released I wanted one badly, but our Finance Minister (my wife ;-) ) said no.

I have a MBA 13" since Nov'13, an iPhone 4S (will replace it with the 5 in 2 weeks), Apple TV and my wife has an iPad2.

Now I got out of nowhere (well, it was a surprise) from my bank some loyalty points which equal approx. US$ 260.00 and I am thinkin if I should get the Mini now and enjoy it or wait as the vouchers are valid for 6 month from now (basically until early October 2013.

We are going for a 1 month vacation in May and I am planning to take my MBA (will do a lot of photo- & videography and need to move the data from the SD cards to an external drive. My wife will take her iPad2 and i take my iPhone either way.

Should I get the iPad Mini now, enjoy it during the trip and have fun with it over the next months; or should I wait and maybe get an iPad Mini2 sometime later this year (will it come before October) and hope it will be better? I have read Retina might not come in the 2nd generation yet, so why wait?

We are happy with the iPad2 and although I have Retina on the iPhone I am not that display horny for Retina I think.

Thanks for your suggestions.
cheers

The Mini isn't going to do anything with iMovie beyond what your iPad 2 can already do, or your 4S for that matter. You're just buying another A5 processor. Might as well buy an iPod Touch (5th gen). At least it will fit in your pocket and has a retina display.

If you want a Mini, wait until the retina version is released. You'll be able to pick up one of the current models for $100. The used market will be absolutely flooded with them.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The Mini isn't going to do anything with iMovie beyond what your iPad 2 can already do, or your 4S for that matter. You're just buying another A5 processor. Might as well buy an iPod Touch (5th gen). At least it will fit in your pocket and has a retina display.

If you want a Mini, wait until the retina version is released. You'll be able to pick up one of the current models for $100. The used market will be absolutely flooded with them.
iPad mini is better for editing movies than an iPod Touch would be.

As for waiting for a Retina mini. will that be out in 2 months, 6 months or 18 moths? No one knows. I'm leaning towards September as the earliest we'd see an update.

And you don't know for sure how low used iPad mini prices will go. Not everyone will dump them if/when a Retina mini is available.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
I decided not to wait and not to risk a change in the voucher policy (you never know) and got the Mini in white (the black ones backside looks cheap, like plastic) and I took it with 32GB in case I will edit a bit on iMovie with it.

Can't wait to use it in the evening when coming home.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I decided not to wait and not to risk a change in the voucher policy (you never know) and got the Mini in white (the black ones backside looks cheap, like plastic) and I took it with 32GB in case I will edit a bit on iMovie with it.

Can't wait to use it in the evening when coming home.

Conrats!

P.S. If you do not like it, don't hesitate in PM'ing me. I can give you my address so you can ship to me for free :p

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
iPad mini is better for editing movies than an iPod Touch would be.

His MacBook Air is better for editing movies.

As for waiting for a Retina mini. will that be out in 2 months, 6 months or 18 moths? No one knows. I'm leaning towards September as the earliest we'd see an update.

Exactly, no one knows.

And you don't know for sure how low used iPad mini prices will go. Not everyone will dump them if/when a Retina mini is available.

I'd say one in four will.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I rather wait for the iPad Mini 2/iPad 5.

Honestly getting a device with an A5 chip now is sorta late. Its good but first A5 was on the iPad 2 that released in Mar 2011.

2 years and 1 month.

The iPad Mini is very much like the iPad 1. The iPad Mini 2 will fix a lot of problems the iPad Mini has (Retina display, faster chip, more RAM, etc.)

But if you dont mind those, then the iPad Mini isn't bad.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Yes..that true and just to add to that he might as well continued with his mb air till around sept, which means his voucher could have been valid till sept-oct ( 5-6months).he could have den picked up an ipad mini just before the voucher ended, and returned it later under the no questions asked policy (not satisfied) by which surely the ipad mini 2 wld released.

Oh! Well..he got it now.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I don't think you will regret your decision. I usually buy the latest and greatest when it comes to my mobile Apple products, and the one and only disappointment I had was the iPad 3. The screen was nice, but it felt slower than the 2 and battery life was awful. When iPad Mini released with the iPad 2 specs, had did not mind at all jumping in, and I fear that when they eventually release the retina, I will wait a generation for them to optimize the speed....it's a lot to put in a small package, and I think it takes a bit to tweak it right.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
That's my thoughts too, I will enjoy my iPad Mini now and see what the new one will bring and decide if I will switch or continue using it until the 3rd generation will come.

I don't need the latest (its nice sure), but paying premium for it and play guinea pig for anyone I don't like.

I got my iPhone 4S in March last year, so in the mid life cycle with rumors for the 5 already in process. Now I will be switching to the 5 even though the 5S will come in September or so.

This saves me big bucks and I get a product that has been tested and all bugs got fixed over the first month after the initial release.

My wife is still using here iPad2 an she is still very happy with it. She mostly uses to watch online videos, chat with the family and send an email now and than. I will be using my mini for the exact same things, mostly on the couch or in the bed before sleep and whenever I will travel. For the heavier stuff I have my MBA and hopefully by end of the year I gonna opt for a maxed out iMac 27"/32GB/3TB Fusion/2GB graphics for the really heavy video edit stuff.

I already live the mini and as my wife's iPad isn't retina I don't feel the display being bad.

Thanks guys

P.s. I live in Dubai and here we don't have this return policy like in the US or refurb options.

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
My husband got the mini and loves it. It's noticeably slower than my iPhone 5, but not enough to really matter. Great little device.

jbimler

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
I don't think you will regret your decision. I usually buy the latest and greatest when it comes to my mobile Apple products, and the one and only disappointment I had was the iPad 3. The screen was nice, but it felt slower than the 2 and battery life was awful. When iPad Mini released with the iPad 2 specs, had did not mind at all jumping in, and I fear that when they eventually release the retina, I will wait a generation for them to optimize the speed....it's a lot to put in a small package, and I think it takes a bit to tweak it right.
Battery life awful? On the iPad third gen? Mine is lasting me three to four days on moderate use. The tablet is a beast.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012

I don't need the latest (its nice sure), but paying premium for it and play guinea pig for anyone I don't like.

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. Did you get you iPad mini cheaper then retail or are you implying that the retina iPad mini will cost more then the current gen?

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
That's my thoughts too, I will enjoy my iPad Mini now and see what the new one will bring and decide if I will switch or continue using it until the 3rd generation will come.

I got my iPhone 4S in March last year, so in the mid life cycle with rumors for the 5 already in process. Now I will be switching to the 5 even though the 5S will come in September or so.

This saves me big bucks and I get a product that has been tested and all bugs got fixed over the first month after the initial release.

My wife is still using here iPad2 an she is still very happy with it. She mostly uses to watch online videos, chat with the family and send an email now and than. I will be using my mini for the exact same things, mostly on the couch or in the bed before sleep and whenever I will travel. For the heavier stuff I have my MBA and hopefully by end of the year I gonna opt for a maxed out iMac 27"/32GB/3TB Fusion/2GB graphics for the really heavy video edit stuff.

I already live the mini and as my wife's iPad isn't retina I don't feel the display being bad.

Thanks guys

P.s. I live in Dubai and here we don't have this return policy like in the US or refurb options.

If you are in dubai, you got options to pick it up cheapest from souq.com, dealpuss.com and even the actual UAE apple web store http://www.apple.com/ae, sells it at the lowest possible price. Too bad they don't allow refurb options or exchange programs here. Although the Apple store in Mall of the Emirates, might be a good idea to check out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.