Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Who has the 3, and thinks its better than the 4? I like it because it runs ios 5, and feel like people with the 4 think that their iPad is way better than ours.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Who has the 3, and thinks its better than the 4? I like it because it runs ios 5, and feel like people with the 4 think that their iPad is way better than ours.

I have the iPad 3. I am quite please with it. However, the iPad 4 is clearly superior (in my opinion). If iPad 4 people think their iPad is better than ours, then they have good reason to think that way :)

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
I have a 3rd gen and I'd definitely prefer a 4th, but I don't see the point in upgrading at this point. iOS 5 wasn't that much better of a performer (not to mention I already have iOS 6 on my 3).

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
I have the iPad 3. I am quite please with it. However, the iPad 4 is clearly superior (in my opinion). If iPad 4 people think their iPad is better than ours, then they have good reason to think that way :)

Aside from a faster CPU for gaming, what does the iPad 4 have that the iPad 3 doesn't?

I'm on an iPad 2, which is why I'm asking.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I wanted an iPad for two years and waited for the 3rd gen before taking the leap.

It runs smooth and fast, runs all apps I need quickly, and at the end of the day I'm happy and grateful to have an iPad.

----------

Aside from a faster CPU for gaming, what does the iPad 4 have that the iPad 3 doesn't?

The Lightning Port.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada

Well,it has an HD camera, makes a big difference if you video call, the new connector,say whatever people say, I find it much more convinient than the older 30 pin connector.

Plus the iPad 3rd Gen basically has the same CPU as the iPad 2,which is now more than two years old,it will get significantly behind than 4th gen in the not so distant future.

That said, if one has an iPad 3rd gen,4th gen does not feel much of a difference as of now.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
For what I need iPad 3 does everything without any problem, so for me it is equal to the 4th... don't need to change.... same display, overall good battery and fast wifi.... I don.t carry it away so I don't need Lte....

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
The iPad 4 does not provide me with a sufficient reason to upgrade. I mean, browsing website and general application performance between both are fine for my needs.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'll never understand why it actually matters. Sometimes I feel like people ask these questions are simply trying to justify what they do or don't have. I'm happy with what I have. If not, I'll work harder and buy something else. I don't associate with people who try to make others feel less if they don't own the latest.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Google it. I know comparisons have been made with the leader being the 4.

I have already googled it, my friend, and the only results (of significance) that I could see was the different CPU and better cam. All the comparisons I have seen are about the difference in hardware-specs. My question is more about differences under practical use, which is why I mentioned gaming performance. It was the only obvious difference that I could think of.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I have already googled it, my friend, and the only results (of significance) that I could see was the different CPU and better cam. All the comparisons I have seen are about the difference in hardware-specs. My question is more about differences under practical use, which is why I mentioned gaming performance. It was the only obvious difference that I could think of.

Hi. Longer battery life, faster performance, faster recharging, maintains charge with a heavy load, and runs cooler in some use cases. It's not worth an upgrade from the 3 (for me), but it is still undeniably superior in performance. If I was upgrading from a 2, or if I was getting my first tablet, the 4 would be my choice without question. Of course, I am waiting now for the 5 :)

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
If you have an iPad 3 I don't think that it is worth it to upgrade, just my opinion. But the 4 is better, faster, better camera, new connector, though not sure last item is actually an improvement.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Hi. Longer battery life, faster performance, faster recharging, maintains charge with a heavy load, and runs cooler in some use cases. It's not worth an upgrade from the 3 (for me), but it is still undeniably superior in performance. If I was upgrading from a 2, or if I was getting my first tablet, the 4 would be my choice without question. Of course, I am waiting now for the 5 :)
Thanks for the information, I needed to be sure that there was a significant difference between them, other than what I can guess from reading the spec sheets and (more or less) inconclusive tests. Like you, I have actually been waiting for the 5, but if it takes too long (i.e. it's not out by mid-summer), I'll just get a 4 instead.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Not quite sure what the difference is between the 3 and the 4

Google is really your friend

A6X processor

The biggest difference between the iPad 3 and iPad 4 is a processor that produces twice the speed both with graphics and pure processing power.

Upgraded Cameras

The back-facing camera is still a 5 MP iSight that has basic features like face detection, backside illumination, five-elements lens and hybrid IR filter. But the front-facing camera has been upgraded to provide 720p HD video and the ability to take 1.2 MP photos. And a key detail in the upgrade comes with the A6X processor, which has improved signal processing to help photos look sharper and take advantage of the Retina Display.

Better Wi-Fi, Wider 4G LTE

The new Wi-Fi technology built into the iPad 4 can also provide a significant speed increase. The dual-band capability, which accepts 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11n signals, allows for "theoretical" download speeds up to 150 Mbps.

What's that mean? The vast majority of us aren't going to hit anywhere near 150 Mbps, but for those with a dual-band router, this is very good news. The iPad taking full advantage of dual-band technology means a faster, more responsive iPad when downloading information from the web. The faster processor is great, but most of the time, mobile devices are limited by their weakest link. No matter how fast the iPad can process information, it has to get that information first, and getting it faster can make a big difference.

Lightning Connector

The iPad 4 also moves the iPad from the old 30-pin connector to the Lightning connector.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Thanks for the information, I needed to be sure that there was a significant difference between them, other than what I can guess from reading the spec sheets and (more or less) inconclusive tests. Like you, I have actually been waiting for the 5, but if it takes too long (i.e. it's not out by mid-summer), I'll just get a 4 instead.

Glad I could help. This is a good situation to be in, because the 3 really is a great tablet. I can wait as long as it takes for the 5. I've been seriously considering Android (as I do every time I upgrade), but besides some better aspects of the Android OS, and a few apps that I prefer in their Android incarnations, the iPad is an obvious winner (for my use case). If they make the expected case changes to the 5, it's going to be quite a nice update, and I am pretty excited about it.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Is the iPad 3 heavier than the forth? and doesnt the iPad 3 get a lot hotter than the 4? These are some difference I have heard other people mention, and was always curious.

I only have a lowly iPad 2. ;)

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012

Listen i have the 2, and think its better than the 3 or 4. Quite frankly it does not run as hot, it is noticeably thinner, and the battery is better. I am still using it after 2 years, it works fine, and I am not sure I would even upgrade once the 5 is out.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Is the iPad 3 heavier than the forth? and doesnt the iPad 3 get a lot hotter than the 4? These are some difference I have heard other people mention, and was always curious.

I only have a lowly iPad 2. ;)

The weight is the same. The temperature depends on your use case. Neither the three nor the four have been terribly hot for me. But, if you are a heavy gamer, maybe you have a different experience. Either way, these are all things Google can answer for you...

There is nothing lowly about the 2. In fact, it gets the best battery life of any iPad in actual usage. I prefer a Retina display, but if you don't mind the screen on the 2, then you have an excellent device :)

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
The weight is the same. The temperature depends on your use case. Neither the three nor the four have been terribly hot for me. But, if you are a heavy gamer, maybe you have a different experience. Either way, these are all things Google can answer for you...

There is nothing lowly about the 2. In fact, it gets the best battery life of any iPad in actual usage. I prefer a Retina display, but if you don't mind the screen on the 2, then you have an excellent device :)

I really agree with you--- it really gets the best battery life! In addition you only notice the screen difference when you have them side by side. For example I dont remember what my iphone 3gs looked like anymore, my eyes got used to the retina, but if I were to go back to the gs, I would notice.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Listen i have the 2, and think its better than the 3 or 4. Quite frankly it does not run as hot, it is noticeably thinner, and the battery is better. I am still using it after 2 years, it works fine, and I am not sure I would even upgrade once the 5 is out.

the iPad 2 is noticeably thinner??? LOL. it's 3/5 of a mm thinner

i think you meant to say weight, which i do agree with you. having used an iPad 2 for about a year, when i went to the iPad 3 i could immediately notice the extra weight. we're not talking about a huge weight difference, but for something you are holding for a long period of time it becomes noticeable. as steve jobs said, when something is 1.5 lbs even a 10% reduction in weight makes a HUGE difference (when he was presenting the iPad 2 in comparison to the iPad 1)

Last edited:

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
You are correct, I was referring to the weight lol. It is noticeably lighter and I like the increased battery. I had purchased a 3 last year and returned it because of the weight and heat. I dont think the 3 or 4 are the best ipads to have come out.

the iPad 2 is noticeably thinner??? LOL. it's 3/5 of a mm thicker.

i think you meant to say weight, which i do agree with you. having used an iPad 2 for about a year, when i went to the iPad 3 i could immediately notice the extra weight. we're not talking about a huge weight difference, but for something you are holding for a long period of time it becomes noticeable. as steve jobs said, when something is 1.5 lbs even a 10% reduction in weight makes a HUGE difference (when he was presenting the iPad 2 in comparison to the iPad 1)

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
The difference between the 3 & 4 for 99% of users is nothing. The changes in the iPad 4 were very little.

My theory is that they made little changes so that everybody goes out and buys the iPad mini. iPad 4 sales have been considerably weaker.

Then the all new iPad 5 comes out with the new form factor and boom! Every puppet goes out and gets the new iPad 5!

I work in a reseller and I look at the iPad 4 next to the mini everyday and the design looks very outdated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.