Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
LaCie does not stand by their products. I will bet my left nut it comes with a 1 year warranty. And I bet my other nut you can't replace those drives.

I prefer if you send them via UPS. I'll send my shipping address via PM.
I can even be so nice and pay the shipping costs.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
And how old are those stories with their PSU ?
They've got all newer , smaller ones .

Those PSU problems are a thing of the past , i think Lacie learned from this.
Deal with it.

The stories with the PSU are pretty current . . . since we are talking about it right now. My last LaCie d2 PSU went up about two years ago.

I am not a HDD basher, I've owned enclosures and drives from every manufacturer and they all have problems.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
I joke about 'educational videos' cause I can't see a reason to buy LaCie other than for storing this kind of content. Maybe they've come a long way since, but the last LaCie enclosure I had was so noisy I had to get rid of it in order not to go nuts. It was like being inside a jet the whole day, and this was considered 'normal' by LaCie.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I can hardly understand their ridiculous policy of having two separate products, one for TB and one for Ethernet at such crazy prices.

A simple relocation of the hardware beyond a TB enriched computer makes this as useless as a brick, while just Ethernet, has the same price as the TB

you idiots.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Do you understand why some customers might need a NAS, and others might need a storage array with very high performance as attached storage?

A NAS array cannot deliver the performance of a Thunderbolt array. The NAS productfrom LaCie is claiming 200+ MB/sec with it's two bonded 1Gbps Ethernet connections, and 780+ MB/sec with its Thunderbolt RAID product.

Both look identical on the outside. They share the same 5big metal chassis but the internals are completely different. The NAS has a dual-core Intel Atom and 4GB of RAM. The RAID variation has a Thunderbolt controller inside.

Probably not room for both types of controllers?

The drive drawers are the same - 5 slots for drives, each in a metal carrier.

I saw both at the PEPCOM expo last night at CES.

mauvehead

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Lacie drives are just so sexy to me...I pulled the trigger on their 6TB Thunderbolt RAID drive last spring and I've not yet felt any buyer's remorse. File transfers between it and my SSD equipped MBP are phenomenal and I can't fathom going back to a slower protocol ever again for my primary external needs. 100GB transfers typically take 90sec or so...Talk about convenience...

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
LaCie does not stand by their products. I will bet my left nut it comes with a 1 year warranty. And I bet my other nut you can't replace those drives.

Exactly the same as Apple, but I bet you aren't bitching about them though.

They have as much confidence in their products as Apple does in it's. Yet all the loyal fans think it's fine for Apple to offer such crap service on $3,500 machines but expect a company to provide more on something that is 1/3 of the price?

Vidivici

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Europe
The stories with the PSU are pretty current . . . since we are talking about it right now. My last LaCie d2 PSU went up about two years ago.

I am not a HDD basher, I've owned enclosures and drives from every manufacturer and they all have problems.

2 years , but the d2 wasnt that new?
I've seen the topics about their psu problems , but all posts from devices bought 4 - 5 years ago. No new ones .

Got myself a 1tb lacie starck aswell , 2.5 years old.
No psu problems , no HDD noise problems.

Dark Fiber

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
I've seen the topics about their psu problems , but all posts from devices bought 4 - 5 years ago. No new ones .

I agree, the firestorm of bad reports applied to their dual voltage (12V/5V) PSUs. I don't recall seeing any complaints about the newer 12V only units.
This is reflected in my personal experience- several 12/5s dead after less than two years, while my 12s are so far so good!

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Ulimate NAS? ...Mac Mini+20TB Tbolt DAS.

Anyone bought one of these then?
(and if so, what do you use for your backup?)

Got a 2012 Mac Mini, so this might be a great server solution: best of DAS (Thunderbolt), best of NAS (connected to a perminently on Mac) as well! AFAICT.

Anything a dedicated quality NAS box can do, or do better, than this Mac Mini+TBolt DAS set-up?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Maybe....

in the next generation/revision of this hardware or in a two-year period the prices can be 40% off and I am sold.....:D

:):apple:

shalliday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Just purchased a Western Digital 8TB Thunderbolt My Book Duo to hook up to my 2011 MacMini (using 27" Thunderbolt display) but am now thinking of returning it for the 10TB Lacie Thunderbolt 5big DAS.

Searched the web and the Lacie product reviews look good but have only been able to find a couple of user reviews on the 5big.

Any opinions as to the build quality and reliability of Lacie products, (read about them having faulty power supplies) and whether the 5big would be worth the additional cost over the WD unit?

Thanks!

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Ulimate NAS? ...Mac Mini+20TB Tbolt DAS.

Anyone bought one of these then?
(and if so, what do you use for your backup?)

Got a 2012 Mac Mini, so this might be a great server solution: best of DAS (Thunderbolt), best of NAS (connected to a perminently on Mac) as well! AFAICT.

Anything a dedicated quality NAS box can do, or do better, than this Mac Mini+TBolt DAS set-up?

Bump. Anyone? Thoughts?

eeb

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
NAS w/thunderbolt...(at the same time)

Can I have an SSD based NAS box *with* git-E, a couple thunderbolt connectors and a couple of USB 3 connectors. As far as the t-bolt and USB3 connectors I should be able to use those to connect into the box directly (as I might a USB or t-bolt hard drive) or extend the boxes storage (so, as a NAS, I can extend it's storage with more fast SSD's or drives).

This would give me a quiet on-desk solution that was rocket fast for my primary computing devices (one or two) while giving me network access to that storage for all my other machines (without needing my primary computers on or active). Then there is no choosing, I get it all in one. Win.

shalliday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Anyone bought one of these then? (and if so, what do you use for your backup?)
While I ended up returning the WD 8TB Thunderbolt My Book Duo, I was going to use my Synology 1511+ to back it up. Considering the disk size, I think a NAS would make a great backup solution.

pcboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Bought one too. The speed is ok, and it works. Capacity is big. That's all I need. Not the best choice since it has no raid and price is expensive too. But again, it works for me.

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
I'm also thinking of getting of the 5big to replace all my drives. I've been buying hard drives once every 2 years and they all comes in different shapes and sizes and looks so unsightly in the room. I'm hoping this will solve all my storage needs and look beautiful at the same time.

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
I am no HDD basher, but I've had my fair share of LaCie power supplies conk out on me.

Not nice to see that someone else has had the same problem with LaCie power supplies. I also have had a problem with the bridge boards.

Anybody know what I can do with three LaCie aluminium drive cases? Would they make good birdhouses?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I think for most home users a NAS might be overkill. To me the craze of putting USB2 ports on routers is the way to go for most home users. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a NAS any day. IMHO as new wireless standards and that port on routers might change to USB3 or better real soon.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Not nice to see that someone else has had the same problem with LaCie power supplies. I also have had a problem with the bridge boards.

Anybody know what I can do with three LaCie aluminium drive cases? Would they make good birdhouses?

Funny you should say that. I had to pull the perfectly working drives out and the cases sat for months. I contemplated getting more PSUs for them, but in the end, they wound up in the recycling bin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.