Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
To allow Apple again, to sell us the new THINNEST, LIGHTEST notebook (with a smaller battery). :(

Don't sell your 2012 just yet.

My worry as well. Don't leave the battery the same and get 10 hours, make it smaller and get the 6 hours. I don't need it thinner, I do want ipad length battery on a MacBook Air.

EXACTLY! There's no "thinnovation" in running out of battery when on the road. And it's not like anything out of Apple in the last 3 years was considered "thick" so most users would appreciate better battery life over thin bragging rights.

That said, I dont think theyll change the air design yet so this may be good news for 2013 models.

I guess I'll be the rebel in this thread and say that I actually look forward to seeing a thinner and lighter Macbook Air, even if it does mean compromises in battery. Of course, as long as it equals the same battery life as the current generation MBA, then it will be seamless for customers, as have all Apple products have been that that have gone through thinning over the years.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I guess I'll be the rebel in this thread and say that I actually look forward to seeing a thinner and lighter Macbook Air, even if it does mean compromises in battery. Of course, as long as it equals the same battery life as the current generation MBA, then it will be seamless for customers, as have all Apple products have been that that have gone through thinning over the years.

Not really a compromises, they can do a lighter and thinner Air with the same 7 Hours of usage

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I think they'll keep the form factor unchanged, and use the extension in battery life to enable a retina display.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I think they'll keep the form factor unchanged, and use the extension in battery life to enable a retina display.

Oh yeaa. But i think they will have to get rid of macbook pro 13" retina. So i guess would not happen, or will have like before a macbook air 13" with better screen and less performance than pro 13"

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
You cannot upgrade the processor in a MBA. For me its pretty simple. Dump the 2010 Air to my daughter, give her Lenovo to my son, and I get the new Haswell MBA. :D

Trickle down economics in action with you at the top of the totem pole. You squeeze extra years out of old hardware and get the latest tech simultaneously.

CocoaNut

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2011
Switzerland
I would certainly welcome another hour or so in a 2013 11" MBA, but the thing that I would really like to see is a larger screen in each form factor (though not necessarily Retina).

That could mean a MBA with a 12.2" or a 14" screen, without changing external sizes, according to my personal measurements, and based on what's being done on MBP's.

My eyes bleed every time I see that big bezel!

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
My eyes bleed every time I see that big bezel!

Couldn't agree more. That big bezel on the 11'' is what has kept me from trying it. I don't understand how someone like Jony Ive feels ok with that bezel... I can't imagine it being too hard to put a larger screen in there.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57578193-92/intels-next-gen-haswell-chip-now-shipping-to-pc-makers/

It has started to ship to manufacturers and Intel are going to release a statement later this week. Better battery life is the single most important thing I've been yearning for in 2013 MBAs.

The full quote from Intel CEO: "The single largest generation-to-generation battery life improvement in Intel history".

Very excited :D I wonder if by shipping to "major PC makers" they also include Apple...

What is the news here?

1) Cnet is a horrible untrustworthy website. With a long history of jaded and biased reviews and poor incorrect articles.

2) The statement of improved battery life is from an old Intel statement. The only thing the source confirms is that the chipset is shipping.

Here is the deal - For a long while, but especially with Sandy and Ivy, Intel have hyped up their battery claims, and always to roaring disappointments.

I'm not denying the possibility of significant gains, and trust me - I would be thrilled! It would be awesome to get 10 hours on a rMBP, but I just doubt it. unfortunately.

Maybe it's true. But if it's true real-world scenario will probably be less significant than hyped here. Much like how many manufactureres exaggerate their battery runtime, or run them with unreasonable low performance and features removed.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
What is the news here?

1) Cnet is a horrible untrustworthy website. With a long history of jaded and biased reviews and poor incorrect articles.

2) The statement of improved battery life is from an old Intel statement. The only thing the source confirms is that the chipset is shipping.

Here is the deal - For a long while, but especially with Sandy and Ivy, Intel have hyped up their battery claims, and always to roaring disappointments.

I'm not denying the possibility of significant gains, and trust me - I would be thrilled! It would be awesome to get 10 hours on a rMBP, but I just doubt it. unfortunately.

Maybe it's true. But if it's true real-world scenario will probably be less significant than hyped here. Much like how many manufactureres exaggerate their battery runtime, or run them with unreasonable low performance and features removed.

seriously...what happened to cnet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.