Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manowar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
I have 2009 Mac Pro and i have 2 80gb ssd drives, i wanted to know is there a way to merge the 2 drives into one?

cheers

manowar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Thanks guys

----------

just one quick question

Do both drives need to be empty?

shalliday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Setting up two SSD drives with raid means if you loose one, you loose both so its even more important to have it backed up in case of failure.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
You don't have to use RAID-0 for speed and space with the somewhat greater failure risk.

You can also concatenate them (using the Apple RAID setup screen in Disk Utility) which will simply make them appear as one larger contiguous disk drive. There is no speed enhancement, simply a larger pool of disk space, and there is no increase in risk over a single drive.

-howard

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
You don't have to use RAID-0 for speed and space with the somewhat greater failure risk.

You can also concatenate them (using the Apple RAID setup screen in Disk Utility) which will simply make them appear as one larger contiguous disk drive. There is no speed enhancement, simply a larger pool of disk space, and there is no increase in risk over a single drive.

-howard

There actually is a little speed enhancement that way too. It's just not 1.9x to 2x like RAID0 is. It's probably like 1.2x or 1.15x, something like that. :) RAID1 is also a little faster too - maybe 1.2x to 1.3x - around there.

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware

-howard

However if you do this, you won't be able to use trim, but on RAID0 striped, you can

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
This is a rare comment around here but...I don't know:D
I do know I tried it by mistake, nothing but issues with concatinated. I even tried the terminal commands, no go

Hmm ... that is really strange, hopefully someone can explain this for us.

I have concatenated hard disks many times, but haven't had a need for concatenated SSDs thus far.

-howard

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
Hmm ... that is really strange, hopefully someone can explain this for us.

I have concatenated hard disks many times, but haven't had a need for concatenated SSDs thus far.

-howard

My intention was to stripe the 2 SSD's I have into RAID0 for performance purposes. I accidentally hit concatenated, let it be that way for a few weeks, it did not work out. I use rotational drives for data storage. I'm getting about 450MBps peak read/write with this arrangement. (2 M4 Crucials 128GB)

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
This is a rare comment around here but...I don't know:D

LOL :D
Yup, even when they don't know they still claim they do. ;)

I do know I tried it by mistake, nothing but issues with concatinated. I even tried the terminal commands, no go

Thanks! I'll keep they in mind. I was thinking that concatenation might actually/finally be useful with SSDs too. :-/ I've concatenated HDDs just for testing & experimenting but since it's not very useful compared to RAID0 never for very long.

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
LOL :D
Yup, even when they don't know they still claim they do. ;)

Thanks! I'll keep they in mind. I was thinking that concatenation might actually/finally be useful with SSDs too. :-/ I've concatenated HDDs just for testing & experimenting but since it's not very useful compared to RAID0 never for very long.

You caught that spelling issue eh? I fixed it the second time around hehe:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.