Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Hello,

I've moved my iTunes library and my Lightroom library over to my external storage, so I've removed the sidebar favourite and dragged in my new shortcuts so I can easily find them but the icons of the favourites just display a blank folder, I've changed the actual folder icons themselves but the sidebar favourites won't. How can I change the sidebar favourite icons to look like their originals?

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Sorry if this is a stupid question.. but I've installed Xtrafinder.. How can I use this to change the sidebar favourite icons?

Open XtraFinder preferences and See screenshot.
(tick the "Show Colourful Icons" box.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 16.20.27.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 16.20.27.png
    138.2 KB · Views: 87

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Open XtraFinder preferences and See screenshot.
(tick the "Show Colourful Icons" box.)

hello,

I'm afraid you have misunderstood the question. I have all my music, video and pictures on an external drive, therefore I moved the the existing sidebar favourites to the trash and dragged my new Music, Video and Pictures folders into the sidebar favourites, but they just appear as folders, can I change the icons to match how they used to look?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
hello,

I'm afraid you have misunderstood the question. I have all my music, video and pictures on an external drive, therefore I moved the the existing sidebar favourites to the trash and dragged my new Music, Video and Pictures folders into the sidebar favourites, but they just appear as folders, can I change the icons to match how they used to look?

It's hard to say, reason, I don't know how you moved the Folders.
The normal way to do this is to move those folders from your Home Folder to the external and then make symlinks into the Home Folders, if you do it that way and drag the Folders to the SideBar they should be like before.

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
I tried to cut and paste the original folders from my user directory, but it said "could not move as it is required by os x"?

Is there a tutorial on how to do this as I'm really confused? How do I move the user directory folders from the boot drive? And what is symlink?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I tried to cut and paste the original folders from my user directory, but it said "could not move as it is required by os x"?

Is there a tutorial on how to do this as I'm really confused? How do I move the user directory folders from the boot drive? And what is symlink?

A symlink is a hardlink to the original Folder/File, like an Alias.

You can remove System Folders with Terminal, like this:

sudo rm -r "path to Folder"

Example:

sudo rm -r /Users/****/Music
Hit Enter
Enter Password
Enter

****= your Home Folders name.
Instead of typing the path you can drag the Folder into Terminal but leave a space after the -r

Do this with all the Folders you want to delete, WARNING ALL CONTENTS ARE DELETED THIS WAY!

Then, to make symlinks:

ln -s "path to resource" "path to Target"
Again, you can drag the Folders into Terminal.

Example

sudo ln -s /Volumes/diskname/music /Users/****/

****= your home folder
diskname is the external disk where you have the original Folders.

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks for that!

I'm not entirely sure what I am creating a symlink for?

I would like the user folders Movies, Music, Pictures and Download to be stored on the HDD. I have no data in the SSD user folders, but I am a bit confused by the instructions above, where am I creating a symlink and what will it be linking to where?

Could I use an app to create symlinks as I think that would be much easier for me to understand?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks for that!

I'm not entirely sure what I am creating a symlink for?

I would like the user folders Movies, Music, Pictures and Download to be stored on the HDD. I have no data in the SSD user folders, but I am a bit confused by the instructions above, where am I creating a symlink and what will it be linking to where?

Could I use an app to create symlinks as I think that would be much easier for me to understand?

The way I explained above creates symlinks FROM the external INTO the Home Folder where they normally are.

I will attach a Contextual Menu Item here in a zip file, put this in:

/Library/Contextual Menu Items/

Logout and in again, the if you right click or option click on the Original Folder on the external (Like Music) you will see a menu item to make a symlink.
When it is created you need to put that one on the SSD inside the Home folder after you delete the Music Folder which is there as shown above.

Attachments

• SymbolicLinker.plugin.zip
    53.2 KB · Views: 78

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks I'll try that as soon as I get home..

What's the easiest way to delete the existing music folder in the home directory?

Will I just be able to drag and drop the symlink into the user directory?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks I'll try that as soon as I get home..

What's the easiest way to delete the existing music folder in the home directory?

Will I just be able to drag and drop the symlink into the user directory?

It's in post #8 but I will quote myself:

You can remove System Folders with Terminal, like this:

sudo rm -r "path to Folder"

Example:

sudo rm -r /Users/****/Music
Hit Enter
Enter Password
Enter

****= your Home Folders name.
Instead of typing the path you can drag the Folder into Terminal but leave a space after the -r

Do this with all the Folders you want to delete, WARNING ALL CONTENTS ARE DELETED THIS WAY!

And, yes, you can drag and drop the symlink in the Home Folder as soon as the other Folder(s)are deleted.

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks for your help! I was having trouble understanding exactly what has to be done but I was being stupid!

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
It's hard to say, reason, I don't know how you moved the Folders.
The normal way to do this is to move those folders from your Home Folder to the external and then make symlinks into the Home Folders, if you do it that way and drag the Folders to the SideBar they should be like before.

After following the steps to create a symlink for my Pictures folder, I used terminal and deleted the original User Directory, then created a symlink and dragged it into my User folder, then added the favourite but the icon remains a folder rather than the original Camera Icon.

The symlinks work perfectly regardless and it's a much more efficient way of organising my SSD/HDD configuration so thank you for that! But the sidebar icons haven't remained the way they would look if using the original boot drive user folders.. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
After following the steps to create a symlink for my Pictures folder, I used terminal and deleted the original User Directory, then created a symlink and dragged it into my User folder, then added the favourite but the icon remains a folder rather than the original Camera Icon.

The symlinks work perfectly regardless and it's a much more efficient way of organising my SSD/HDD configuration so thank you for that! But the sidebar icons haven't remained the way they would look if using the original boot drive user folders.. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

OK, now, there can be several causes, I made a screenshot which I attached below, I am pretty sure you want it to look like this.

It could be that the Preference file is the problem.
This is the first thing to try, again by using the terminal, you could also do it manually and I'll explain that as well.

The Terminal way:

1. Open Terminal.
2. Enter the following command
sudo mv /Users/****/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist /Users/****/Desktop
(****= your Home Folder name-thiswwill move the preference file to the Desktop instead of deleting it)
3. Hit Enter and your Password
4. Enter the following command (Finder with Capital F, otherwise won't work.
killall Finder
5 Hit Enter

Did this work?
If not move the com.apple.sidebarlists.plist back into the Preferences Folder and your preferences are back
Drag and drop will work but you need to relaunch the Finder again before it is back.

The simple way to do the above is to go to /Users/****Library/Preferences/ and drag the file to the Desktop, then relaunch the Finder, you can do this with the Terminal command above (killall Finder) or open Activity Monitor, select Finder and quit.

Try this first, if this does not work there are other ways, like repairing permission (Unlikely to work) and making custom Icons which I can send to you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 09.52.01.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 09.52.01.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 189

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
OK, now, there can be several causes, I made a screenshot which I attached below, I am pretty sure you want it to look like this.

It could be that the Preference file is the problem.
This is the first thing to try, again by using the terminal, you could also do it manually and I'll explain that as well.

The Terminal way:

1. Open Terminal.
2. Enter the following command
sudo mv /Users/****/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist /Users/****/Desktop
(****= your Home Folder name-thiswwill move the preference file to the Desktop instead of deleting it)
3. Hit Enter and your Password
4. Enter the following command (Finder with Capital F, otherwise won't work.
killall Finder
5 Hit Enter

Did this work?
If not move the com.apple.sidebarlists.plist back into the Preferences Folder and your preferences are back
Drag and drop will work but you need to relaunch the Finder again before it is back.

The simple way to do the above is to go to /Users/****Library/Preferences/ and drag the file to the Desktop, then relaunch the Finder, you can do this with the Terminal command above (killall Finder) or open Activity Monitor, select Finder and quit.

Try this first, if this does not work there are other ways, like repairing permission (Unlikely to work) and making custom Icons which I can send to you.

That's correct I am trying to get my sidebar to look how it did originally. If I delete one of my symlinks, for instance "Movies" and create a new standard folder and call it "Movies", when that folder is dragged to the sidebar I get the original icon back but when I drag my symlink I just get the folder icon.

Interestingly enough, when I go into my Finder preferences then tick and untick Music, Movies and Pictures my symlink folder icons disappear and reappear in the sidebar so Finder is obviously viewing them as it should be!

I could not see the sidebarpreferences file using finder so I used the Terminal method and followed your steps but nothing changed so I dragged the file back using Finder.

It seems very strange that in Finder preferences it it obviously seeing the folders as normal user directories but I can't get the original Icons back.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
That's correct I am trying to get my sidebar to look how it did originally. If I delete one of my symlinks, for instance "Movies" and create a new standard folder and call it "Movies", when that folder is dragged to the sidebar I get the original icon back but when I drag my symlink I just get the folder icon.

Interestingly enough, when I go into my Finder preferences then tick and untick Music, Movies and Pictures my symlink folder icons disappear and reappear in the sidebar so Finder is obviously viewing them as it should be!

I could not see the sidebarpreferences file using finder so I used the Terminal method and followed your steps but nothing changed so I dragged the file back using Finder.

It seems very strange that in Finder preferences it it obviously seeing the folders as normal user directories but I can't get the original Icons back.

No, it is not strange that the Finders Preferences display the correct ones, those are directly linked to the Icon files in the System Folder, not the actual Folders.
This is what you could try, drag one of the symlinks out of your Home folder, Desktop would be OK for instance, then create a new Folder with the name of the Folder you dragged out, just do Music for instance.
After you've done this get info on the Folder, does it show Generic or the right Icon, if it is the right Icon, click on it, then copy the Icon (Command-C), then click on the symlink Folder you moved, get info again, click on the Icon again and paste (Command-V), now, do you have the Music Icon on the symlink Music Folder, if yes delete the Music Folder you created and move the Music symlink back.
Did this work?

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
No, it is not strange that the Finders Preferences display the correct ones, those are directly linked to the Icon files in the System Folder, not the actual Folders.
This is what you could try, drag one of the symlinks out of your Home folder, Desktop would be OK for instance, then create a new Folder with the name of the Folder you dragged out, just do Music for instance.
After you've done this get info on the Folder, does it show Generic or the right Icon, if it is the right Icon, click on it, then copy the Icon (Command-C), then click on the symlink Folder you moved, get info again, click on the Icon again and paste (Command-V), now, do you have the Music Icon on the symlink Music Folder, if yes delete the Music Folder you created and move the Music symlink back.
Did this work?

I have edited the folder icons to the correct ones (Movies/Music/Pictures) but I still don't get the sidebar icons, just a normal folder.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have edited the folder icons to the correct ones (Movies/Music/Pictures) but I still don't get the sidebar icons, just a normal folder.

I just tried myself, make sure you have logged out and in again, it might make a difference, it did when I renamed my Pictures Folder and when I changed it back I had to logout and in again to see the changes!

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
I just tried myself, make sure you have logged out and in again, it might make a difference, it did when I renamed my Pictures Folder and when I changed it back I had to logout and in again to see the changes!

Still nothing. could it be the order in which I've edited the folder icons?

Would you mind explaining the order in which this should be done as I can do a time machine restore and start again with the symlinks if necessary.

I made my "Music" folder on my storage HD, then changed the folder icon to the folder with a music note in it, then created a symlink, then deleted the User directory "music" folder and dragged my symlink into the user directory..

Does the symlink need to be on the desktop when changing the folder icon before moving it to the user directory?

As I said before my sidebar preferences weren't visible in finder previously but now I moved it to the desktop using finder and dragged it back in it is now visible, could this make a difference?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Still nothing. could it be the order in which I've edited the folder icons?

Would you mind explaining the order in which this should be done as I can do a time machine restore and start again with the symlinks if necessary.

I made my "Music" folder on my storage HD, then changed the folder icon to the folder with a music note in it, then created a symlink, then deleted the User directory "music" folder and dragged my symlink into the user directory..

Does the symlink need to be on the desktop when changing the folder icon before moving it to the user directory?

As I said before my sidebar preferences weren't visible in finder previously but now I moved it to the desktop using finder and dragged it back in it is now visible, could this make a difference?

The Symlink Folders needs to be named exactly the same as before, so NOT Music_symlink but Music.

I don't see to much wrong with what you did, you could make a screenshot of the /Users/yourname folder so I can see if you did anything wrong.(Screenshot=Command-Shift-4)

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
The folders are named exactly as they were in the user directory, and all the symlink folders have the appropriate folder icons when you click "get info"

Maybe creating the symlinks in terminal behaves slightly differently? Or copying the user folders rather than creating new ones?

I'm using a fresh install of mountain lion and I hadn't edited anything in terminal prior to this.. Anything else I can try?

I'll upload screenshots of everything when I'm home

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The folders are named exactly as they were in the user directory, and all the symlink folders have the appropriate folder icons when you click "get info"

Maybe creating the symlinks in terminal behaves slightly differently? Or copying the user folders rather than creating new ones?

I'm using a fresh install of mountain lion and I hadn't edited anything in terminal prior to this.. Anything else I can try?

I'll upload screenshots of everything when I'm home

I will try again, delete the original, create a Music Folder on an external disk, make a symlink and move it to the Home Folders, I will update this post in 10-15 minutes.

Update: Sadly I can not get it to work either for now, I tried with a symlink but I also get a generic Folder Icon, if I paste the Music Icon onto the original Music Folder which I moved and relaunch the Finder I do get the Music Folder Icon but NOT the Music note you would normally see in the SideBar.

I will find out, but can't say when, I keep this Open for a while, if I find a solution I report back here in a reply to you.

Last edited:

oneinten

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
I will try again, delete the original, create a Music Folder on an external disk, make a symlink and move it to the Home Folders, I will update this post in 10-15 minutes.

Update: Sadly I can not get it to work either for now, I tried with a symlink but I also get a generic Folder Icon, if I paste the Music Icon onto the original Music Folder which I moved and relaunch the Finder I do get the Music Folder Icon but NOT the Music note you would normally see in the SideBar.

I will find out, but can't say when, I keep this Open for a while, if I find a solution I report back here in a reply to you.

Okay that would be great! Thanks for all your time and effort. It's not the end of the world but I'd like to find out how if possible.

At least I know yours is behaving the same and this isn't a sign that something is wrong! Is it worth repairing permissions or anything in the meantime?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
[/COLOR]
Okay that would be great! Thanks for all your time and effort. It's not the end of the world but I'd like to find out how if possible.

At least I know yours is behaving the same and this isn't a sign that something is wrong! Is it worth repairing permissions or anything in the meantime?

Well, I did find something out, the sideBar Icons are in:

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources

Look for SideBar..., there are quite a few there, but, they are in black and white while the Icons in the SideBar are blueish, something more is going on there, what I do not know.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.