Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I've been looking through the notes on Apple's website regarding the UK financing they offer (although quite a high APR) it seems rather simple. Although I'm wondering if anyone here who has purchased a new Mac through Apple finance would be willing to say what their credit is/was like when you applied?

I'm currently a Full-time University Student working a part-time job 20 hours per week. I've held a credit card for the last 7 months and have paid off my statement in full every month, paid my phone contract on time every month, normally not into my overdraft by more than 20%. Anybody have any idea on the chance of acceptance? I don't want to have a search done on my credit report for it to be a waste.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
I bought a Macbook Pro this way in December, at that time they were offering 0% APR for 10 months. The finance is actually through Barclays Partner Finance. Even though I have a spotless credit record, I only got a conditional acceptance. This delayed acceptance until they called me I was able to prove my identity.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I bought a Macbook Pro this way in December, at that time they were offering 0% APR for 10 months. The finance is actually through Barclays Partner Finance. Even though I have a spotless credit record, I only got a conditional acceptance. This delayed acceptance until they called me I was able to prove my identity.

You say you have a spotless credit record, care to give some examples of your previous credit, if that's ok with you? (E.g. How long you had cards, did you always pay off in full etc)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Why not just save up and buy without credit? This is always at 0% APR. When you calculate the small interest you will gain it looks even better.

Looks to me like you already spend 20% more than you earn each month.

I guess thats the joy of a have it now pay later culture we all live in.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Why not just save up and buy without credit? This is always at 0% APR. When you calculate the small interest you will gain it looks even better.

I guess thats the joy of a have it now pay later culture we all live in.

I agree. To the OP don't know if you know this. however you do get a reasonable nice discount because your a student too.

check out: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/education_routing

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Because I'll be paying it off within 6 months of payments anyway if I do get credit, maybe even earlier. (I'll be making a lump sum payment early of ~£1000, so I'll only actually have £500 of credit to pay off)
I meant that I've never been more than 20% into it and that's been in circumstances where I'm waiting for the next payday and I've bought something big, doesn't happen often.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The Apple page has the following as requirements
◾Over 18 years of age.
◾UK resident with at least 3 years' continual address history.
◾Full-time employment (unless retired) or with a spouse in full-time employment.
◾UK bank account capable of accepting Direct Debits.
◾Delivery to your home address in the UK (for online orders).

So I'd say you probably don't qualify unless you are married to someone who is working full time

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
The Apple page has the following as requirements
So I'd say you probably don't qualify unless you are married to someone who is working full time

The FAQ Page says this:
I am a full-time student. Can I apply for financing on the Apple Online Store?

Student applicants must be in permanent employment for at least 16 hours per week, or living with a spouse or civil partner who is in permanent employment for at least 16 hours per week.
I phoned up and asked about it and they confirmed that Students who have part time jobs over 16 hours are eligible. I'm mainly wondering from a credit rating point of view.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
The FAQ Page says this:

I phoned up and asked about it and they confirmed that Students who have part time jobs over 16 hours are eligible. I'm mainly wondering from a credit rating point of view.

My understanding is that the credit will be provided by Barclays or Barclay card.

Looking at barclays website:

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Creditcar...clandingpage=Personal:Homepage:P1242557947640

Your able to see what credit cards are available without affecting your credit rating. I know your not applying for a credit card. However as its the company apple will be using to give you finance. You will have a better idea if you will be given credit and approved for finance through that link.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It's done on an individual basis, and as said, is done through Barclays Partner Finance, which is actually a separate organisation to Barclays itself.

I wouldn't recommend using that checker tool. The small print on the next page says it leaves a "search" footprint. Searches are one of the criteria used to judge credit acceptance.

From experience (I've never applied, but I've setup agreements with them) BPF are quite tricky to get accepted for if you've moved house recently, or are not in full time employment. Being a student also increases the risk considerably.

Also, if you've had a credit card for 7 months, that's quite a recent application which will also work against you.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
It's done on an individual basis, and as said, is done through Barclays Partner Finance, which is actually a separate organisation to Barclays itself.

I wouldn't recommend using that checker tool. The small print on the next page says it leaves a "search" footprint. Searches are one of the criteria used to judge credit acceptance.

From experience (I've never applied, but I've setup agreements with them) BPF are quite tricky to get accepted for if you've moved house recently, or are not in full time employment. Being a student also increases the risk considerably.

Also, if you've had a credit card for 7 months, that's quite a recent application which will also work against you.

I noticed the footprint thing when I was looking at credit cards a while back, so avoided it and applied elsewhere. I've only had my credit card 7 months as I never required credit and simply applied for it to improve my credit rating.

If it's going to be a risk, I may just ask one of my parents to apply for it under their name and I'll pay them the money each month or something similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.