Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalecooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Hi
I have a 1TB WD my passport studio and I'm trying to copy a 2.5gb file to it and I keep getting the following errors:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “MVI_0051.MOV” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

and then this straight after

The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.
(Error code -43)

The HD is formatted to Mac (OS extended, journaled). I am using a macbook pro with 10.7.5 OS installed.

Thanks in advance!

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Question, is it a USB 3 external hard drive? Is your MBP one with USB 3 ports? I've had a few USB 2.0 Macs that seem to really hate USB 3 external disks, sometimes even out of the blue, they'll copy a few gigs worth of files then suddenly BAM, no data can be read or written.

dalecooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I'm actually using the drive with a firewire connection.

I did try cloning the file but got the following message:
CCC encountered media errors during the backup
Delete this file from the destination, then try the backup task again.

I'm guessing for some reason that file is just corrupt. Very strange as it opens fine in adobe premiere and quicktime!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I'm guessing for some reason that file is just corrupt. Very strange as it opens fine in adobe premiere and quicktime!"

Is a "mov" file "one file", or is it actually a "container" filled with several files?

To ascertain this, go to the finder.
Then, RIGHT-click on the un-copyable file.
Does a contextual menu appear with the option to "show contents"?
If it does, choose to "view the contents".
You may find a number of items "inside". If only one of them happens to have some corruption in it, this may prevent the entire "mov file" from being copied.

Simple solution:
Unless that mov file is particularly important to you, you can just delete it.

More complex solution:
If you find the file to be as I described above (i.e., comprised of several "internal files"), you might try "manually copying" each and every component individually. If you discover one file that can't be copied, ignore it.
Will the "copied file" still run without the bad internal file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.