Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I know I am late and what not at picking one of these up BUT I am a medical resident, and even though, yes I am a doctor…we residents do not get paid so its tough to stay ahead.

Anyway, any great apps designed for the iPhone 5 I should be getting etc…??

By the way, I am on an AT&T iPhone 5 32gb LTE.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Err... This is tough to answer. Is this your first ever smartphone? What sorts if things do you like to do on your phones? I can suggest a handful of apps that you may think are worthless simply because they don't interest you.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
There's this really great app Apple made called...the App Store.

In that magical app there are suggestions and recommendations that any new iPhone owner would like.

Also...also...

There is this marvellous thing called...Google.

You type into it something like;

Top iPhone 5 apps, and poof! Just like magic, list appears.

Richal

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
Browser the functions of iphone 5 like buttons, cameras,and other performances. Then you should sync the contents from your old phone like contracts, music files.After that, try to download some must-have apps.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I know I am late and what not at picking one of these up BUT I am a medical resident, and even though, yes I am a doctor…we residents do not get paid so its tough to stay ahead.

First off, congrats and good luck on your residency. You're in a demanding field that is only going to get tougher in the years to come and I applaud you for taking it on.

I really like media, so I always have the standard video apps installed (Netflix, Hulu+, HBO Go, and my personal favorite Plex which works phenomenally well with Airplay to my Apple TV). I find the Podcast app very useful and it keeps me up-to-date with Adam Carolla's network of shows, and I use iBooks for e-reading.

I use Splashtop pretty extensively to connect back to my computer at home to manage my...er, downloads. Find my iPhone is another useful app especially if you have multiple Apple devices, and Google Drive since I use that extensively on all my computers.

The myAT&T app is quite useful but I recommend turning off notifications because they can be obtrusive. I use my Chase banking app for depositing checks which is cool, and then the Starbucks app for loading my card up and buying coffee and stuff.

I'm not a big game player on my phone but my favorites are Words with Friends (zombiepete if you want to play a game), Zynga Poker, and Strategery.

Those are the ones I find useful. Outside of apps, a bumper would probably be a good idea for you being a resident during all those sleepless nights when you're more prone to dropping your phone. Hope that helps to get you started and again, good luck with your residency!

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
- Feedly if you read RSS
- Facebook
- Facebook Chat
- Banking App
- YouTube
- Camera+ if you want some more camera control and to add some effects to photos.
- Instagram - Like Camera+ but is also a very popular social network for photo sharing
- Pandora for music
- Skype - If you use Skype

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX

Epocrates
Medscape
there are some awesome anatomy apps but they are quite pricey

Budiosx

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
Tapatalk to browse forums in iphone screen.

Reeder best rss reader.

Mctube pro to download youtube videos in all qualities.

Whats app to chat with your friends by phone numbers.

Multi edit to connect your contacts with thier Facebook account and remove duplicates and merge contacts.

Documents is best free file manager.

Scanner mini is free document scanner.

Gplayer to play almost any video ,audio formats and movies with subtitles.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Sorry guys, just to clear things up…I have had every single iPhone made so yes I've had a smartphone before, haha.

Thank you to all who responded, and a special thanks to those who wished me well in my residency!!

To the few rude people, of course I know how to search for apps, but I was talking about apps that maybe DON'T show up in say the top 5 apps. Apps that people have found useful but may not yet be super popular!

Thanks again guys!!!

axesd

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
Sorry guys, just to clear things up…I have had every single iPhone made so yes I've had a smartphone before, haha.

Thank you to all who responded, and a special thanks to those who wished me well in my residency!!

To the few rude people, of course I know how to search for apps, but I was talking about apps that maybe DON'T show up in say the top 5 apps. Apps that people have found useful but may not yet be super popular!

Thanks again guys!!!

Wrapp - Send free coupons.
Shazam for finding unknown music
8tracks, music playlists
Camwow is nice
Lately I've been playing Candy Crush lol

There you go. If you find anything interesting, post it back up here k? I just got my iPhone as well and looking for awesome apps too

Monkeydo

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Hookt, Google Chrome and maps, Evernote, yelp especially the monocle feature, YouTube, wiki web, anything passbook related maybe of interest.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
....youve had every iteration of the iPhone and an iPad...what??

Yes sir, I have had the original iPhone through the iPhone 5. With the iPad I have had the original, the second, skipped the 3rd, and now have the 4th…all of them I had with 3G/LTE + WiFi.

----------

For people looking for Apps…

One App I LOVE is the Cards App by Apple. You can make awesome cards for whomever, and whatever. The cards are printed on high quality paper and look gorgeous, personally I think they are way better than any Hallmark card…just my opinion.

They have now updated the Card App with 35 Mother's Day themes so I will definitely be using that to create my mothers day card. For such high quality the price is low, I believe 2.99 and they do everything…print it and ship it. Usually takes about a week, so keep that in mind if you are going to send a card to someone and needs to be time specific.

I'd love to hear more from people...

Budiosx

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
Phone drive is a file manager with ability to send files between two iphones via bluetooth or wifi ,iphone and pc and iphone and cloud. 0.99$

Hamodi Alhaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
Nice

Nice choice, the IPhone 5 is the best , you are so lucky to have one . The app store is the place where you can download the apps . :)

Good luck !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.