Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Funny or Die's Steve Jobs movie "iSteve" was scheduled to premiere today on the humor site, but following today's bombing at the Boston Marathon the company has posted a banner announcing that it has delayed the movie's premiere until April 17.

istevedelay.png
The movie, which stars Justin Long as Jobs and Lost's Jorge Garcia as Steve Wozniak, is still having an in-theater premiere at the New Beverly Cinema tonight in Los Angeles.

tumblr_mlbrf7YW6n1qzpj8xo1_500.jpg
In addition to today's announcement regarding the "iSteve" delay, Funny or Die has linked to a statement from the American Red Cross about the Boston Marathon explosions, encouraging visitors to donate to the Boston Red Cross.

Article Link: Funny or Die's Steve Jobs Movie 'iSteve' Delayed Until April 17

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
it's such a fu--ed up thing that someone would try and hurt people intentionally. Funny or die is doing the right thing

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Some see this done out of respect. I see it done because of greed and money. The release would be overshadowed by news coverage of the unfortunate event in Boston and mean less attention and revenue generated for them.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
Some see this done out of respect. I see it done because of greed and money. The release would be overshadowed by news coverage of the unfortunate event in Boston and mean less attention and revenue generated for them.

I agree. Although I wouldn't say they're greedy; most, if not all, of their content is free. I do agree that they pulled it so that the news wouldn't overshadow the release of their movie.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan

Since you don't know why they did it, I think you should keep you own thoughts to yourself. If they hadn't postponed they would have been criticised too. Let's just assume they acted for the right reasons.

Notice I didn't try to get inside your head and announce to the world your true reasons for you posting as you did.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

Pretty sure the Boston Bombing will still be in the headlines in two days. :rolleyes:

macs4nw

macrumors 601

I agree. Although I wouldn't say they're greedy; most, if not all, of their content is free. I do agree that they pulled it so that the news wouldn't overshadow the release of their movie.

A bit too cynical a view for me. I choose to believe that they have a shred of decency in them not to offend people's sensibilities, and to realize that this premiere could wait a few days.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
it's such a fu--ed up thing that someone would try and hurt people intentionally. Funny or die is doing the right thing

Boston marathon explosion: two dead, at least another 77 injured. All hell breaks loose. Series of early morning explosions across cities in Iraq: 50 dead and nearly 300 wounded. Only a portion of people care or even know about it.
US bombs Afghan wedding: at least 30 killed and a total of at least 120 killed or wounded. Not much attention given here, eh?
I agree with this quote I found online. I care for all lives lost. Just just cause it's two or 120. It's so sad that people only care for deaths cause they are in the USA.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK

Whether or not they did this out of respect (I would like to believe they did), can you really blame them for looking for a bit more publicity? It is their job after all to get as many people to see this as they can.

As with any tragedy, however horrific; life must and does go on.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
How is this article related to iOS?

It is a movie about the guy who single-handedly invented the computer, and while iOS is a cellphone operating system, cellphones these days are sort of like crappy little computers.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Since you don't know why they did it, I think you should keep you own thoughts to yourself. If they hadn't postponed they would have been criticised too. Let's just assume they acted for the right reasons.

Notice I didn't try to get inside your head and announce to the world your true reasons for you posting as you did.

While I agree that it's generally best to assume the motives were good, if you don't like what he posted, you can just ignore it... He has the right to NOT keep his thoughts to himself, and you have the right to tell him otherwise

It really is fascinating how all you hear about on these forums is "Corporate greed", when the greediest people in the nation reside in congress.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Bombs going off in the Middle East is a daily occurrence. It almost never happens here. That's part of the difference.

The other difference is that the bombs went off mere blocks from several of the best hospitals in the world, and that medical personal and emergency vehicles were on sight when it occurred. That's why there's an injured toll well over 100 and a death toll of 3 - many of the 100+ would have died had the circumstances been otherwise, but as they were, they received immediate care, which is the most important thing in saving lives. It's why we have battlefield doctors - they significantly reduce mortality rates on the field of combat.

Having said all that, I don't feel this news item deserves as much attention as its getting, and I'm wondering if we're giving the terrorists the win on it. They only win if we're scared.

I see no problem with Funny or Die delaying this.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010

This is a top notch comment. Thumbs up.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

No, you didn't announce his "true reasons" for posting, but your idea of assuming things because you don't know something is troubling to my sensibilities...

In fact, as long as we are assuming things here— I have worked in both the entertainment and marketing biz, and I'm going to ”assume” that Battlefield Fan got it right the first time. ;)

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008

Your last line makes no sense? I stated that it was my own opinion. I didn't force it upon anyone or try to pass it off as fact.

You can read gatearrays post for my reply to your 'statement.'

Either way my heart goes out to everyone who was in Boston. I completed my first marathon two years ago and can't imagine such a thing happening at the end. I was dead tired.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I'll enjoy it whenever it comes out. Nice to have more humor.

----------

Free to the user, but still ad-sponsored

----------

Bombs going off in the Middle East is a daily occurrence. It almost never happens here. That's part of the difference.

The other difference is that the bombs went off mere blocks from several of the best hospitals in the world, and that medical personal and emergency vehicles were on sight when it occurred. That's why there's an injured toll well over 100 and a death toll of 3 - many of the 100+ would have died had the circumstances been otherwise, but as they were, they received immediate care, which is the most important thing in saving lives. It's why we have battlefield doctors - they significantly reduce mortality rates on the field of combat.

Having said all that, I don't feel this news item deserves as much attention as its getting, and I'm wondering if we're giving the terrorists the win on it. They only win if we're scared.

I see no problem with Funny or Die delaying this.

I go back and forth on this stuff. An event like this is clearly news, is very shocking, and is personal and relevant to a huge chunk of the population. But, I think it needs to come with a dose of self-awareness. As you say, this is a daily occurrence in other parts of the world (21 separate bombs in Iraq yesterday, leading up to their national election, wasn't it?), and Americans would do well to think about why we often treat that as expected.
The rhetoric that gets forced on the public in domestic events like these is so careful to talk about how this is an abnormal act of terrorism, involving innocent non-combatants. The implication can be that when it happens elsewhere it normal battlefield behavior involving people who are either willing or likely combatants.
I think it's all in the response. Kudos to the Red Sox for playing tonight.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

I suspect that they are planning to delay it anyway as part of the joke of the film is making fun of the other movies, one of which delayed its own release for reasons unknown.

But having that plan in the works it is nice that they added the link when they weren't forced to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.