Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook is bringing the new Chat Heads feature from Facebook Home to its iOS app, reports All Things D. The update to the iOS Facebook app should go live later today. It was previously reported that Facebook was in negotiations with Apple to bring 'Home' to iOS, but Facebook can bring some of the new features straight to its app, without extensive support from Apple.

NewImage5.png
The Verge got a hands-on preview of the new app:
Within the Facebook app, you can pop-out Chat Heads for your conversations, but they won't work anywhere else because of the way that iOS keeps apps sandboxed. Just as with Android, Chat Heads pop out on incoming Facebook Messages (but not for SMS), or you can open a new one directly yourself. You can drag them around to reposition them, and when they're open you have immediate access to your conversation on top of whatever you're doing on Facebook. On the iPad's larger screen, Facebook has decided to array them vertically on the left instead of horizontally across the top.
Facebook has implemented 'Stickers', which are large emoji-like images that can be sent to friends. There is also a new 'store' where users can download packs of stickers. The company has also redesigned its iPad app, streamlining and optimizing it for the iPad's larger screen size.

Update: Facebook 6.0 is now live in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Bringing Chat Heads to Its iOS Apps, Updated iPad Version With New Streamlined Design [Update: Live]

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Chat heads outside the app is a lot cooler; looks great on my Nexus. Maybe someone can do a jailbreak app for it.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Sandboxing is what keeps iOS secure, yet the bloggers turn this into a negative for iOS. Pathetic.

----------

Chat heads outside the app is a lot cooler; looks great on my Nexus. Maybe someone can do a jailbreak app for it.

Cool and also what allows malware to install onto your nexus from the Google Play store then transfer to your PC, record audio, and upload it to China.

Also while we'll never allow Android devices in our organization.

Last edited:

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009

I still don't get why I would want this more intrusive method over the notification system that's currently in use. Maybe change the icon so that it is a picture of a friend instead of the icon. But I want that change in the APIs throughout iOS so that apps can put a little graphic in the notifications. The whole chat head thing is just too intrusive.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Regarding iPad update, I was hoping for ability to hide messenger pane altogether. It looks even wider now.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
...and here I am, having just deleted my Facebook account.

I am ever so sad now.

(Just for the record, I bailed when Facebook hooked up with Axciom - I wasn't happy before, that just pushed me over the edge.)

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I don't like Facebook dominating my home screen!
This is already good for me!

Less Facebook, more time to be happy :)

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Cool and also what allows malware to install onto your nexus from the Google Play store then transfer to your PC, record audio, and upload it to China.

Also while we'll never all Android devices in our organization.
The obligatory ignorant-about-android post appears.... and in record time!

Michael

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
This was an appropriate way to bring it to iOS and I am thankful of Facebook for not trying to push it too hard onto an OS which wasn't going to accept it.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Hummm... Facebook or sharp poke in the eye???? OUCH! :p

Not a FB fan... but I do like the idea of Chat Heads. Slick.

However, I do believe the Apple approach is better in the long-run. Yes, more locked down, but less to worry about and no fragmentation like Android.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Sandboxing is what keeps iOS secure, yet the bloggers turn this into a negative for iOS. Pathetic.

----------

Also while we'll never all Android devices in our organization.

Here we go with all this malware talk. FYI: there are applications being developed around chat heads for Android. One that comes to mind is Ninja SMS. It took the idea of CH and developed an SMS app around it. And no, I would never use Facebook Messenger for my personal text messages. It's still a cool idea.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

Sandboxing doesn't make iOS more secure. Android has sandboxing as well. What keeps iOS more secure is App Store oversight which Google doesn't have along with the fact you can install apps outside the Play Store on Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.