Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Time Warner Cable is making 10 live television networks available for viewing out of the home on its iOS app, plus on demand TV shows and movies from 26 networks. Users can view Live TV from any Wi-Fi connection, and over Verizon 3G and 4G connections if they have Verizon.

TWC.jpg
Previously, Time Warner customers could watch hundreds of channels on their iOS devices in their home, but the live TV watcalign centere the home is new. Supported live channels include BBC America, Big Ten Network, Fox News Channel, Fox Business, and the Pac-12 Network, plus NY1 for New York City-based customers.
"We were the first provider to bring live television to the iPad in the home," said Mike Angus, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Video for Time Warner Cable. "Since then, we've increased the number of platforms and devices on which our customers can watch live television, and added thousands of hours of Video On Demand programming at no additional cost. The release of this TWC TV update is the next natural step towards our goal of giving customers even more of the content they love on every screen."
Time Warner Cable and Viacom were previously engaged in a lawsuit over TWC's online streaming of Viacom channels to its customers, but it was settled more than a year ago.

The TWC TV app should be updated with the new streaming tomorrow. It is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Time Warner Cable Brings Live TV Streaming On the Go to iOS

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Aren't they already putting everything on Roku?

Man, where is Charter in all this? If I could use a tiny Roku or my iPad for all my TV, I wouldn't need to worry about one of those stupid 50 LB converter boxes that Charter generously charges me each month to use.

tthip

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Aren't they already putting everything on Roku?

Man, where is Charter in all this? If I could use a tiny Roku or my iPad for all my TV, I wouldn't need to worry about one of those stupid 50 LB converter boxes that Charter generously charges me each month to use.
TWC still charges you the fee for the 50 LB converter box even if you do not have one and choose to use the Roku.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I've been using EyeTV hybrid on my Mac Pro for years. Screw in a cable and I get 99 channels plus local HD channels. When I moved to Boston, Comcast "scrambled" all the jacks claiming it was due to the digital conversion and required a DTA, which negated use of my EyeTV's DVR recording. Such b.s. from these companies. Time Warner is now slowly requiring DTA's for jacks that don't have a cable box. Many have used unscrambling devices to prove it's not a "digital" issue, but cable companies charing $2-3 for each TV, which adds up to millions in extra fees for non-techie consumers who would know better.

This streaming app seems more news oriented than anything. What about CBS, NBC, ABC, TNT, USA - networks consumers actually watch? Big yawn.

xmaseve

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
What's with limiting this to Verizon? Comcast does the same thing and its ridiculous!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It is my understanding this is for TW customers only. I want to see an unbundled internet only offering of channels that benefit from live broadcast such as financial and news channels. I would like to see an unbundled internet version of HBO as well.

Rocketman

Wouldn't we all? But it's probably never going to happen. Even less likely is unbundled sports networks. Even if the cable providers wanted to radically alter the current model (and for the most part, they are protecting the status quo), we can see the obstacles they face whenever they make even small alterations to the methods of supplying programming to subscribers.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Most of the channels are kind of crummy, BUT I give TWC some serious props for doing this, and it shows that they understand this is where things are going.

Also, as the first company to do this, others will probably soon follow, and if the experiment goes well, more channels will be added, and there will be increasing pressure on the others to play ball.

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
It seems more than absurd that the use over cellular connection functionality is limited to Verizon only. Why can't AT&T/Sprint/T-mobile users view content? That's ridiculous. I'm so glad DIRECTV doesn't do that.

----------

Also, as the first company to do this, others will probably soon follow, and if the experiment goes well, more channels will be added, and there will be increasing pressure on the others to play ball.
TWC is far from the first, DIRECTV has let you do this for a while now. The number of networks isn't great (Audience Network, AXS.tv, Sony Movie Channel, ShortsHD, and Bein Sport) but TWC was not the first.

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
1 day too late

actually was complaining about this lack of access yesterday as i was scrambling to watch live coverage of the events in boston. The only app that came through on my iPad was espn's watch-now, and fortunately they were doing around the clock coverage as well.

Free TV channels should be able to stream their live broadcasts from their own dedicated apps. This shouldn't require TWC login info.

S G

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Not working yet

I have TimeWarnerCable digital service, and I am in New York. However, this is not working yet, I still get a message saying "Live TV Unavailable - To watch Live TV, you must be connected to your home network."

scy

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
California
Time Warner-YAWN

as a prisoner of Time-Warner, a big yawn.. lousy service, lousy inconsistent reception, market services they know very little about (home security, hotspots) get away with suddenly stopping services they previously offered, but if a customer does that it's breach of contract.

Watching on your iphone /ipad in your own home is not consistent-- no reason to think outside your home will be any different

They raise prices without adequate reason and notice-- and is the reason a huge amount of the San Diego population of baseball fans cannot see the home team on TV. Mayor calls for boycott... some of us can't switch.. so, unasked for advice: don't switch to TWC unless absolutely necessary. While their techies are consistently great in my experience, that's about it. The company and service sucks.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
actually was complaining about this lack of access yesterday as i was scrambling to watch live coverage of the events in boston.
The BloombergTV+ app worked perfectly. Within seconds of making the mental connection, I had it downloaded and streaming live news video.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Now if it was possible to get TWC instead of Charter shït Communication for a cable company in my area. Charter Communication a cable company that has no innovation technology, they are still living in the 90s still dwelling on Analog cable instead of Digital and HD, who really cares if some people want to live in the past? Lets move on you will have only a few customer loss not in millions.:mad:

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
The BloombergTV+ app worked perfectly. Within seconds of making the mental connection, I had it downloaded and streaming live news video.

I forgot about the Bloomberg app. I watched it through the ABC News app. They go live often when there are important news.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
Now if it was possible to get TWC instead of Charter shït Communication for a cable company in my area. Charter Communication a cable company that has no innovation technology, they are still living in the 90s still dwelling on Analog cable instead of Digital and HD, who really cares if some people want to live in the past? Lets move on you will have only a few customer loss not in millions.:mad:

Agree. I got fed up with Charter and dumped them for Direct. Much happier; the dvr acts as a slingbox so I can watch anywhere I am, also I can program the dvr from my iPhone or iPad.

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
The reason you have to have Verizon if you want to watch via a 3G/4G LTE connection is because TWC and VZW are "premier partners." They offer a whole bundle thingy and other crap too.

That, and VZW likely forced them to only support them for cellular.

As far as channels, go -- pretty bland. But, what's this? BBC America on-the-go? WOOHOO! Now I can watch Top Gear while I'm at the dentist's office, or at the car dealership waiting for my Grand Cherokee's heater box to be replaced for the fifth time! :D

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Sounds nice....

and like more and more providers want/need to get a piece of the cake that iOS can bring them.

As consumer, anyways, I welcome more content providers. I thinl, the more, the merrier.....(provided the right safeguards for consumers, providers and any party involved).

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.