Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a series of updates for both Safari and Java, addressing continued issues with Java security.

The Safari updates arrive as version 6.0.4 for OS X Mountain Lion and Lion and version 5.1.9 for OS X Snow Leopard. The updates, which can be obtained through the Software Update mechanism in OS X, add new site-specific options for enabling the Java plug-in.
Safari 6.0.4 and 5.1.9 allow you to enable the Java web plug-in on a website-by-website basis, with four settings to choose from.
Full details on how to use the site-specific options are available in an associated support document.

safari_6_0_4_java_options.jpg
Alongside today's Safari update, Apple has also released updated versions of Java 6. They arrive as Java for OS X 2013-003 for OS X Mountain Lion and Lion users and Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 15 for OS X Snow Leopard users. The updates bring the Apple-provided Java 6 up to the latest Update 45 version of the software from Oracle, which released the update for other platforms earlier today. Java 7 updates are now handled by Oracle directly, and users should update through Oracle's site.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari and Java Updates With Plug-In and Security Improvements

zombiecakes

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
disabled that crap in Chrome and have yet to notice, java's only feature is to give you a virus

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
A white list is the perfect way to manage Java usage for those that do need in for certain websites. Nice one.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
I'm confused... I remember Apple removing Java entirely and I thought they just left it to Oracle to distribute it. I downloaded java from Oracle directly. So what is this and wtf is going on? :confused:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The updates bring the Apple-provided Java 6 up to the latest Update 45 version of the software from Oracle, which released the update for other platforms earlier today. Java 7 updates are now handled by Oracle directly, and users should update through Oracle's site.
So, who is handling Java updates now? Does Oracle write the actual code of the updates and hands them over to Apple, such that they can be distributed faster and more widely than relying on people to go to Oracle' site and download it from there.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm confused... I remember Apple removing Java entirely and I thought they just left it to Oracle to distribute it. I downloaded java from Oracle directly. So what is this and wtf is going on? :confused:

I was under the impression that they simply stopping having it installed by default. I can still download it via an installer in OS X if I want.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
This is probably a newb question, but... Should I run Java 6 or Java 7?

Java 6 is a little easier to install and maintain, since Apple does almost everything for you and configures everything appropriately. Java 7 is necessary if you have an application that requires it, and I suspect Oracle will keep it more up-to-date going forward than Apple will with 6, but this is hard to predict. Java is generally backward compatible, so if you're comfortable with 7, there are few compelling reasons not to use it instead. But until you need to, there's no compelling reason to upgrade, either.

(By "configures everything appropriately," I mean, among other things, making it so that if you type java at at command line, it will actually run the Java interpreter, assuming, of course, that you pass appropriate arguments. Oracle's Java 7 JRE does not do this unless you install the full JDK, which most people don't need. Many apps will work regardless, though it can depend on how they were "packaged" for OS X.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.