Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben S

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
I have both (personally purchased 3rd gen iPad and a work purchased iPad mini). I far prefer the mini -- it's the "right" size for a tablet as far as I'm concerned, but then I don't watch much video. If I did I would probably prefer the full-size iPad.

The biggest factor is the weight. The mini can be held comfortably in one hand for an extended period; the full-size retina iPads are too heavy for that. If the 5th gen iPad is lighter, it might be a bit more of a toss-up. The only thing I like better about the full-size iPad is the retina display: when Apple launches the retina mini, assuming it doesn't affect the weight or battery life too much, it will be a no-brainer upgrade.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I have an iPad 2 and mini and much prefer the mini by far.

Size, weight, portability and features are superb for the price.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I have an iPad 3 and a Mini and I definitely prefer the Mini for the obvious reasons.

If the iPad 5 is as thin and light as the rumors suggest, i'd definitely jump back on the full-size iPad train.

iOZZY

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stamford, England
I have an iPad mini and iPad 4 and prefer the mini form factor over the iPad 4 but the retina screen is so much better. If the next mini is retina I'll consolidate to just one unit.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
I have both and prefer the iPad Mini due to its form factor. I will bring the Mini along with me when I go to Vegas and California this summer.

wjereb

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2012
I have both but I would have never bought the Mini since I had the iPad 3. But my company gave Mini's out as an end of the year bonus. I don't really have a preference but I do like the weight factor. I don't travel a lot but when I do I take the Mini and leave the iPad home. The same reason I prefer my Macbook Air over the Pro.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have a 3 and a mini. I like the bigger screen size of the 3, I find that it makes it easier to not mistap the wrong touch targets. Plus, websites are easier to view on a larger screen. I do like how light and portable the mini is. But if the iPad 5 comes with a significant reduction in weight, as rumored, I doubt I'll get another mini.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
I had an iPad 3 and a Mini for a while, both great although I kept the Mini because it was newer.

Admittedly I do regret doing this slightly, as with continued use I do miss my full sized iPad for use at home. The larger higher quality screen is simply easier on the eyes. The Mini is much better for use on the move though, although I've found myself needing to take it to work less and less since getting a Galaxy Note 2. I'll most likely get an iPad 5 for home use, and use the Note 2 is some weird phone, tablet, ereader replacement for work/commuting.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
I have an ipad 3 which is used with a Logitech keyboard cover, for days when I don't need the full power of my MacBook.

The mini is my tablet for gaming, browsing, music, etc..

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
I have an ipad 2 and a mini. When my wife got me the mini for Christmas, I gave my 13 year old daughter the ipad 2. Last week, clumsy me, tipped the mini off a counter and it landed flat on the rug, screen down. Poof! Shattered screen. Oh well, called everywhere locally and no one will change the mini screen. :mad:
I won't jack the ipad 2 back from my daughter,so I only use my iphone 5 and iMAC. Miss my mini, but I can't afford to buy another one just yet.

I prefer the mini. Much lighter and easier to hold.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I have the 3 and a Mini. After using it for 5 months now, I have to say I use the Mini most of the time. If my battery is down or I want to watch a movie I grab the the 3 instead. I love the smaller form factor and retina is not an issue for me. I don't plan to upgrade for a few years at least. Initially I was going to sell my 3 and keep just the Mini. However my 3 was only 7 months old and prices kept dropping so I ended keeping them both.

Hopefully my next upgrade will have 2 gigs of ram in it whether its a full size or a Mini. For me to consider another full size, they need to make it look like the Mini and they need to lighten it up. And I'm hoping they build more functions into iOS itself.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I have an ipad 2 and a mini. When my wife got me the mini for Christmas, I gave my 13 year old daughter the ipad 2. Last week, clumsy me, tipped the mini off a counter and it landed flat on the rug, screen down. Poof! Shattered screen. Oh well, called everywhere locally and no one will change the mini screen. :mad:
I won't jack the ipad 2 back from my daughter,so I only use my iphone 5 and iMAC. Miss my mini, but I can't afford to buy another one just yet.

I prefer the mini. Much lighter and easier to hold.

Have you considered the out-of-warranty replacement from the apple store?

Macuser1066

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
I have both the iPad 4 and the Mini. I love the Mini, but bought it with WiFi only. I don't have available WiFi except at home and a few places outside. Since I spend a lot of time in the car, the LTE is much more util for me. I will be buying the new MINI with LTE as soon as it is out. I love the form factor and with severe arthritis in my wrist, the weight is a factor for me.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
got an ipad 3 (retina) and a mini. mini goes everywhere i go and the ipad 3 stays at home for normal use instead of my laptop.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
iPad 3, iPad Mini here.... I use the Mini most of the time but when she is on the charger I reach for the iP3.... Eventually when the next generation of the iPad Mini comes out I probably will be selling off the iPad 3 and going strictly Mini here...... It just works so much more comfortably for what I do and where I do it.

madgibbon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2013
I have a iPad 4 and mini. I used the mini exclusively since I bought it a few months back, great weight and form factor. The other day I fired up the iPad 4 and realised how much I missed the large Retina display, faster performance and extra memory (Safari doesn't keep reloading tabs) but I does feel very heavy.

I've since reset the mini and passed it on to my wife. I'm hoping either the iPad 5 will be lighter with the thinner surround like the mini or the iPad 4 (or better) innards and screen are squashed into a mini case :D

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I do. But since getting the mini, and switching over my unlimited AT&T data plan over to it from my original ipad...I haven't really used the larger one. The mini is just so portable. I thought I might use the regular sized ipad with its larger screen at home more...but the truth is I don't. So I'm gonna give it to my bro.

It'll be interesting to see how thin the ipad 5 will be...but even if the rumors are true, and they make it super thin and light...I still think I will stick with the mini. It's just the perfect size for me. Even without retina...the screen looks great, so I won't jump at upgrading if the next mini gets retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.