Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
I get about 1 to 3 mps for Download and about 2 for upload in Prospect heights with my android phone. Since I just recently googled and now know what the speed test means, plus just done a few tests with two different apps I want to know what to expect from either carrier I chose, so all iPhones from all carriers please post your speeds please including model, carrier and location in NYC.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
Here's the speeds I'm getting on at&t in Bklyn

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 116

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
Holy crap is your iPhone drinking red bull?! Is that the speeds you average everywhere?!!

Those are the speeds I usually see in downtown Brooklyn in areas like Dumbo and Williamsburg. In other areas like Sheepshead Bay and Bay Ridge I usually see anywhere from around 15-25Mbps.

Yea at&t's LTE is pretty fast in my area, I still see some dropped calls every now and then, especially when driving on the BQE and passing the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, but as far as data...Things ar pretty speedy.

I would have to wait for Tmobile to really roll out LTE down here if I was going to switch...I wouldn't be able to be on just HSPA+, got the need for speed...lol

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Those are the speeds I usually see in downtown Brooklyn in areas like Dumbo and Williamsburg. In other areas like Sheepshead Bay and Bay Ridge I usually see anywhere from around 15-25Mbps.

Yea at&t's LTE is pretty fast in my area, I still see some dropped calls every now and then, especially when driving on the BQE and passing the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, but as far as data...Things ar pretty speedy.

I would have to wait for Tmobile to really roll out LTE down here if I was going to switch...I wouldn't be able to be on just HSPA+, got the need for speed...lol
What's your minimum requirement speed?

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
I'm still amazed at those speeds! I think if I had Tmobile or a snail with a phone on it's back I'd be alright. With my little 3 MPS I get anything else is fast. I got like 16 on wifi and that's the highest I ever experience.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
What's your minimum requirement speed?

I'm really not one for saying I need a minimun, however I do watch alot of videos and surf the web when I'm not near wifi in my office or at home...

I was one of the first people to jump on vzw's LTE network when the Thunderbolt was released a few years back, and ever since then I've been extremely spoiled. I HSPA on at&t last year for the iphone 4s, and even more recently Tmobile's HSPA+ for the nexus 4, and while not terrible, it was just such a difference compared to the speeds I'm seeing now with at&t's LTE network.

With it being 2013 and LTE getting more wide spread by the day, I just don't see myself going backwards and using HSPA or HSPA+ as primary source for data speeds when LTE is available to me right now. When Tmobile rolls out LTE in NYC, I will 100% give it a whirl.

----------

I'm still amazed at those speeds! I think if I had Tmobile or a snail with a phone on it's back I'd be alright. With my little 3 MPS I get anything else is fast. I got like 16 on wifi and that's the highest I ever experience.

I have Verizon Quantum for wifi in my office and home and those speeds are up in the :eek: 50Mbps bracket on a daily basis.

So to be getting upwards of 40Mbps and better on at&t's LTE network it makes no sense for me to even consider going anywhere else right now.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
You are so right. With those speeds I wouldn't go anywhere.
Att question: can upgrade early, and is it 250 extra? I asked on here but didnt get an Answer.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
You guys keep quoting speeds but add price to the equation and it is not a no brainer.

New plan to new plan for the single line person who doesnt live in the boondocks tmobile is significantly cheaper than AT&T and Verizon. A big enough savings to deal with 4g for the time being in my city.

I was paying over one forty a month for 6gb on v. Tmobile truly unlimited is HALF off. I listen to a lot of podcasts and stream music which sucks a lot of juice.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I have a Verizon iPhone and LTE ipad in NYC.
I get the same super fast results with AT&T about 95% of the time, with excellent indoor coverage. Even in the middle of Times Square.

My Verizon iPhone is useless 99% of the time that I actually need to use it. Terrible indoor LTE coverage and when it actually works outdoors the speeds are no more than 5 Mbps. 5 Mbps when I'm lucky

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I get the same super fast results with AT&T about 95% of the time, with excellent indoor coverage. Even in the middle of Times Square.

My Verizon iPhone is useless 99% of the time that I actually need to use it. Terrible indoor LTE coverage and when it actually works outdoors the speeds are no more than 5 Mbps. 5 Mbps when I'm lucky

What would be the cause of this? I remember for the longest time it was the complete opposite.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

Try tmobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 96

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.

So both your devices are VZW? Im confused. Your iphone is the slow one and your Ipad is great both indoor and out? Im thinking of getting a data ipad with verizon or whoever is faster.

Murgatroyd

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
Staten Island, New Yawk
Washington Heights, New York

Changing the server to Optimum Online based in New York City brought similar results.

FYI, The FCC, in collaboration with U.S. mobile carriers and other industry stakeholders, is releasing a mobile app designed to help accurately measure U.S. mobile broadband performance. Interested Android mobile users can sign up below to receive an email when the FCC Measuring Broadband America mobile app is available.

http://www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadband-america-mobile-app

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    875.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Jay7872

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Here's the speed I am seeing in the Bronx, NY, near Fordham road. The very top Is LTE while the second from top is HSPA+

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 89

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
So both your devices are VZW? Im confused. Your iphone is the slow one and your Ipad is great both indoor and out? Im thinking of getting a data ipad with verizon or whoever is faster.

verizon iphone
att ipad

JoJoCal19 said:
What would be the cause of this? I remember for the longest time it was the complete opposite.

I couldnt agree more. Very odd and unexpected. Verizon is new to GSM maybe that explains the crappy service

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Don't have time to post the pic but I'm getting 33.42 down 11.60 up and 57 ms Ping with verizon LTE in Brooklyn.

so do you think that a VZW ipad would suck? I'm looking to get a data ipad.

I have one and I have no problems with it. ATT seems to have stepped up their game in NY were it used to be unusable. Both networks should be pretty robust now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.