Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
do the same with osx. install os on imac coreduo and put hdd into latest one. it will fail the same as windows.

no access to iMac, but did that 3 times on an old intel core/newest i7 mac mini, worked 100% of the time.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
If the device is compatible with Windows 7, and in order to make it work is to format/reinstall Windows, then it's a stability issue, which I've encountered many times.

I've been around windows for many many years, I know many people who have been around windows for many many years. Neither I nor anyone I know has encountered this issue once, much less many times. You either don't know what you're doing or you're making stuff up.

Maybe you're right and the blame shouldn't be put on 3rd party vendors, but the end user instead.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Sounds like an issue with your specific system, not windows. Since you did mention gaming, I suppose you're correct that you don't have to worry about this particular issue on a mac ;)

That's true, I use the mac for productive work, while the windows PC is like an Xbox with notepad.

So it's my "specific system". Good to know....

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I've been around windows for many many years, I know many people who have been around windows for many many years. Neither I nor anyone I know has encountered this issue once, much less many times. You either don't know what you're doing or you're making stuff up.

Maybe you're right and the blame shouldn't be put on 3rd party vendors, but the end user instead.

So using your logic:
I've been around the beach for many many years, I know many people who have been around beaches for many years. Neither I nor anyone I know has encountered a jelly fish sting once, much less many times. Victims of a jelly fish sting either do not know what they're doing or they're making stuff up. That's gotta be it...RIGHT?

...smug alert.

Anyways, I'm done reading anymore comments in this thread.

Last edited:

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Try sticking the HD into a new computer, boot (which tries to repair itself), remove it from the new computer and put it back into the original computer. You'll find that it no longer boots on either computer. That's a huge stability issue.

Again, the exact same thing can happen to any system. Hell Linux actually has issues with how it handles hard drives and I encountered it a couple months ago.

I can and HAVE done basically the same thing before on a Mac. Guess what? Didn't boot.

I love OSX and believe it is a really good Operating System. But seriously the Windows misconception is going too far. Nowadays Windows is just as stable as OSX. For every "stability" you can name on Windows, I or someone else here can easily give examples of the same thing happening on OSX or even some other OS! Their is no perfect OS and yes Windows does have its issues but OSX also has its issues that is absolutely struggles with that Windows machines now do better.

Zaphodsplanet

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Texas
If Dullards at MS are so quickly interested

The Product idea will bomb!!!

Quite frankly, the whole idea of this seems only about 20% less lame than Google Glass.... which in my humble opinion, is as revealing about a user as having "douche bag" tattooed on your stinking forehead.

I'd rather dump money on a nice Oris watch.... than wear the 2013 version of the 1980's calculator watch. Just seems lame and as thou the industry as a whole has lost a bit of direction. This is what happens when you start thinking Facebook is a great way to invest your time; never quite getting that nobody cares where you're going next week, or how much beer you can drink.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Casio touch screen watch in 1983 . And they had multiple models. And it was water resist and touch screen in 1983 ! On a watch !

They also had around that time a talking watch with human voice. And the voice would not only tell time, but announced you had n minutes till the timer is up and other functions.

c572ffc47ff52a8ff9f39da0704a4e49-orig

tc600a.png

meilensteine_vdb1000.jpg

Last edited:

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
<translation>You guys are all poopy heads because you won't mindlessly bash MS with me. I'm taking my toys and leaving!</translation>

I'll slam MS, Apple, whomever, if there is a legitimate reason.
Your reasoning is flawed.
You will have issues with any OS if you wholesale change the hardware it was originally configured to run under.
It is always good form to rerun the setup process when making major hardware changes.

As for the topic, MS made software for smartwatches before (SPOT), so it's hard to copy and idea from another company when they have already done it themselves.
Apple hasn't made anything, so you cannot copy what doesn't exist.

Heck, the Fossil Abacus ran full blown Palm OS back in 2003.
Huge watch, but still pretty cool back then.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
So using your logic:
I've been around the beach for many many years, I know many people who have been around beaches for many years. Neither I nor anyone I know has encountered a jelly fish sting once, much less many times. Victims of a jelly fish sting either do not know what they're doing or they're making stuff up. That's gotta be it...RIGHT?

...smug alert.

No, not they, just you after reading your utter nonsensical posts in this thread. They probably exist in other threads too, luckily I have not bee subjected to them.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Man this whole watch thing(including apple) is a stupid idea.

If you want to stay a virgin get one of these smart watches..... and Google eye glasses.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That's because Microsoft is playing boot-up tricks to make it seem like it's faster when it's not.

It doesn't? So when I click the power button on my Macbook Air, switch to Windows 8, and let it boot... the fact that it takes a smaller amount of time doesn't mean it boots faster?

Interesting.

Macintosh-HD

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Watches aren't as popular as they one were a time back. I don't get either why everyone is jumping on the smartwatch bandwagon :confused:

Most everyone nowadays just checks their phone for the time...

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
That's because Microsoft is playing boot-up tricks to make it seem like it's faster when it's not.
You're thinking of the garbage MS pulled on XP/Vista/W7 where you would get to a login screen fast, but it still took forever and a week to actually be able to do something. Granted Win 7 was better, bit still had the a post login lag.

Win 8 is ready to rock the instant you see the login screen. What ever needs to be loaded is there before you log in, not after like previous Win versions.
No tricks, just eliminated the unnecessary bloat.
My old Dell Vostro 400 (using it now) boots in less than 20 seconds and is ready the moment I log in.

As you can see by the screen shot, it is no beast by any means.

Attachments

• sysinfo.jpg
    sysinfo.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 65
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.