Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi,

I'm looking to use my external hard drive connected to my Mac Mini as a Time Capsule? I want to backup both the Mac Mini AND my Macbook Pro (via Wifi) to this external drive.

How do I make it work? What do I enable on the Mac mini for the Macbook to find the external drive over the wifi? All guides are so confusing. Do I need to have an Airport router for this, or will it work over wifi on any router?

Thanks!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi,

I'm looking to use my external hard drive connected to my Mac Mini as a Time Capsule? I want to backup both the Mac Mini AND my Macbook Pro (via Wifi) to this external drive.

How do I make it work? What do I enable on the Mac mini for the Macbook to find the external drive over the wifi? All guides are so confusing. Do I need to have an Airport router for this, or will it work over wifi on any router?

Thanks!

Open Sharing in System Preferences on the Mini, then check the File Sharing box, n the right pane add the external to Shared Folders and Add the User on the MBP as Read/Write.
That's it, you should be able to see the Shared drive on the MBP and use it as a backup drive.

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Open Sharing in System Preferences on the Mini, then check the File Sharing box, n the right pane add the external to Shared Folders and Add the User on the MBP as Read/Write.
That's it, you should be able to see the Shared drive on the MBP and use it as a backup drive.
Ooh, that sounds great. :) Weither I have an Airport or another router shouldn't matter, right?

Also, there shouldn't be a higher incidence in corrupted data and such with this solution? I've heard that the only thing guaranteed to work safely is a Time Capsule, but perhaps that's just propaganda?

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I am doing the same thing, but to make the time machine reliable and bulletproof. I installed server on the mini, before server the back up would fail or take for ever to finish. No problem what so ever after installing server.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Ooh, that sounds great. :) Weither I have an Airport or another router shouldn't matter, right?

Also, there shouldn't be a higher incidence in corrupted data and such with this solution? I've heard that the only thing guaranteed to work safely is a Time Capsule, but perhaps that's just propaganda?

Nothing will be failsafe, the best solution is physically connected but even then it is never 100% but better than wireless.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Im doing the same thing too. Are there any potential problems in using the same external hard drive for time machining two macs?

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
No issues here

Im doing the same thing too. Are there any potential problems in using the same external hard drive for time machining two macs?

I have a external 2gb drive currently backing up two MacBook pros and the mini server. Running 9 months with out issue.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina

Aside from having all your eggs in one basket, no. Time Machine will keep backups from different Macs separated on the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.