Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In 2011, Apple announced a worldwide repair program for MacBooks with a defective bottom case, which caused the rubber surface to separate from the hard plastic casing.

The program originally stated that Apple would replace the bottom case of any affected MacBook for two years from the date of purchase, but the company recently extended the replacement period to four years from the original date of purchase.

macbook_rubber_bottom_case.jpg
Apple has determined that under certain circumstances the rubber surface on some MacBooks may separate from the bottom case of the system. MacBooks shipped between October 2009 and April 2011 may experience this issue.

Apple will replace the bottom case of any affected MacBook, free of charge, that exhibits the issue.

This program covers affected MacBooks for four years from original purchase date. Apple will continue to evaluate the service data and will provide further extensions to this program as needed.
Apple is offering several different repair options, which include visiting an Apple Retail Store, an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or ordering a replacement kit online.

Article Link: Apple Extends Repair Program for MacBook Bottom Case Defects

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
people still use these dinosaurs

People don't have thousands of pounds to drop on a new computer each year. Old MacBooks running Snow Leopard have no problems with light browsing/word processing, etc.. Not all people need the latest and greatest; some are simply satisfied with what they have! :)

64Mario64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013

You are correct. 2006 MacBook FTW.

----------

Meanwhile, every single brand new Dell laptop at our school has peeling metallic paint (since it's not real metal on the edges) and every rubber foot missing. No replacement or repair program. And they boot up more slowly than the aforementioned MacBook, especially when they have to ask the user about something random like "Do you want to erase the system restore? (will select in 30 seconds)".

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
How about the rubber feet on new MacBooks and MacBook Pro's? They are just glued there, and have all fallen off for me. Not exactly good design.

hattrick12

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
What MacBook is that with an Apple logo on the bottom? I have a 2007 one, and it is plain on the bottom. Maybe I'm just missing something.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Is this related to the clicking sound in my 2011 MacBook Pro, or is that something else?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Now if Apple would just acknowledge the cracked plastic body on these models. One of my good friends has a white unibody macbook and the whole thing has cracks all over it. Pretty pathetic.

I tried taking it into the Boylston Street store and asked and they want to charge me, even though I've tried to reason with them that I'm quite the loyal Apple customer

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Fortunately, my wife's 2007 Macbook is still going strong (not affected by this recall). The case is a little beaten up, but it's holding together. A year ago it seemed like it wasn't going to make it but I spent about $120 on a RAM upgrade to 2GB and faster Hard Drive (7200 RPM), and it got new life. Here's to another 6 months - 1 year, and this may be one of the longest lived laptops we've ever owned!

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Dinosaurs have been extinct for about 66 million years. These computers shipped 25 months ago. So let me bring you up to date with a general timeline

|---------------------------------|---------------------------|
God or something_______Dinosaurs die__________MacBooks Sold
_____________________________________________MacBooks Repaired

Give or take one or two -

iamsophie

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Australia
I've got one of these from 2009, and since it was a hand me down, it had two hairline cracks in the hinge, there was a massive crack where the ethernet connecter was, the rubber was coming off and the trackpad was stuck due to grease and dirt getting underneath (I assume they ate?)
Apple (who I love anyway) were fantastic in that when we took my Macbook into NextByte they replaced nearly everything, so it looked nearly new. I believe that they didn't only put a bezel on, but a new screen too. The rubber was replaced, and since 2010 hasn't come off. The trackpad is all good, the only thing they didn't replace, was considering the size of the crack it's understandable.

Yes, people do still use this "dinosaurs". Mine does light gaming (Minecraft) absolutely fine :) My dad's 2006 black MB is still going strong too (and Apple even replaced the hard drive under warranty when it failed!)

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA

LOL, my wife still uses one of these for daily work, and frankly still has no reason to replace it! Same goes for me and my "Mid 2007 iMac". Honestly, unless your gaming on the thing, which she doesn't, this Macbook has a few good years left in it! (Have better things to spend money on than a new comp every few years). :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.