Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lanny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
I have read other threads but none recent or resolving the serious problem of the iPad screen brightness level at the lowest level being harmful to the eyes when used in night/dark. The available apple dimmers and browser dimmers do not resolve the problem for those of us who want to use our iPads into the night for games and other activities. I wonder if any tech/app designer could come up with something - I don't want to jailbreak for the Cydia app.

RadDave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
North Carolina
Hi Lanny - also own an iPad 2 and the range for brightness control seems to be fairly broad although I've not really experimented in a darken room - are you sure that your brightness control is working properly? You might want to compare w/ another iPad, if available - also, if not done, Reset the device. If still an issue, a visit to an Apple Store may be helpful?

Finally, if your brightness control seems to be functioning, you might want to try a screen protector w/ anti-glare property (or one w/ some opaqueness like sunglasses) - BUT, good luck and let us know your solution - :)

lanny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Thanks to RadDave

Thanks for the ideas. I think the ultimate solution will require an app that allows brightness level dimming below factory settings. Cydia apparently has one but you must jailbreak to obtain that one. So far, all Apple apps go no lower than the settings already provided. The problem isn't glare but is the powerful emission of light when used in a darkened room, for example, when someone else is asleep. It feels as though it could burn your retinas. But again, thanks for your response!

ikev85

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2012
Ever since the iPad 1 came out I wish the brightness could go one or two notches lower.

Perhaps try one of those screen filters?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for the ideas. I think the ultimate solution will require an app that allows brightness level dimming below factory settings. Cydia apparently has one but you must jailbreak to obtain that one. So far, all Apple apps go no lower than the settings already provided. The problem isn't glare but is the powerful emission of light when used in a darkened room, for example, when someone else is asleep. It feels as though it could burn your retinas. But again, thanks for your response!

ALWAYS try jailbreaking whenever possible - don't listen to people telling you it's dangerous.

f.lux is one of the BEST tweaks ever released, particularly well suited for night-time reading.

lanny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
IPad 2 display too bright for night time use

Guess I'm waiting for Apple to step up! Otherwise the device is hurting a lot of eyes, such an unnecessary discomfort.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Guess I'm waiting for Apple to step up! Otherwise the device is hurting a lot of eyes, such an unnecessary discomfort.

lolz... then, you might have to wait for 10 years at least. Don't expect much from Apple.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Yes, it is certainly too bright. The ipad3 is considerably better -- one of the main reasons I upgraded. I always read with Stanza and using the extra dimming available with this (with a pale blue on black text) makes it comfortable to read for long periods in absolute darkness. MegaReader now has this feature too, but it can't be done with 'normal' apps unfortunately. It would be great if Apple could lower the brightness further.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
How about donning a pair of sunglasses?

Jailbreaking would fix the issue (f.lux + the various screen dimmer apps working just fine on the iPads too)... it's pretty ridiculous one has to use sunglasses(!) for something that Apple should have done at the first place.

lanny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
To quasinormal

Tried the sunglasses, as absurd as it is, it works quite well. Thanks, quasinormal!

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I've actually done this too, but more to see if it worked. Don't want to fall asleep on my ray-bans!

uugg

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
I looked at an iPad 1st generation in the dark for a few seconds and my eyes have been burning for weeks. Has this happened to anyone else?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I looked at an iPad 1st generation in the dark for a few seconds and my eyes have been burning for weeks. Has this happened to anyone else?

That may just be due to the non-retina display. ;)

Regards,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.