Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

StackSocial has launched its second 'Name Your Own Price' Mac bundle, offering 10 Mac apps to any purchasers who pay more than the average purchase price (currently $7.99). Anyone paying less than the average price receives just three apps.

Additionally, ten percent of the purchase price goes to one of three charities: Child's Play, the World Wildlife Fund, or Creative Commons.

nameyourownprice.jpg
The three apps that every buyer gets are:

Elmedia Player Pro - $20 - Flash Video Utility
HoudahSpot - $29 - Spotlight Addon
PhotoBulk - $10 - Watermark and Photo Utility

Buyers that pay more than the average price also receive:

DiskTools Pro - $80 - Hard Drive Utility
CrossOver 12 - $60 - Run Windows Software
Snapz Pro X - $69 - Screenshot and Video Utility
Paperless - $50 - Document Manager
Mac Blu-ray Player - $60 - Blu-Ray Player Software
Gemini - $10 - Duplicate File Locator
Musictube - $11 - YouTube Music Player

The deal ends in just over 7 days and it's likely the price will rise slowly because buyers need to pay at least the average price in order to get the full selection of apps.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of StackSocial.

Article Link: Name Your Own Price Mac Bundle Offers 10 Apps With 10% Going to Charity

jnpayne

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
great bundle

i'm biased, but this is a solid bundle. my fav's are: crossover, mac blu-ray player, gemini, and snapz. lots of goodies for $8+...

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
i'd been looking for a time to afford the mac blu ray player software for months. i was going to hope to get it for around £30 in a sale. but this deal takes 'the cake'. £5 for the blu ray player software? thats a steal.

i have a blu-ray drive thats been looking to compliment the app.

the rest are a bonus.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Just a word of caution, I installed Houdahspot, not really knowing what it was. I then tried to uninstall it. What a nightmare. It puts stuff in your services, it installs a helper app that even though it is not in my user profile to start on login, it still does anyway.

They most annoying this is that they don't have removal instructions of the houdah website. You are left trying to figure it out yourself.

I think I got enough pieces removed to not show in services, or the finder bar. I could still have some stuff scattered on the computer though.

Anyway, good bundle except for the lack of uninstall options for that program.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Got it, supported WWF for $8.20, donated more via their official site to make it up to $50, just feels a little more legit doing it that way. Using snapz pro and gemini, the bluray player software got me considering buying an external drive, that NEC one looks pretty neat design wise and only $40.

My dad will take advantage of paperless
a bit skeptical about the "unheard of" stuff. Disktools looks cool but do I really need it and also don't want to screw anything up on a fusion drive. crossover might come in handy oneday. Gemini and snapz pro did it for me though. :) Might have done it without the charity even but I would have done charity anyway so :)

----------

Just a word of caution

thanks for the heads up mate

gloubibou

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
I then tried to uninstall it. What a nightmare.

Hi!

I am sorry HoudahSpot left you with a bad impression.

The HoudahSpot download comes as a single file: HoudahSpot.app
Typically you would copy that to your Applications folder.
Should you later want to remove it, you can simply drag it to the Trash.

Like most well-behaved Mac applications, HoudahSpot stores it's preferences in ~/Library/Preferences. HoudahSpot actually uses two files: com.houdah.HoudahSpot.plist and com.houdah.HoudahSpotHelper.plist. It also creates a folder in ~/Library/Application Support to hold support files like the license file.

These files are so small, they probably not worth worrying about. If you do, you can simply drag them to the Trash. Alternatively you could use an uninstaller tool like AppZapper or CleanMyMac to remove these files when uninstalling HoudahSpot.

The 3 features listed under HoudahSpot > Preferences > Helper are implemented using a background application: HoudahSpotHelper.app
This runs and stays in System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items as long as any of those features is enabled.

HoudahSpotHelper.app lives inside HoudahSpot.app and is thus automatically removed when you trash HoudahSpot. If you wish to clean the dangling entry in Login Items, you can just delete it there or disable all 3 listed features before trashing HoudahSpot.app

Under HoudahSpot > Preferences > Advanced you have the option of installing a button in the Finder toolbar. This is just an alias. You may remove it at any time by command-dragging it out of the toolbar.

Under Mac OS X, applications can provide system-wide services. Applications advertise their service. The system shows services applicable to the current context in the Services and context menus.

HoudahSpot's services don't use any separate installs. They are part of the actual applications. Once you empty the trash, they will no longer be available.

In short: HoudahSpot is uninstalled by dragging it to the Trash. At worst inert files worth a couple kilobytes will be left behind.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012

You're a good guy Pierre Bernard

---------

I discovered that Snapz Pro is no better than quicktime screen recording nor built in os x screenshot haha. Nevermind! I actually really like Screeny for screen recording. I tried Screenflow but dislike how I cannot select a region. Screeny + After Effects/FCP/Premier is a winner in my books. Gemini cleaned up my iPhoto library for big space savings. Quite happy to get free software (always donate to the charity I chose anyway).

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Thank you for the instructions to remove the app. I messed up the uninstall be first trying to remove the helper app instead if the main program. (I usually leave the apps in the folder, but I didn't want it to run any helper apps if I am not actively using it.)

Trashing the complete app, then rebooting cleared everything up.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Thank you for the instructions to remove the app. I messed up the uninstall be first trying to remove the helper app instead if the main program. (I usually leave the apps in the folder, but I didn't want it to run any helper apps if I am not actively using it.)

Trashing the complete app, then rebooting cleared everything up.

yah services are triggered by the main app itself so manually quitting them through activity monitor or a restart will work. The services can still exist without any footprint in resources and they are probably a tiny file size so I wouldn't worry too much. You will most likely clean install the next OS X anyway :)

side note: funny how they call it "10 essential apps" *looks at PhotoBulk* :p

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
MacRumors is an affiliate partner of StackSocial.

Thank you. I want to see this what I quoted more often. So we users understand what is advertising (required to keep the site MacRumors) up and running. I have no issues with this as long as we are told about it. Then it does not seem like MR is selling out or just picking the apps they like to advertise.

So in short keep us informed of what is advertising articles and what isn't and you'll have a lot more happy MR users.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Thank you. I want to see this what I quoted more often. So we users understand what is advertising (required to keep the site MacRumors) up and running. I have no issues with this as long as we are told about it. Then it does not seem like MR is selling out or just picking the apps they like to advertise.

So in short keep us informed of what is advertising articles and what isn't and you'll have a lot more happy MR users.

I think it is more of a service to the users than just generic advertising :D I have scored a few things on iOS and OS X because of macrumors sidebar articles + all this stuff is for charity so maybe MR wouldn't get paid for this one.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
There are only two that would be of any use to me really...Disk Tools, and the Blu Ray Player, although I have other Apps that do that anyway. However I think it a good cause and for that reason, I think I'll donate $15 or so and grab this deal...some of the apps may well be useful on m rMBP.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
The Blu Ray movie player requires that you download and activate it within 90 days or miss out incase anyone wasn't planning on installing it.

----------

There are only two that would be of any use to me really...Disk Tools, and the Blu Ray Player, although I have other Apps that do that anyway. However I think it a good cause and for that reason, I think I'll donate $15 or so and grab this deal...some of the apps may well be useful on m rMBP.

remember only 10% goes to charity so if you don't really care for the apps you may as well go to whatever charity website you want and donate the full amount to them. Disktools pro is a good buy though :) Maybe spend $8 and then donate whatever else you want to the charity through their website instead.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I'm not sure using disktools pro on a fusion drive or SSD would be very healthy, SSDs don't need to be defragged since it doesn't spin and it would wear out the flash memory faster.

----------

Totally worth it for Codeweavers, DiskTools, and Gemini for me.

I agree for Codeweavers and Gemini :) The rest I discovered is pretty gimmicky (no offence to anyone out there)

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
So technically it's $8.00 (not $7.99) for 10 apps worth $400? That's 98% off....

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I already have DiskTools Pro, Gemini, and CrossOver 12. I can do my own automation in Photoshop, and good ol' MacTubes is free and IMO the best.

I hate that they're "buying" sales with the MacBook Air giveaway. Isn't it supposed to be for charity?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.