Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has been one of the most vocal sources claiming that Apple will be including a fingerprint sensor in the iPhone 5S, indicating that Apple's 2012 acquisition of AuthenTec is ready to bear fruit for the company as a differentiating feature for the next iPhone.

authentec_cross_section-800x507.jpg
In a new research report, Kuo outlines his belief that in order to limit rival Samsung's involvement in the iOS device supply chain, Apple will turn to a series of Taiwanese companies to support its fingerprint sensor implementation.
Assuming this is the case, we predict a production flow of the fingerprint sensor as follows: Apple (design) -> TSMC (foundry) -> Xintec (wafer-level packaging) -> ASE and Sharp (module).

While there's no question that Apple possesses key fingerprint sensor technology, we also think TSMC is a reasonable foundry choice for Apple as it used to serve AuthenTec. We expect Xintec to make the supply chain on its expertise in wafer-level packaging and TSMC is its largest share holder. However, as it was loss-making in 2012, it's possible Xintec will get capex support from TSMC for the new business.
Kuo is upbeat on the futures of TSMC and ASE, arguing that Apple will continue to forge closer ties with the Taiwanese semiconductor industry. The biggest win for Taiwanese industry would be a shift to TSMC for the A-series chips used in Apple's iOS devices. Apple has long been rumored to be working to shift production of the A-series chips from Samsung to TSMC, with the latest rumors suggesting that move may finally take place with new 20-nanometer A7 chips in early 2014.

Article Link: Apple Predicted to Tap Taiwanese Supply Chain for iPhone 5S Fingerprint Sensor

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
nope. i don't like y'alls page and am up at 2am in the morning on facebook.

Drinahn

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2003
Aussie in London
Does anyone actually care about the inclusion of a fingerprint sensor?

Personally I don't want to encourage phone thieves to also cut off my fingers.

I reckon all these finger print related rumours are barking up the wrong tree.

tylerjamison

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010

I can't wait for the inclusion of a fingerprint sensor. While it could potentially be a little finicky, hopefully Apple has learned their lesson with releasing products and software without fully vetting it first (the big one being Maps) and they really knock it out of the park.

I think it would be extremely useful to scan your fingerprint instead of entering in a passcode to unlock you phone or make a transaction. I'm all for it!

Last edited:

jdmachogg

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
I would like a fingerprint sensor for added security. Apple should make it so that if you use your middle finger to unlock the device it calls the nearest police station... that way when a thieve forces you to unlock the device you can give him the finger without him realising it.

And when they know that using your middle finger calls the cops?

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Very curious how Apple will integrate this into the iPhone. Will it be on the home button? The back? How will the UI look like. This year will definitely be exciting! Last year's WWDC was meh.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I would think visual recognition software would be much better, every time you go to unlock the phone it could take a photo and check you're using it.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I think fingerprint readers are stupid and reduce security, especially on a device you spend all day covering with your fingerprints.

I'd rather such things were not in the iPhone at all. At the very least I hope it can be completely turned off.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Along with security, what I am hoping is they implement multi user accounts and use your fingerprint to automatically log you in to your account...where you will have access to all your own apps, email, Game Center account will be logged in, etc. Sharing an iPad as it exists right now with family members or friends can be inconvenient, embarrassing, or even dangerous (giving your kids access to your work email is a really bad idea, for example).

Plus they could use it for remote authentication, for example Apple stores your fingerprint data on their servers when you register your device. Now there is no need to type passwords for iTunes purchases, in fact they could even store all your web passwords remotely, tied to the fingerprint, and log you in across the internet. Or, you could sign digital contracts and such without signing and faxing paper documents.

Although, making the device with matte surfaces and a matte screen that doesn't show your print might be a good safety measure.

Last edited:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I wonder could security agencies tap into this. Technically (but probably not legally), they could fingerprint everyone using one of these iPhones. That's kinda spooky. Looking for a terrorist? Let's fingerprint everyone on an iPhone connecting to cells in this city.

On the plus side, if your new iPhone is stolen, maybe Find my iPhone could send u a fingerprint of the thief, to send to the police.

(I know, this technology probably only stores a hash of the print, not a print image itself. But a) future versions may offer that ability. Or b) it's possible they're not being truthful when they say it doesn't record the image).

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Now Apple would impress me if the full screen become the sensor ... Enough fingerprints are on it. I really hope they don't make those classical bronze-colored reader each Lenovo has.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009

I do. A solution that gets rid of the need for passwords, as long as it's a nice, neat solution that doesn't require the user to do much other than register his/her fingerprint, would be a real improvement. Even better, you could link it to multiple user accounts. When your kid unlocks the device (iPad maybe) he/she can't buy in-app purchases or make calls, for instance.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

The tech Apple bought can tell the difference between dead and live fingers....

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Very curious how Apple will integrate this into the iPhone. Will it be on the home button? The back? How will the UI look like. This year will definitely be exciting! Last year's WWDC was meh.

Same here! I think home button would be the best place for the user to have a finger print sensor.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Same here! I think home button would be the best place for the user to have a finger print sensor.

if they really need to make a finger print reader they should physically combine it with the powerswitch. That would be enough space on the side of the device and keep the "iconic" home button intact. :eek:
I didn't yet mentioned (and no body want to read, I know): better give me a NFC chip; more value add in my eyes. ;)

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

yes, personally I do care if I won't have to enter my password hundred of times a day.

And what's this about thieves cutting off your fingers? Seriously man, can't you just think for a sec? Who on earth would wan't your phone unlocked for your data (unless you are a spy or something) Thieves usually mug you, grab your phone and disappear! So relax, your fingers will be fine.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
While the fingerprint sensor mildly interests me, apple moving further away from Samsung is better news. The sooner they can divest themselves of Samsung the better. It is clear Samsung has exploited their manufacturing work with apple for their own hardware designs.

I would like to see Samsung have to forge their own way. I would not be surprised if apple has some future features and changes on hold until they can do them without Samsung.

----------

I can't wait for the inclusion of a fingerprint sensor. While it could potentially be a little finicky, hopefully Apple has learned their lesson with releasing products and software without fully vetting it first (the big one being Maps) and they really knock it out of the park.

I think it would be extremely useful to scan your fingerprint instead of entering in a passcode to unlock you phone or make a transaction. I'm all for it!
I agree, if I could just touch the phone to securely access it, it would be very useful. Same if tied into iTunes purchases and everything.

----------

I think fingerprint readers are stupid and reduce security, especially on a device you spend all day covering with your fingerprints.

I'd rather such things were not in the iPhone at all. At the very least I hope it can be completely turned off.

I don't think you understand the technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.